PDA

View Full Version : Linhof rangefinder cam

Clark_L
18-May-2010, 10:00
I may be missing something very basic here...
Linhof Super Technika IV. This camera is on loan to me (semi-permanent?). Has 1 cam for rangefinder function. When I rack the front standard out and drop the bed, the cam (which is on a spring-loaded, hinged device) springs up and gets in the way of camera adjustments, ie. it requires a fair amount of minding when my attention is focused elsewhere. Is there a minimally invasive way to disable this? I pulled the cam out (thinking that might help), but the hinged device (receptor) causes it's own interferences. I'm not using the rangefinder functions, and I don't wish to extensively modify the camera.
Any simple suggestions are greatly appreciated?

Bob Salomon
18-May-2010, 13:47
When you drop the bed remove the cam or you will bend it. Take it out and put it on a flat surface to see if you have already bent it. It should lie perfectly flat from end to end.

Clark_L
18-May-2010, 14:15
Thanks Bob. Sad to say, it is slightly bent (right where it plugs in). I'd just leave the cam out of the camera, but the (springloaded, hinged) thing it plugs into interferes with closure of the camera bed. So, removing the cam, only, doesn't prevent all the interferences. Stumped.

Clark_L
18-May-2010, 14:25
I don't want to get in "over my head" by disconnecting this 'n' that and create a bigger problem than the one I'm trying to solve.

David A. Goldfarb
18-May-2010, 15:57
The cam foot should be angled slightly up when the cam is resting on a flat surface.

The cam shoe should not interfere with closing or focusing the camera when there is no cam installed. If it is something may be wrong. Be sure the front standard is pushed all the way into the camera body before closing the camera. You should see the cam shoe moving so that it points straight forward as you push the standard into the body. There should also be a torsion spring that keeps the shoe pointed down against the camera bed. That spring is prone to breaking over time, particularly if it rusts.

Bob Salomon
18-May-2010, 17:42
Thanks Bob. Sad to say, it is slightly bent (right where it plugs in). I'd just leave the cam out of the camera, but the (springloaded, hinged) thing it plugs into interferes with closure of the camera bed. So, removing the cam, only, doesn't prevent all the interferences. Stumped.

Just push the cam holder down with your finger while moving the track back when closing the camera.