PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 2D 8x10

Mike Fiction
27-May-2010, 08:14
I had posted a WTB in the buy sell section but got no bites. Does anyone know where I could find a tripod block for a 2D 8x10? I've tried googling and most links send me back here to old discussions about it - haha

Anybody have a source for 2D parts?

Brian Ellis
27-May-2010, 09:12
As you've discovered, finding the tripod block being sold by itself is next to impossible, you just don't usually see them sold that way, they're normally sold with the camera. And that's unfortunate because IMHO if you have the rear extension and are using a long lens you really need the tripod block. I'd suggest either trying to pick up a beater camera for a low price that has the block (probably almost as difficult as finding the block alone) or asking Richard Ritter to make one for you.

IanG
27-May-2010, 09:58
I need to get a tripod block for my second Agfa Ansco 10x8 and having just cleaned up and restored the first will now just get one made for me.

A local joiners have just made an excellent new front standard for a quarter plate camera for me and next time I come back to the UK I'll get them to make the wooden part of the Tripod block and I'll get a local engineering shop to make the Brass edges, the tightening bar can easily be bought from a variety of sources.

I'd expect the total cost to be quite low.

Ian

Michael Roberts
27-May-2010, 10:18
I think I've got one that apparently was made to fit a whole plate-- it's 3/8 in. narrower than the 8x10 size. You could easily stretch it with a 3/16 insert on each side. Send me a PM if you are interested.

William McEwen
27-May-2010, 11:00
The George Eastman House has Stieglitz's 8x10 2D.

If it's on display, bring a friend. One of you distract the guard while the other...

Never mind. Too risky. :D

Mark Fisher
27-May-2010, 17:58
I have one that I occasionally use and I don't have a tripod block. I thought about making a sliding one, but instead I simply made a fixed tripod block and attached it between the extension rails. It is probably isn't as nice as the factory block, but it works for me.

Peter De Smidt
27-May-2010, 18:33
Ask Richard Ritter how much his making one would cost.

Wade D
27-May-2010, 23:23
I thought I saw someone selling one on APUG but not sure.

Curt
27-May-2010, 23:28
I have one that I occasionally use and I don't have a tripod block. I thought about making a sliding one, but instead I simply made a fixed tripod block and attached it between the extension rails. It is probably isn't as nice as the factory block, but it works for me.

Sounds interesting Mark, I've got an 8x10 and 5x7 Kodak 2D and neither has the block. How did you make your support?

Regards,
Curt

IanG
28-May-2010, 00:54
The major advantage of the block is it allows the centre of gravity of the camera to be adjusted to balance the camera on a tripod. By the time you've made a fixed block you're more than halfway to making a sliding block

Ian

Eric Woodbury
28-May-2010, 09:44
I have a block and some other parts for the rear standard. The edges are beat, though, so I don't think the block is usable as is. You would have to take the hardware from it and cut a new piece of wood. Everything is a project.

Peter De Smidt
28-May-2010, 11:20
That would be an easy project, though. You need to cut the piece to size and then cut a channel across for the rod. The metal side plates are simply screwed on, and you'd have to put a threaded insert (or something similar) for a tripod attaching head. You could use baltic birch plywood.

Joe Smigiel
28-May-2010, 13:29
I think I've got one that apparently was made to fit a whole plate-- it's 3/8 in. narrower than the 8x10 size. You could easily stretch it with a 3/16 insert on each side. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Michael,

I just picked up a whole plate Eastman View #2 which I understand is almost identical to the 2D except for the tone of the wood. I'd love to acquire a sliding block for it. My rail is 8 3/16" wide.

I'll PM.

Joe