PDA

View Full Version : New here, gone film crazy

alex best
20-May-2010, 08:31
Hello,
I am an intermediate photographer from Arizona, started about six years ago using only digital cameras. Until recently that is. From the beginning my quest has been to make images that stand out in a unique way with high quality, sharp focus and subtle out of focus areas. My first cameras were Canon dslr's and I eventually used/bought/tested virtually every camera and lens in their arsenal before becoming dis-satisfied with overall image quality. Nikon units that I tested were no better and after a lot of searching and photo browsing I purchased a Hasselblad H3DII-22 and 500CM. These two camera systems finally gave my pictures a bit more punch and some of the qualities I was looking for, but something was still missing. I added a Leica M6 recently for something more discreet and portable, and while I like the unique quality of the images there was still something missing.
So I guess it's time to start thinking about large format, and my inclination is to go with 8x10. I already have more portable cameras when I need them and have really fallen in love with some of the giant slides, negatives and prints I've seen from this format.
Anyways, I joined this forum recently and have been lurking for a short while reading threads and viewing some of the pictures. I'll probably ask for advice from time to time and comment on various subjects, so wish me luck or try to talk me out of it.
Either way I think I'm hooked and there's no turning back now.

Alex

Ben Syverson
20-May-2010, 08:40
Welcome and good luck! You're quite wise to go straight to 8x10, especially since you already have high quality smaller gear.

memorris
20-May-2010, 08:42
Alex, This sounds similar to my story. Go see Rod at Photomark. He is a large format guy and is very knowledgeable. He also teaches a Large Format Photography class at SCC. I have taken the class several times and most of the people have taken it more than I. It is an excellent way to learn LF and to meet others who are passionate about it. Approval from Rod is required to enroll in the class.

alex best
20-May-2010, 08:45
Alex, This sounds similar to my story. Go see Rod at Photomark. He is a large format guy and is very knowledgeable. He also teaches a Large Format Photography class at SCC. I have taken the class several times and most of the people have taken it more than I. It is an excellent way to learn LF and to meet others who are passionate about it. Approval from Rod is required to enroll in the class.

I have been talking to Rod and will most likely be taking the class soon.

alex best
20-May-2010, 08:48
Welcome and good luck! You're quite wise to go straight to 8x10, especially since you already have high quality smaller gear.

Thanks Ben, some of your pictures have helped convince me to go 8X10.

Andrew O'Neill
20-May-2010, 10:00
Welcome aboard, Alex. I've been working in 8x10 for about 10 years now. It was a pretty easy step from 4x5. Now thinking about going to a larger format, like 12x20...

Ben Syverson
20-May-2010, 10:37
Thanks Ben, some of your pictures have helped convince me to go 8X10.
Cool, thanks!

Kodak, where is my kickback check??

John Kasaian
20-May-2010, 16:37
It's always good to welcome another 8x10er! Now go make pictures! :)

eddie
20-May-2010, 17:43
have fun. post pics....

Vick Vickery
20-May-2010, 18:47
Welcome to group therepy, Alex. Sounds like you'll probably be a regular here.

alex best
20-May-2010, 19:39
Welcome aboard, Alex. I've been working in 8x10 for about 10 years now. It was a pretty easy step from 4x5. Now thinking about going to a larger format, like 12x20...

I think I'll just stick to 8x10 for now.

It's always good to welcome another 8x10er! Now go make pictures! :)

One thing at a time.

have fun. post pics....

Welcome to group therepy, Alex. Sounds like you'll probably be a regular here.

Thanks Vick, can't wait to get a camera and take my first picture!

Cool, thanks!

Kodak, where is my kickback check??

Somehow I think you're out of luck.

Andrew O'Neill
20-May-2010, 20:08
What's a kick back check?? Sounds like what our defencemen used to do to the opposition in hockey. Why don't you guys down there spell it properly. It's cheque for crying out loud! ;)

Gem Singer
20-May-2010, 20:38
Hockey expression, EH?

I've never had a Canadian refuse to accept one of my CHECKS.

(How in the heck do you pronounce CHE QUE?).

Ben Syverson
20-May-2010, 22:08
(How in the heck do you pronounce CHE QUE?).
It's "Chay-KWAH," obviously. It's French!

alex best
21-May-2010, 05:47
lol

Michael Cienfuegos
21-May-2010, 08:58
It's "Chay-KWAH," obviously. It's French!

Not "SHEK?"

Ben Syverson
21-May-2010, 09:58
Not "SHEK?"
You're right -- I was giving the French-Canadian pronunciation, which is quite different.

Andrew O'Neill
21-May-2010, 11:16
I love you guys!

Jim Galli
21-May-2010, 22:32
Welcome aboard. Brute force tonality is where it's at.

Diane Maher
22-May-2010, 06:55
And should you wish to try one of the alternative processes, 8x10 gives a suitable negative size for it. :D (IMO)

alex best
22-May-2010, 21:44
You're right -- I was giving the French-Canadian pronunciation, which is quite different.

Eh?

I love you guys!

Welcome aboard. Brute force tonality is where it's at.

Maybe the resolution sledgehammer?

And should you wish to try one of the alternative processes, 8x10 gives a suitable negative size for it. :D (IMO)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t314/Mr_Spiffy/Misc/TTIWWP.jpg