PDA

View Full Version : A change between a Sinar F2 and a field camera..

charlie jay
28-May-2010, 04:58
Hi everyone,
I am a photography student in the UK and i shoot primarily large format.
I have been used to using a Sinar f from our camera store for nearly 2 years now and enjoyed it, so, in October i bought my own Sinar f2 all the way from the US!

Now, i am beginning to wonder why i have a camera that takes up a whole backpack when i could have one that does all i need for taking up 1/5 of the space! I thought i needed it for the flexibility and ridiculous movements but really, i don't need that many movements do i? Its a really nice camera but i only ever use it on long walks and it becomes a bit cumbersome!

The thought came to me when i saw my lecturer, Jem Southam, set up his 10x8 camera the other day. I realised i was carrying the same amount of bags as him but with only 1 camera, 1 lens, a few darkslides and a quickload holder! Something, i thought, was not right.

Basically i am on the search for the perfect(ish) camera for me. I am on a tight budget and don't really want to spend much more after selling my Sinar. Everyone raves about the Horseman 45FA and that maybe what i need but they seem to be really hard to find. The Chamonix 45-N2 also looks lovely and is really well priced so that is another option.

Lens-wise, i only really use a Fujinon CMW 150mm.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ advice for me?

Any help will be much appreciated! Especially if someone is after a lovely Sinar f2 in exchange for one of the cameras mentioned... haha.

Thanks,
Charlie

uhner
28-May-2010, 05:55
The cameras you mention are certainly more compact than a Sinar F2, but I can’t help wondering how you pack your gear… Unless you need to carry a lot of other equipment like overnight hiking gear, the bulk of a fairly light monorail should not be an issue.

But if you want to change you camera, my advice is to try the model in question before you decide.

IanG
28-May-2010, 06:33
Personally I don't enjoy using a monorail in the landscape although I have a light weight Cambo and did use that on a trip back to the UK & Cornwall last year.

This year I brought my Wista 45DX instead and on a few occasions was shooting alongside a Sinar user, the field camera is so much faster & easier to use & carry in the landscape. I also had a 10x8 but that means much less walking :D

Ian

Bob McCarthy
28-May-2010, 06:57
The cameras you mention are certainly more compact than a Sinar F2, but I can’t help wondering how you pack your gear… Unless you need to carry a lot of other equipment like overnight hiking gear, the bulk of a fairly light monorail should not be an issue.

But if you want to change you camera, my advice is to try the model in question before you decide.

I agree with this point. A backpack is usually not the best way to cary a Sinar F.

A shoulder bag with three compartments works great. Hang the monorail upside down into center pocket, other pockets work great for lenses, holders stc.

Invert OB and tuck between the standards makes the Sinar F much more compact.

bob

kev curry
28-May-2010, 07:00
There are plenty of threads here on all the various field camera options both wooden and metal. You couldn't go wrong with either a Chamonix or a Tachihara.

Jim Noel
28-May-2010, 08:21
Is there a place for you to rent cameras? Doing so over a weekend will give you the opportunity to try before you buy. Perhaps some of the other students have cameras which they would be willing to let you try also.

rdenney
28-May-2010, 22:11
Badger Graphic Supply is now selling the new Shen-Hao 4x5 field camera that is Sinar compatible in that it uses the same lens board and bellows (and other attachments that use those interfaces). Might be a way to add to your capabilities rather than starting over.

Rick "wishing he had some loose change right now" Denney

Kevin Thomas
28-May-2010, 23:26
Hi Charlie,

I am in Cornwall and have a Horseman FA45 if you want to meet up and give it a try send me a PM. As well as the camera I have a range of accessories, RFH, viewfinder and extension back. My lenses 65mm, 75mm, 90mm, 135mm, 210mm and 300mm lenses. So you should get a good idea of the advantages and limitations of the camera.

I am in Looe Mon - Fri and Falmouth at weekends.

Peter De Smidt
30-May-2010, 03:10
A Toyo AX might be worth a look as well.

gevalia
30-May-2010, 15:11
I love my F2. In fact I have 2. And even though I can still carry quite a bit, loosing the 10 pounds in the field was great. That said, I still won't part with 1 of them.