PDA

View Full Version : E100G discontinued

Chuck Mintz
28-May-2010, 11:37
I don't want to start a rumor but neither B&H, Adorama or Calumet have any 4x5 or 8x10. I talked to three people at Kodak who did not know anything. The third guy did know a guy who would know but said maven is on vacation. Any one have any hard facts? Is this the end of LF chromes?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
28-May-2010, 11:51
If you don't want to start a rumor, why don't you change the title of your question to "E100G Status"? That way you won't be suggesting that it is...

Chuck Mintz
28-May-2010, 11:55
I noticed that I had left the question mark off after I saw it posted. Nobody's perfect. I hope the heck I am wrong and will be completely embarrassed.

Mark Stahlke
28-May-2010, 12:44
The monthly "Film is Dead" thread. Ho hum.

I don't want to start a rumor...
Then why did you?

Bruce Watson
28-May-2010, 12:56
I don't want to start a rumor...

Consider calling Kodak and asking? If you don't want to start a rumor, try finding facts first. Just sayin'.

Kodak's number is 800.242.2424. Extension 19 is "Kodak Professional" which can be the source for answers to questions like yours.

Chuck Mintz
28-May-2010, 13:10
Boy, sorry to have offended all the sensitive guys on here. My post said I had called Kodak three times, including the number Bruce had given and no one had a definitive answer. As I said, the third guy knew someone who would know but the someone was on vacation.
I asked "Anyone have any hard facts?" because I was not able to get them from Kodak.
"Is this the end of LF chromes?" may have lacked elegance but was intended to find out if anyone had real info the contrary. To solve a real problem I have.

Bob Salomon
28-May-2010, 13:39
Boy, sorry to have offended all the sensitive guys on here. My post said I had called Kodak three times, including the number Bruce had given and no one had a definitive answer. As I said, the third guy knew someone who would know but the someone was on vacation.
I asked "Anyone have any hard facts?" because I was not able to get them from Kodak.
"Is this the end of LF chromes?" may have lacked elegance but was intended to find out if anyone had real info the contrary. To solve a real problem I have.

Then why not wait and ask the guy who is supposed to know? Why would anyone here know?

Greg Blank
28-May-2010, 16:19
The best way to make sure they do in the future is order it and wait, being patient is a virtue, something Americans seem at loss for these days. Kodak I know produces films in cycles. Ordering a lot of film in the winter makes practical sense if you want it when the wheather breaks.

I don't want to start a rumor but neither B&H, Adorama or Calumet have any 4x5 or 8x10. I talked to three people at Kodak who did not know anything. The third guy did know a guy who would know but said maven is on vacation. Any one have any hard facts? Is this the end of LF chromes?

Greg Blank
28-May-2010, 16:36
Mark;

Can we give other people the benefit of the doubt, or does it go against some unwritten charter?

The monthly "Film is Dead" thread. Ho hum.
Then why did you?

Gary L. Quay
29-May-2010, 02:10
I think that we should stop complaining about the way he asked the question, and help him answer it.

First: when I try to fins the status of a film, I go to the manufacturer's web site. Kodak still lists E100G in its product list, and has no press releases stating that it's been discontinued. Second: I went what I call "The Oracle @ Yahoo!" and typed in "Kodak E100G 4x5 discontinued," and did not find any relevant threads. On the B&H web site, it said "Temporarily out of stock." Only the 50 sheet boxes have been discontinued. Calumet Photo has some 10 sheet boxes in stock.

--Gary

Chuck Mintz
29-May-2010, 03:44
Two weeks ago I had told my local dealer, Dodd Camera, that I would continue buying my film from B&H primarily because they stocked it and it was easier and cheaper. I also have some loyalty to B&H, having spoken at Event Space last summer When I could not get an answer from Kodak, I swallowed my embarrassment and called Dodd and they went after the facts. They were told the 50 sheet box was discontinued but the other sizes were available. That makes some sense although not a great sign for the future. There are also going to be issues of cost but that is no surprise. The also checked Fuji Astia which is a available. It has disappeared from the national guys sites and they also have gone through a, thoroughly documented, change from ten to 20 sheet boxes. Thanks to the folks that either had solid info or made an attempt to get some. I am in the midst of three large projects, one of which I am doing some shooting this afternoon and the status of this stuff is important. One of the projects was started on E64T which was discontinued.

Eric Leppanen
29-May-2010, 11:18
Samy's also has 4x5 E100G in stock in 10 sheet boxes.

Both Kodak and Fuji are running very lean film inventories to help cope with the dramatic film demand reductions of the last few years. If you follow Ebay film auctions, you'll note that there are far fewer auctions for expired sheet film by liquidators (such as Hunt's) than there used to be. The flip side is that 4x5 sheet film now typically ships in 10 sheet boxes (for Kodak; Fuji will be standardizing on 20 sheets) and there will be occasional inventory shortages. Normally Kodak provides expected ship dates for their next film run of each emulsion, and if you call up a major retailer such as B&H they should be able to give you this information.

Both Kodak and Fuji normally issue some type of end-of-life notice for film discontinuations (Kodak is better at this than Fuji), so you shouldn't have to infer whether a film is still in production or not simply by its retail inventory status.

gnuyork
4-Jun-2010, 05:10
Boy, sorry to have offended all the sensitive guys on here.

There seems to be a lot of that. Especially if you are a new poster as I have found out myself.

Drew Wiley
4-Jun-2010, 13:33
I just got some 8x10 from Badger. B&H has been intermittently out of it for as long as this film has been available; so when it's in stock I always order an extra box and
put in the freezer. I've never had an issue getting 4x5.

mrladewig
4-Jun-2010, 15:29
Badger doesn't have it listed on their website right now, but it seems they normally carry it. You might give them a call to see if they've got it. Kodak has been good posting their discontinuances and new product announcements.

Greg Blank
4-Jun-2010, 17:49
I just got some 8x10 from Badger. B&H has been intermittently out of it for as long as this film has been available; so when it's in stock I always order an extra box and
put in the freezer. I've never had an issue getting 4x5.

Last count at Omega Brandess was 48+ boxes in the walk in waiting to be disbatched.

ljsegil
6-Jun-2010, 06:26
If it would interest any of you using E100G we are putting together a special purchase of E100VS 8x10 with the help of Badger Graphic. We are very close to the minimum number of orders needed to meet Kodak's requirement to produce the film, if interested orders can be entered through the Badger website. More details in the Resource forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=60010

It's a different look from E100G, and a film long unavailable in 8x10, but perhaps might suit the needs of someone here?
Hopefully,
Larry

Chuck Mintz
10-Jun-2010, 15:08
To close the matter, two working days after my last contact to Kodak they emailed that it was not discontinued and gave me the catalog number for the ten sheet box. No mention of the sku reduction. Everyone has the film back in stock and the expire date is June 2012 so it appears to be a new batch. Thanks again to everyone who attempted to sort this out.