PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45N-2

shibby4x5
18-May-2010, 16:17
Hey guys, this is my first post here!

I'm currently a college student studying photography in NY. I took my first 4x5 class and absolutely fell in love with the format, the camera, and the whole process. The camera I used was a cambo that the school provided, but now I'm left with nothing to use for the summer since classes are over.

A friend of mine just bought a Chamonix 45N-2 off someone online and showed it to me and now I'm considering buying one. My only problem is that I cant figure out where exactly to order it from..

Just as a secondary question: Does anyone have any other ideas for good 4x5 field cameras?

Thanks a bunch!!

-Shib

Eric James
18-May-2010, 16:34
The next batch will be ready in July. Here's the link to their English website. See the "Contact Us" link for Hugo's email address; he makes it very simply - the hardest part will be the wait.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/

dsim
18-May-2010, 16:37
You can order from Hugo Zhang. His email: hugoz_2000@yahoo.com

shibby4x5
18-May-2010, 17:30
Batch? So is Chamonix like a small private company or something? I've never heard of them until maybe a week or two ago

Water Ouzel
18-May-2010, 18:07
Batch? So is Chamonix like a small private company or something? I've never heard of them until maybe a week or two ago

Get in line.

You're behind me. :D

Daniel_Buck
18-May-2010, 18:39

I don't know the size of the company, but they are relativly new I believe, within the past few years as far as I know. yes, they seem to send them out in batches, I guess that's just the way they have decided to make them.

If you like the design of the Chamonix, but need something quicker, you could probably look at a ShenHao, they have a model that is very similarly designed to the Chamonix & Phillips:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2766

stevebrot
18-May-2010, 19:04
Batch? So is Chamonix like a small private company or something?

That is the claim. I think the officially stated number of workers is eight. The cameras are made in limited production runs which generally sell out. The last run shipped the first week in April and the next is due in July. To order, you contact Hugo Zhang, tell him what you want and arrange payment. He sends you the tracking information when the camera ships and the camera comes directly to you several days later.

Steve

stevebrot
18-May-2010, 19:15
...Just as a secondary question: Does anyone have any other ideas for good 4x5 field cameras?...
Assuming that you don't have a lot of money to spend...

Shen Hao (various models)...LINK (https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=98)
Tachihara (standby classic, very pretty)...LINK (https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=111)
Used versions of various wood or metal cameras. If you don't mind the extra weight and bulk, used Sinar F kits complete with lens go for less than a new Tachihara body.

Steve

shibby4x5
18-May-2010, 22:26
Thank you so much to all of you! You're all being so helpful!

Would you say, between a Shen Hao and a Chamonix, one is better than the other?
(as far as quality or anything along those lines)

williamtheis
19-May-2010, 06:57
not to talk you out of Shen Hao or Chamonix, but this question comes up a lot... there are lots of other choices

take a look at
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/listcameras.html

also at the site
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/roundup4x5.html

David Aimone
19-May-2010, 07:24
Thank you so much to all of you! You're all being so helpful!

Would you say, between a Shen Hao and a Chamonix, one is better than the other?
(as far as quality or anything along those lines)

FWIW, I am no expert, but my local photocenter guru has a collection of thousands of cameras dating from day one through the present and he's used most of them.

http://www.photocentertroy.org/inside-gallery/scenes/scenes-11.html

When he looked over my Chamonix 045n-2, he basically told me that it was one of the finest made 4x5 portable view cameras he's seen at any price. He then rattled off a number of other brands at 2-3 times the price and his opinion was that the Chamonix was better designed and built than any of them.

Again, I'm no expert but I am VERY happy with the camera's quality and functionality.

lilmsmaggie
19-May-2010, 13:32
Also, do yourself a favor and read this review:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=61315&highlight=chamonix+45n-2

It's Excellent!

eddie
19-May-2010, 13:54
chamonix.

hugo is the best. i have bought many cameras from him.

tonkhang
19-May-2010, 15:02
Eddie ...
You're right !
I buy from Hugo 2 cameras :Chamonix 20x24 , Chamonix 11x14 .. and the 3rd Chamonix 5x8 from this forum . Chamonix cameras are well made .

lmlmlm
20-May-2010, 13:15
Hello everybody, on the same subject - which body should i choose between the Chamonix 45N-2 and the Toyo 45CF? They both cost around the same price, so i'm just now trying to figure out which could be my first LF.

Also, could you please suggest any dealers in Europe where to buy these cameras?

Jack Dahlgren
21-May-2010, 08:46
Hello everybody, on the same subject - which body should i choose between the Chamonix 45N-2 and the Toyo 45CF? They both cost around the same price, so i'm just now trying to figure out which could be my first LF.

Also, could you please suggest any dealers in Europe where to buy these cameras?

The two cameras are quite different. The CF is distinguished by its light weight. If that is what you are looking for, then the CF should be your choice. If you want more movements, then the Chamonix might fit the bill.

In any case, I'd pick up a used 4x5 for a first camera. That way if you don't like it you can sell it on for about the same price as you purchased it. It is not uncommon to see LF equipment for sale that was "only used once".

ashlee52
21-May-2010, 20:39
I've owned both the Toyo 45 CF and the Chamonix. The weight difference is very small but the Chamonix has hugely more movements and capability. The 45CF is essenentially a plastic Crown Graphic without the rangefinder and sights.

shadowleaves
22-May-2010, 13:52
The two cameras are quite different. The CF is distinguished by its light weight. If that is what you are looking for, then the CF should be your choice. If you want more movements, then the Chamonix might fit the bill.

In any case, I'd pick up a used 4x5 for a first camera. That way if you don't like it you can sell it on for about the same price as you purchased it. It is not uncommon to see LF equipment for sale that was "only used once".

Chamonix 45N2 weights around 1.5kg and is almost the same, if not lighter, than Toyo 45CF's 1.55kg.

Claudia Meyer
30-Jul-2010, 07:57
Hello dear Chamonix users. I am also a newbee and looking into buying my 1st 5x4. I want to make it a chamonix, but that kind of depends on the difficulties of getting hold of one. I am based in Europe (berlin & bristol) and I was wandering, when you ordered one of Mr Zhang, how much import Vat were you been charged? That would be of great help. I have previously ordered photographic stuff from the states to germany and had a pay a huge amount. thanks for ur help!

Ulrich Drolshagen
30-Jul-2010, 08:20
how much import Vat were you been charged?
For Germany that's easy. You'll have to pay about 5% customs on your payment including shipping. On that you'll have to pay 19% Import VAT. As a rule of thumb: To get it onto your tripod you'll have to pay the same number in Euro as you payed in Dollar for the cam (depends a little on the exchange rate of cause).

Ulrich

JON BUTLER
30-Jul-2010, 09:24
With a some luck you may not pay anything, I know lot of people that have not paid any duty/VAT when importing Chamonix cameras from China.
You may well be lucky.
JON.

lilmsmaggie
30-Jul-2010, 10:35
FYI - The cameras are dropped shipped directly from the factory in China.

Hugo doesn't carry any inventory that I know of. So any duty/VAT is computed from China to its final destination.

stevebrot
30-Jul-2010, 17:33
FYI - The cameras are dropped shipped directly from the factory in China.

Hugo doesn't carry any inventory that I know of. So any duty/VAT is computed from China to its final destination.

I paid no duty on my Chamonix shipped from China via EMS directly to my home. That is probably because there is no duty on LF cameras from China into the U.S. The situation may be different when importing into the EU. A little peek into the EU tariff rate database seems to indicate a tariff of 4.20%. I would be surprised if tariff and VAT are included in the shipping. Hugo is the man to ask.

Steve

Ulrich Drolshagen
31-Jul-2010, 00:56
I paid no duty on my Chamonix shipped from China via EMS directly to my home. That is probably because there is no duty on LF cameras from China into the U.S. The situation may be different when importing into the EU. A little peek into the EU tariff rate database seems to indicate a tariff of 4.20%. I would be surprised if tariff and VAT are included in the shipping. Hugo is the man to ask.

Steve

Duty on Cameras are peanuts. In Germany VAT is 19%, I don't know about UK. In the EU you have to pay Import VAT in the same amount as as normal VAT in the respective country. VAT differs between European countries a bit so if you are located in two countries say UK and Germany it may be considerable to import the camera to the country with the lowest VAT. May be you can get around paying duty for importing a single field camera if you are lucky but you never get around paying VAT.

Ulrich

maurits
31-Jul-2010, 01:27
I paid no duties and no VAT, twice!

Both my 45n-1 and 45n-2 were sent by Chamonix from China to Amsterdam by China Express. Apparently their packages, when arriving in The Netherlands, are processed through a different channel than (for example) USPS packages from the States.

The latter are locally processed by TNT/TPG and, as a rule, they always make you pay VAT and import duties as well as a handling fee. To make things even worse, the packages are usually held in some custom's depot for a few days for no clear reason.

The China Express packages on the other hand arrived here lightning fast. I unexpectedly sold my 45n-1 on Sunday, quickly ordered a new camera from Hugo on Monday and had the 45n-2 in my hands on Friday. No duties, no VAT, no processing fee, almost no waiting...

YMMV in Germany or England. But it might be worthwhile to check which postal service is locally handling China Express packages. Worst case scenario is that you pay about 125 euro's extra because of VAT and duties. But you'd still have a nice camera, fast.

Cheers, Maurits

eddie
31-Jul-2010, 03:31
[QUOTE=maurits;613480]I paid no duties and no VAT, twice!

The China Express packages on the other hand arrived here lightning fast. I unexpectedly sold my 45n-1 on Sunday, quickly ordered a new camera from Hugo on Monday and had the 45n-2 in my hands on Friday. No duties, no VAT, no processing fee, almost no waiting...

Cheers, Maurits[/QUOTE

no duty for me in the states....three times...:)

yeah, i ordered mine with maurits and he had it way before me (grumble grumble)

Brian Ellis
31-Jul-2010, 08:41

I'm not going to read the whole thread to see if someone else has responded so if this is a dupe my apologies. But I've owned a Chamonix and I've used a Toyo 45CF. My keyboard balks at even typing the two brands in the same sentence. But to answer your question - as between those two there is no real choice, get the Chamonix. It's an infinitely better camera in terms of ease of use, quality of construction, extent of movements, and every other camera criteria I can think of.

chemicalbrother
31-Jul-2010, 15:48
Hey guys, this is my first post here!

I'm currently a college student studying photography in NY. I took my first 4x5 class and absolutely fell in love with the format, the camera, and the whole process. The camera I used was a cambo that the school provided, but now I'm left with nothing to use for the summer since classes are over.

A friend of mine just bought a Chamonix 45N-2 off someone online and showed it to me and now I'm considering buying one. My only problem is that I cant figure out where exactly to order it from..

Just as a secondary question: Does anyone have any other ideas for good 4x5 field cameras?

Thanks a bunch!!

-Shib

I purchased from Hugo Zhang
I was never in the dark about my transaction with him and just received my EMS tracking for my Chamonix 45N-2 still patiently waiting for arrival of my teak pretty !