PDA

View Full Version : nikkor 135w or 150w?

smith
8-Apr-2002, 20:05
Can someone tell me something about the Nikkor135W and the Nikkor 150W? I don't know wich one is best 4 me. Infact I need a "normal" lens for my 4x5 camera; I p resume that the 135W is better for architecture ( that's what I need ) but I'm a fraid that it can not allow enough movements so that's why I was considerin' the 150W. Can someone help me? Thanx

Eugene
8-Apr-2002, 22:14
After using a 150 f5.6 W Nikon lens for over ten years, I recently sold it and purchased a 150 Fujinon CM-W. The Fuji has nearly the same image circle, but it takes a 67 mm screw-in filter (my standard size).The Nikon requires a step-up ring from 52 mm to 67 mm. Both are excellent lenses. Regarding the choice between a 135, or a 150, I would choose the 150 for its larger image circle. As soon as possible, obtain a 90 f8 SW Nikon, and you will have an outstanding set of matched lenses for architecture. Check with Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange (mpex.com). he has several used Nikons in stock, at very reasonable prices.

Pete Andrews
9-Apr-2002, 11:59
A 135 is too short for a general purpose lens on 5x4, IMHO. The image circle won't allow you enough lens shift to take full advantage of using LF.The 150 mm would be a better all-round lens, unless you're going to be using a 6x9 rollfilm back.If you really need a wider lens, then go for something like the 90 mm SW Nikkor, Super Angulon, Grandagon-N, or a Symmar XL. These wide-angle lenses have a much bigger image circle than the 135 mm Nikkor-W, giving you the front rise you'll need for architectural work.

David Karp
9-Apr-2002, 12:00
If you are going to photograph architecture, it is somewhat likely that over time you will end up with a lens in the 115mm to 125mm focal length, in addition to a 90mm and perhaps a 75mm or wider. If you see the 115-125mm focal length as a possibility for you, the 150mm is a better choice than the 135mm. By the way, the 90mm that Eugene recommended is a nice choice in the group of 90mm lenses with f/8 max apertures. It is the only one with an image circle comparable to the bigger, more expensive 90mm f/5.6 or f.4.5 lenses.

I have no experience with the Nikon lenses you mentioned. I do have a very nice 450mm Nikon. It is a very nice lens. I second the recommendation to talk to Jim. Very knowledgeable, easy to deal with. Ask him any questions you might have about these lenses, or lenses from any other manufacturers. I have purchased several items from him. The used lens I bought from him looked like it was never touched prior to my purchase.

Best of luck.

smith
9-Apr-2002, 16:20
Thank you very much for your suggestions! It seems to be right to me to tell you that I already own a 75 SW , 90 SW and a 210.Thanks again!

David Karp
9-Apr-2002, 21:23
I was in the same position as you at one time, with a 75, 90, and 210. I opted for a 125mm lens, going for a mild wide angle rather than a normal lens. So far, I am pleased with the choice. I thought about splitting the difference and going with a 135mm, but finally decided that if I decide I need a normal lens some day, a 150mm would be a better normal lens, and the 125mm would be better than the 135mm for both architecture and other mild wide angle needs. I am betting that I won't ever need the 150mm.

However, If someone offered me a 150mm and a 135mm lens, I think I would go with the 150mm and its larger image circle, even if I did not have the 125mm. If the 150mm proved too long for a tight space, I would just use the 90mm and move the camera (if possible) or crop the image.

Just an opinion, hope it helps.