PDA

View Full Version : thermometer for those of us starting to play the trombone...

77seriesiii
27-May-2010, 03:08
Ok, the eye doc cracked a few jokes at my expense during my last checkup. Asked me if I play the trombone?...Uh no, why? You know when you read, she then made the sliding motion with her hand and trying to get a book into focus and told me to start considering BI-FOCALS :eek:

So there I said it, getting old. On top of that, I need to purchase a few darkroom thermometers...any suggestions out there from those already afflicted with crappy short vision? :rolleyes:

Denial...just not a river in Egypt.

Erick

eddie
27-May-2010, 03:16
har har har! told you you are an old f*ck!

old guys buy the beers in europe. do not be late!

i use a digital thermometer. just get as BIG one.

eddie

ps. i wrote this bigger just for you! :eek:

77seriesiii
27-May-2010, 03:21
Karma is a BITCH...I've met her :p

you will get yours

./e

eddie
27-May-2010, 03:25
Karma is a BITCH...I've met her :p

you will get yours

./e

are you sure? what did she look like? could you really SEE her?

77seriesiii
27-May-2010, 03:46
vague silhouette, 'looked' good took a chance, my suggestion dont do it. Dont f*ck with Karma, her sisters Luck and Fate are usually very close and you just dont need that type of exposure.

./e

kev curry
27-May-2010, 04:10
Highly recommended and a great company to deal with....

http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/thermometer.html

Jan Pedersen
27-May-2010, 06:19
If you buy a digital thermometer make sure it has a quick update frequency, i made a mistake buying a Kaiser from Freestyle and it only updates every 9 seconds unless you push a button for a 3 second update frequency. The Kaiser thermometer has the sensor probe attached with a wire so in order to use the 3 second update one basically need to use both hands, not very userfriendly and not recomended.

77seriesiii
27-May-2010, 06:26
Kev,

Thanks will take a look, do you use this thermometer?

./e

77seriesiii
27-May-2010, 06:29
Jan,

Thank you for the vote of no confidence. I was looking at the Kaiser, just didnt want to drop $90. Been looking at the big dial analogs and of course found a digital at B&H but out of stock.

Hunt continues.

./e

kev curry
27-May-2010, 09:17
Erick, yes I use one and I'm very happy with it. When I bought it I placed both the digital thermometer and my trusty old mercury thermometer into a beaker of (random temperature) water and both were in complete agreement with each other at 24.8*c.
In fact both thermometers remained in complete agreement with each other all the way down as the temperature gradually fell to 18*c.
Its actually built to be dishwasher safe so its very robust and can safely be used for stirring chemistry.
Dr Richard Ross of RH Designs is the guy who designed and manufactures the well respected range of StopClock f-stop Enlarger Timer's. He's great to deal with to.

BTW the digits on the readout measure 8mm in height, so quite large for the dimming eyes of an old fart;-)

One more thing theres a ''Full two year guarantee, plus 14 day refund if you are not completely satisfied'' with the product!

Jim Galli
27-May-2010, 10:15
I bought a cheapo one from radio shack a long time ago that has the probe that's supposed to go out the window and tell you the outdoor temp. I just drop the probe in the soup, or in the case of E6 which is what I really bought it for, the water in the JOBO that keeps everything at 100.

77seriesiii
27-May-2010, 11:49
ahh didnt think of the radio shack option. We have a Conrad's up the street from where I live, think of Conrads as the electronics store that Radio Shack wants to be. I can buy tubes for my stereo, resistors, caps, solar panels, remote control gear, and and and...My wife HATES Conrad's, so that is a vote of confidence.

./e

Doremus Scudder
28-May-2010, 04:09
Tiny thermometer, strong reading glasses (they live in the pocket of my darkroom apron). Get several strengths at your local dollar (or whatever currency) store.

Best,

Doremus Scudder