PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Glass Filter w/ Linhof Compendium Hood

Spencer Ladd
23-May-2010, 02:13
Will Schneider 4x4 glass filters slide into a Linhof TK Compendium hood?

Does anyone have an opinion, based on personal experience, on the quality differences between Wratten vs Glass NDs?

Finally, in rough, remote, wet mountain travel, which will hold up better... glass or gelatin filters?

Bob Salomon
23-May-2010, 02:22
Wratten is a filter designation type used by Kodak. Decamired is the system used by heliopan/B+W/European camera industry.

Both types can be glass or acrylic. The Germans usually insert the International number into the description of their Decamired filters. International numbers are the same as Wrattan numbers but since the word Wrattan is a trademark and its use is subject to a possible licensing fee or written permission the other filter companies simply call them International numbers.

If the B+W filter isn't too fat or too skinny it will fit the Linhof holder. Linhof's filters are made by Heliopan so their's would be more likely to fit.

Spencer Ladd
23-May-2010, 04:42
Thank you Bob. I use Heliopan Center Filters for my Rodenstock lenses.

In my web searches I have not found any Heliopan ND Filters. I will search again.

Spencer Ladd
23-May-2010, 05:03
4x4 Heliopan ND filters?

Peter K
23-May-2010, 05:54
Does anyone have an opinion, based on personal experience, on the quality differences between Wratten vs Glass NDs?
Wratten 96, ND 1.0, is sligthly more transparent beyond 720nm, infrared, compared to Schott NG (Neutral Gray) filter glass the filters from Heliopan and B&W are made of. But this without any influence on photography.

With the filter holder 001933 you can also use M 95 x 1 mm screw-in-filters with your TK compendium. Such ND filters are aviable too from Heliopan (http://www.heliopan.de/produkte/graufilter.shtml) as you can see here (http://www.heliopan.de/Preisliste.pdf) on page 12.

Finally, in rough, remote, wet mountain travel, which will hold up better... glass or gelatin filters?
Both are scatchabele and glass filters are breakable too. Glass filters are heavier and more expensive as gelatine filters.

Peter Gomena
24-May-2010, 11:40
Glass is heavier and more expensive, but at the price of gelatin filters these days, it doesn't take much time to recoup the cost. I gave up on gelatin about 5 years ago. I live in a moisture-rich environment and do a lot of photography at the coast. Gelatin filters are a pain in drizzly conditions, and they just don't last. Once they absorb some moisture, even just from the air, they warp and don't go back to flat. I just sucked it up and went with glass.

Spencer Ladd
24-May-2010, 21:34
Thank you. Great information, Peter and Peter.

Spencer Ladd
27-May-2010, 11:32
4x4 Glass Filter do not slide into the TK compendium hood. All of them are too thick.

Gels will not work in wet environments.

Is there an alternative? Calumet/Lee filters? Are they made of water resistant material? Are they as good as glass?

What about quality? Does infrared really matter? I shot color negs and trans. 100 asa.

Is there a glass filter holder that will fit my Linhof TK?

Bob Salomon
27-May-2010, 11:56
4x4 Glass Filter do not slide into the TK compendium hood. All of them are too thick.

Gels will not work in wet environments.

Is there an alternative? Calumet/Lee filters? Are they made of water resistant material? Are they as good as glass?

What about quality? Does infrared really matter? I shot color negs and trans. 100 asa.

Yes, it is an accessory for the compendium. Actually there are two accessories that slide onto the current compendium's rail (small, square black rail - these will not fit to the much older square silver rail or round rail Linhof compendiums.

The first accessory is the 001933 Filter Holder which accepts 95mm screw-in glass filters and 4x4" gel filters that are in Linhof 002013 Folding Filter Frames (or equivalent). This holder will not accept slide-in type glass or acrylic filters.

The second accessory for the current compendium is the 001932 Vignetting Mask Holder with 4 masks which snaps into the front of the 001931/1927 and 1926 compendiums (note these three compendiums are exactly the same. The rods and adapters vary depending on which Linhof it is used on, a Kardan, a Technika or a TK).

The filter holder slides onto yhe square rail, the Vignetting mask holder snaps onto the front. The filter holder is placed on the compendium between the lens and the compendium. It is adjustable for height.

Peter K
27-May-2010, 12:04
The filter holder is designed to take gel filters mounted in thin foldable frames. Glass in this thickness is much to brittle.

As I've mentioned before with the Linhof adapter 001933 you can use screw-in filters 95 x 1 mm, aviable also as ND filter e. g. by Heliopan (http://www.heliopan.de/produkte/graufilter.shtml). Such filters can be used with color negativ and reversal films too.

Spencer Ladd
27-May-2010, 13:09
Thank you Peter and Bob.

I will look more into the Linhof adapter 001933. I did look at the Linhof site and found the adapter. But, I would prefer to use only the compendium, and would rather not purchase another item for my backpack. I will be traveling in the mountains and want to keep everything as simple as possible.

If there is a gel that is accurate and can withstand some moisture I will use that. Otherwise, I will order the adapter and screw-in filters.

Thank you for your help.

Bob Salomon
27-May-2010, 13:47
Thank you Peter and Bob.

I will look more into the Linhof adapter 001933. I did look at the Linhof site and found the adapter. But, I would prefer to use only the compendium, and would rather not purchase another item for my backpack. I will be traveling in the mountains and want to keep everything as simple as possible.

If there is a gel that is accurate and can withstand some moisture I will use that. Otherwise, I will order the adapter and screw-in filters.

Thank you for your help.

The adapter simply slides on the rod of the compendium so the two travel as one piece, if desired.

Gels are very accurate, as long as they have not faded (many are made with organic dyes/pigments). None are good in moisture and in proper frames or holders they will be flat.

Peter K
27-May-2010, 14:00
If there is a gel that is accurate and can withstand some moisture I will use that.
Only nearly as accurate but withstanding moisture are polyester filters e. g. made by Lee (http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/range/ref:I46C9C1B6AA3DD/).

Spencer Ladd
27-May-2010, 19:27
I am going to experiment with the Lee Polyester Filters at first. If I don't see any problems with color then they seem to be the best solution all around. If they pose a problem for me I will then experiment with the adapter and glass.