PDA

View Full Version : Enlarger for 4x5 format....

G.R.Reddy
13-Apr-1999, 03:42
Seeking suggestion on buying entry level 4x5 format enlarger and film developing unit. I am looking at economical solutions, this is just a serious hobby, i don 't think i'll make any money out of this investment. I would really appreciate a ny help in this regard. Thanks.

Blake
13-Apr-1999, 10:44
Black and white ...color...or both. What is your price range?

G.R.Reddy
13-Apr-1999, 12:04
----addition to my original posting----- To start with i am more interested in black and white. But colour upgradability in future is desirable. My budget for enlarger is around 600$. I am hopping to setup workable darkroom with in 1000$. Thanks.

Darron Spohn
13-Apr-1999, 16:19
This shouldn't be too difficult, though you've priced yourself out of new enlarg ers. Look around for a Beseler 45 series, Omega D series or something similar. Don't accept anything in less than excellent condition. Used enlargers have terrible resale value, which is a good thing for those of use who don't wan t to pay new prices.

Enlarger design has also been incredibly stable over the years, so once you purc hase a used Beseler 45 or Omega D you can but new accessories such as cold light heads or dichroic color heads and just drop them in place. Don't forget to budget for a lens. This is actually the most important part. You can s tart with an old single-coated lens then move up to a newer lens as your budget and tastes demand.

Check out Seawood photo at http://www.seawood.com/ and click on the Inventory li nk. They usually have a good selection of lenses in stock, and oftern have excellent 4x5 enlargers.

Be patient and look around. The deals are out there.

Tony Brent
14-Apr-1999, 22:49
Kind of like looking for a 4 x 5 camera in a way. Get a decent box and spend the money on the lens. You can always take it off and put it on the shiny new ZoneVI or whatever. A used Beseler 45 or Omega D2 should not set you back too much. If I can get a top of the line lens I will always go for it, and let the mechanics catch up later.