PDA

View Full Version : Hypo Check

Steve Wright
18-May-2010, 06:27
What's the consensus on whether and what Hypo Check chemistry works?
I use the Edwal solution. It seems that the fixer exhausts a lot quicker than what it's supposed to.
Thanks in advance!
steve

Robert Ley
18-May-2010, 07:48
Steve,
If you are using a rapid fix the Edwal hypo check will show a precipitate rather quickly. If you test about 1oz with a few drops and mix it well it will clear up, if not, the fixer is beat.

Wallace_Billingham
18-May-2010, 08:16
I just use small slivers of 35mm film. I put some fixer in a shot glass and drop in a piece of film and see how long it takes to clear then I double that in the fix

Steve Wright
19-May-2010, 06:18
Robert, thanks for the info. TF-5 is supposed to be good for 30-8X10s/liter, but when I test it after 10-12 prints the precipitate is very apparent. I guess the trick is to see if it clears. If not then it's exhausted.
Wallace: the film strip test is a good confirmation. Thanks, I'll keep those tips in mind. I've probably been throwing out good fixer. Grrr....
Steve

Allen in Montreal
19-May-2010, 06:26
I have made charts and count sheets. I cut the factory recommended limit

Doremus Scudder
21-May-2010, 00:39
There is a rather large discussion of this topic along with various other ways to determine the exhaustion of fixer at APUG. Perhaps it would be of interest.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/75894-hypo-check-what-am-i-looking.html

Good luck,

Doremus Scudder

Robert Hughes
25-May-2010, 15:43
I just use small slivers of 35mm film. I put some fixer in a shot glass and drop in a piece of film and see how long it takes to clear then I double that in the fix
+1 That's how it's done, without extra fuss or muss.