PDA

View Full Version : Let's Do a Portrait Party in Southern California!

Hugo Zhang
25-May-2010, 09:49
Hi Everybody,

I am thinking of throwing a farewell party for my dear friend Domenico sometime in July or August in my house in walnut, California. My rental house sits on 4 acres of land with lots of old trees.

The theme of the party is LF portraiture. Tri Tran and I are going to commisson Demenico to do some family portraiture and I hope to see a few more people having their portraits taken dusing the party. This is a rare chance to have your own pictures taken and crafted by such a talented LF photographer. You can even choose your favorite lenses for your portraiture among a dozen or so old lenses. Visual Quality, Hermagis Eidoscope, Euryscope, Universal Heliar, Dallmeyer Anastigmat Portrait and Verito, to name a few.

Even if you don't feel like to have Domenico to take your pictures, you are welcome to this party and can play and shoot with these lenses. Tri will bring his 11x14 and 20x24 cameras and a few canons and I will have my old Kodak 2D and maybe a new 16x20 camera with 14x17 reducing back for this party. Bring your cameras and lenses if you like.

It will be on a Sunday and will last whole day. No naked ladies will be invited this time as we want to take each other's pictures. I will be the chef of the day with a mouth watering BBQ served at the end of the day.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome and let's have lots of fun!

Hugo

Richard K.
25-May-2010, 11:57
Wish I could be there Hugo, but it's a bit of a drive for me! Have fun! :D

eddie
25-May-2010, 12:00
sounds great...too bad it was not on the right coast! :)

have fun. sorry to miss it.

e

Jay DeFehr
25-May-2010, 19:20
That does sound like fun! Actually, it sounds more than fun; it sounds like an amazing opportunity! I wish I could attend, carrying big boxes of big film! I'm not much for being photographed, but I'd love to have my portrait made by Domenico, or Hugo, or many others here, and I'd love to have an opportunity to make theirs. I'm sure those fortunate enough to attend will have a great time, and I hope we less unfortunate will see some of the spoils here in the form of posted portraits.

Daniel Stone
26-May-2010, 09:56
sounds good Hugo!

I'm just north of you, I'm in glendora, just above Covina about 5mi.

is this an open event for anyone?

-Dan

Hugo Zhang
26-May-2010, 10:02
Dan,

Come on down and you will make some new LF friends!

Hugo

matthew blais
26-May-2010, 16:36
Sounds fun Hugo...I'll check back when you get a date for this.

Wally
27-May-2010, 09:07
I'm in S.D. and this sounds great! Are wives invited?

Any thoughts on what we could bring, ie: Pot Luck?

Jim Galli
27-May-2010, 10:09
Also waiting for the date to firm up. I might want to try for the "farthest distance traveled" ribbon.

Hugo Zhang
27-May-2010, 10:58
Wally,

Wives are welcome.

Jim,

It looks like mid or late July at the moment. Which weekend is best for you? We certainly can arrange it to see it will fit. Everybody down here miss you. :)

Matt,

You have to come because you are so close.

Tri Tran
27-May-2010, 21:07
Hi Hugo,
Thanks for coordinating all this to make it happen. I have been busy lately and hope that we can all get together sometime the last two weeks of July. This is exciting and I look forward to seeing more faces from this forum. Keep me posted and let me know what I can bring.
Domenico,
This party is all for you, to help cheer and support a true artist like you. I hope to see you again many times in the future in Italy. The door might be closed but the window will be open. No worries. Cheers.

SocalAstro
28-May-2010, 12:44
Hugo,

I would love to come and meet folks from the forum in person.

Keep me posted :-)

Cheers,
Leon

Richard K.
28-May-2010, 13:49
sounds great...too bad it was not on the right coast! :)

have fun. sorry to miss it.

e

Hey Eddie, how did your "nude self-portraits" party go? :D

Hugo Zhang
28-May-2010, 16:57
Leon,

You are welcome. It will be one of the Sundays in late July. I will keep you posted.

Hugo

Hugo Zhang
8-Jun-2010, 15:57
OK, Guys.

The date: July 25th, Sunday.

Place: 21002 Cantel Place, Walnut, CA 91789

Time: 8:00AM to 8:00PM

I need a head count here so I will cook enough food. :)

Hugo

matthew blais
8-Jun-2010, 19:47
I'm good for July 25th Hugo

Wally
9-Jun-2010, 10:53
July 25th works for me. My wife _may_ attend, If I can persuade her sufficiently.:o

Tri Tran
12-Jun-2010, 23:24
Looks good , Hugo. I want to see your 16x20 Chamonix and the 4x5 PS if you receive them in time. Please have Hass expedited the shipping.

Mel
2-Jul-2010, 19:02
Thank you so much for inviting me to your party, Hugo. You made my day. Somehow this New York transplant thought you lived in Walnut Creek in Northern CA not in my own backyard down here. All I can say is !WOW!

I'm hoping that you selected July 25th as the party date because you know that the Chamonix 45N-2 shipment expected in three weeks will arrive by then. If so, that is the camera I will bring to the part.:D ;) :cool:

I'll study up this weekend and figure out the accessories I want and will place my order shortly.

Many thanks again.

Looking forward...

Melanie

Jim Fitzgerald
3-Jul-2010, 20:50
Hugo, you can count me in! I'll bring my 11x14 and my Darlot. Need to do some portrait work with this set up. We can try the green sensitive x-ray film.

Jim

Brian_A
10-Jul-2010, 20:22
Hugo,

Any more slots open? If my wife isn't at sea I think I could swing it.

Thanks,

-Brian

Hugo Zhang
10-Jul-2010, 20:47
Brian,

You are welcome!

Hugo

Brian_A
11-Jul-2010, 12:53
Hugo,

Sweet, I'll be doing what I can to make it up North to ya! I think the wifey will be in town, so I'll be good to go. (Gotta have someone to look after the kid, after all.) I'll be riding solo up there, for counting purposes.

Thanks!

-Brian

Michael Wynd
14-Jul-2010, 22:50
Hugo,
please post pics from the party here, so that those overseas can see who's who.
thanks
Mike

SocalAstro
19-Jul-2010, 09:50
Unfortunately I have a wedding to attend that day so i won't be able to make it :-(
maybe next time

-Leon

Leon,

You are welcome. It will be one of the Sundays in late July. I will keep you posted.

Hugo

Mel
21-Jul-2010, 21:57
Hugo,

Looking forward to the Portrait Party on Sunday! Are you sure I can't bring anything? An Italian sandwich platter I served up last weekend made a big hit. :)

Don't forget to do your laps before the gathering.;)

Can't wait to play with your cameras, and I won't mention the rumor about the Chamonix 617 coming out later this year.:cool: But I'm glad I now know because I've been dreaming of a Fotoman, which has since changed. :p

Mel
21-Jul-2010, 22:06
:eek: Hugo, I hope that troll doesn't show up to your party. :eek:
(I've only been "present" for a month and quickly figured him out.
Can you imagine what he could have accomplished in three years
with positive energy? Mama mia.)

Hugo Zhang
22-Jul-2010, 09:29
Ok Guys,

I need to change the time just a little bit because I can't miss my daily swim.

Time: 10:30AM to 8:00PM

My cell: 909-576-1199

We will have some snacks for lunch for those who come early and a big BBQ dinner to end the party.

Please bring your recent work to share with everybody and be prepared to have your face studied and your pictures taken with many old lenses by different photographers.

We are going to have tons of fun!!!

We wil have plenty of food and all kinds of drinks will be flowing all afternoon. You are welcome to bring something only it's special and made with your hands. :)

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Jul-2010, 19:56
Hugo, I could bring some of my carbon "glop" as a snack for the adventurous! But then again I think I'll just bring some finished prints instead.

Jim

Hugo Zhang
22-Jul-2010, 20:23
Jim,

Please do. I am dying to see your carbon prints. :)

Tri Tran
24-Jul-2010, 00:06
Hugo,
I have plan in the afternoon but will be there in the morning until noon.Hope to see everyone there.

matthew blais
25-Jul-2010, 21:29
Thanks Hugo for being a wonderful host. Enjoyed seeing Tri again and meeting Mel. Of course my friends Domenico and Jim are both always fun to visit with.

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Jul-2010, 08:19
Great friends, great HUGE lenses to see. Especially the HUGE canons that Tri had in his car. Each had it's own milk crate! I mean HUGE. Thanks for setting up the 11x14 so we could look through some of these beasts. Great discussions about our work and beautiful prints to look at. The food was fantastic, Thanks Hugo, and the light in the afternoon was like magic! Can't wait to see some negatives from my 11x14. All in all a great time.

Jim

Hugo Zhang
26-Jul-2010, 08:50
Thanks everybody for showing up. I still have some hang over from too much drinks. Nothing beats bunchs of LF friends looking at each other prints and talking about art and life and then shooting in the beautifully afternnon light. Seems everybody had a great time and I believe I had a few good negatives too.

Hugo

Tri Tran
26-Jul-2010, 11:57
Thanks Hugo and Vicky for inviting us. We sure have a wonderful day with all the foods , drinks and so many lenses , prints , camera to play with. Thanks for showing us the new 4x5 Chameica . A great reinvented a wonderful Range Finder Leica 4x5 PS . A truly a classic !
Glad to see Jim, Mat and Domenico again and so much enjoyed the Carbon prints from Jim . I feel very fortunate to see and hold them in person for a beautiful Carbon Prints Collection . Awsome work Jim. Thanks again for showing them and looking forward to learn the process when I finalized my schedule.
Again , thanks to Hugo to put all this for the third time LF Forum members get together and hoping the 4th meeting will happen soon. Best to all.

fuegocito
26-Jul-2010, 13:52
How about some pix for those of us who are not fortunate enough to be out west:) with that many photographers there, someone must have had a digicam of sort, just my guess.

Sorry to have missed the Party Hugo, I decided to stick with my original plan and rode up the Mexico east coast instead, Karma should have it that I rode right into another hurricane in the North-eastern Mexico, DOA!!!!

Rob

Richard K.
26-Jul-2010, 14:55
How about some pix for those of us who are not fortunate enough to be out west:)

Here, here, post here!! :D

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Jul-2010, 16:38
Well, I'm out when it comes to a digital camera. I only brought the 11x14 and I don't own a digital camera. I don't think anyone was shooting any digital but then again we were all liquored up so I don't remember!! The people who did not make it missed a great time. Thanks again Hugo!

Jim

Mel
26-Jul-2010, 22:44
Thanks again for inviting me, Hugo.
It was nice to meet everyone and
great to see so many LF photographers
and camera gathered in one place.
All that fun should be illegal. Yes,
the light was special, too. Can't
wait to see my pics, too. Wish I
had a scanner to post some 35mm.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Jul-2010, 19:15
My negatives are amazing. The light at the end of the day was spectacular. Wait till you see the x-ray film and how it handled the range of tones and i can't wait to print some carbons. WOW!

Jim

Hugo Zhang
28-Jul-2010, 20:42
Jim,

For the last three days, I have been enjoying Nathan's music. :) One of the best part of my time that day was listening to your life stories. I think we should have mandatory LF member meetings once a year, just to get to know each other better.

BTW, you promised me one of your carbon prints from this shoot out of your generosity and blissful drunkenness. :)

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Jul-2010, 21:34
Jim,

For the last three days, I have been enjoying Nathan's music. :) One of the best part of my time that day was listening to your life stories. I think we should have mandatory LF member meetings once a year, just to get to know each other better.

BTW, you promised me one of your carbon prints from this shoot out of your generosity and blissful drunkenness. :)

Glad you liked Nathans performance. He truly has a gift.

Yes, a carbon print will be your for hosting such a fine event. I just finished developing the last 4 sheets ( i shot all 8 after all). The image at the side of the house at the end of the day are great. Some fantastic carbon print are to be made soon and one will be yours.

Jim

Richard K.
28-Jul-2010, 21:43
Glad you liked Nathans performance. He truly has a gift.

Yes, a carbon print will be your for hosting such a fine event. I just finished developing the last 4 sheets ( i shot all 8 after all). The image at the side of the house at the end of the day are great. Some fantastic carbon print are to be made soon and one will be yours.

Jim

Hey Jim, could you post the photo for those of us who live too far to have been a part of this great event? :)

Love to see other photos and OF the event too!

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Jul-2010, 21:52
Hey Jim, could you post the photo for those of us who live too far to have been a part of this great event? :)

Love to see other photos and OF the event too!

Richard, I will post one of my carbon prints from this event ASAP. I'm hoping to print tomorrow. I was only shooting 11x14 and managed a portrait of Domenico. The rest of what I shot was some great texture around Hugo's home. Mel was shooting 35mm film and I don't think anyone had a digital. Next time we need someone to document the drunkenness and revelry.

Jim

Richard K.
29-Jul-2010, 06:54
Richard, I will post one of my carbon prints from this event ASAP.

Excellent!

....I don't think anyone had a digital.

Why does this make me strangely happy?

Next time we need someone to document the drunkenness and revelry.

Jim

Always a good idea..

eddie
30-Jul-2010, 01:47
Sorry to have missed the Party Hugo, I decided to stick with my original plan and rode up the Mexico east coast instead,
Rob

this is like a pattern for robert....always riding some bicycle in foreign countries when awesome get togethers happen.

are you learning anything robert? :)

Hugo Zhang
30-Jul-2010, 06:01
That's why I invited him, figuring if he could ride all the way into some south American countries, he could make a detour on his way back.

Hugo Zhang
30-Jul-2010, 16:19
Here are some pictures from a tiny 35mm P&S Nikon.

Hugo Zhang
30-Jul-2010, 16:31

Hugo Zhang
30-Jul-2010, 16:34

Jim Fitzgerald
31-Jul-2010, 10:49
Well, I have a crop of an 11x14 image that I took at Hugo's. Actually it is the set up that you see me at with the 11x14. I had to scan it so it is just a crop of the image. The light was nice and I shot this on green sensitive x-ray film with my 15" Ilex process lens. Printed in carbon transfer.... what else!

I'm going to print the last shot that I took at Hugo's that day later today. I think it has the most potential although all of the 8 sheets I exposed that day are keepers! Thanks again for a great time, Hugo!

Jim

Tri Tran
31-Jul-2010, 10:55
Nice touch Jim, Hugo. Please bring the wagon wheel carbon print next time. Thanks for posting gentlement.
BTW .Nice portrait of Italian Tourist :)

Jim Fitzgerald
31-Jul-2010, 11:54
Tri, thanks. I have a portrait of the Italian tourist but I still need to print it!

Jim

Hugo Zhang
3-Aug-2010, 23:19
Some pictures by Domenico.

Tri Tran
4-Aug-2010, 07:26
Beautiful Domenico and Hugo! I like them all . Frame within frame of Vicky is very well executed.Greats eyes !

pepeguitarra
5-Mar-2018, 20:52
Hugo: Please put me down for that day. I am in Orange County, I love to go and learn, and share. It is one-hour drive only, and the area is nice. I will bring my Super Speed Graphic (I guess we all have to start somewhere!) and my Calumet CC400 if that is acceptable.

----------------------

Time: 10:30AM to 8:00PM

My cell: 909-576-1199

We will have some snacks for lunch for those who come early and a big BBQ dinner to end the party.

---------------------

Pepe

pepeguitarra
5-Mar-2018, 21:03
Pardon the question: Who is Domenico?

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Mar-2018, 08:45
Look at the date of this!

jnantz
6-Mar-2018, 09:43
Pardon the question: Who is Domenico?

hi pepe

it is domenico foschi
( and its 2018 ) ;)

Alan Gales
6-Mar-2018, 10:16
hi pepe

it is domenico foschi
( and its 2018 ) ;)

Perhaps, Pepe is a time traveler? :)

jnantz
6-Mar-2018, 10:49
Perhaps, Pepe is a time traveler? :)

maybe ... ive seen a lot of weird stuff recently .. ;)

pepeguitarra
6-Mar-2018, 13:45
maybe ... ive seen a lot of weird stuff recently .. ;)

Maybe I am still under the sedation of my recent cataract surgery, it is like adding a Fresnel to my eyes (literally). The doctor offer a Fresnel or a Brightscreen. I chose Brighscreen.

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Mar-2018, 17:04
Pepe, if it is any consolation we all had a good time. I've since moved to Vancouver Washington but the rest of the group is still there. They should do it again!!