PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x9cm B&W Film Availability

Renato Tonelli
17-May-2010, 21:02
Ilford FP4+ (sold in Europe only)
Efke P25 and PL100

I know about those; anyone else currently making B&W emulsions in this size?

Emmanuel BIGLER
18-May-2010, 01:55
hello ! I live in France I am not aware of any other source for B&W film in 6.5x9 cm size.

A few years ago, a French friend of mine asked Bergger in Paris and they answered that they could supply 2x3" (2-1/4" by 3-1/4", the smaller "American" size) or 6.5x9cm (2-1/2" by 3-1/2", the "European" size) easily with a reasonable minimum order ; but Bergger film being supplied by one of the existing European manufacturers (at the time, Forte in Hungary was rumored to be one of the actual suppliers for Bergger film ; too bad that Forte is out of business !), we are back to the starting point !
Taking into account that film labeled 6.5x9 cm is in fact very exactly 2-1/2" by 3-1/2", in principle by cutting a 5x7" film in 4 equal parts in two strokes you get exactly four 6.5x9 films without loosing any surface.
However this does not help much, since 5x7" film is not that easy to find as well.
Cutting 4x5" film in two halves would be an alternative, with some film lost, about 1/2" wide by 4" long, this would be similar to what Tuan Luong does to get 5x7" film from 8x10"...

Renato Tonelli
18-May-2010, 07:05
Cutting 5x7 might be a reasonable alternative for me. B&W in 5x7 is easily obtainable in the USA but I am always worried about dust and scratches.
As an alternative, I have been looking for a Linhof Rollex 2x3 film holder - the type that slides under the ground glass like a cut film holder; I want to do some extreme close-ups and focusing on the ground glass has obvious advantages.

Dan Fromm
18-May-2010, 07:25
Renato, if your camera has a Graflok back any of the rollholders made to fit Graflok/international backs should fit it.

What equipment do you have and what are you trying to accomplish?

Cheers,

Dan

Michael Cienfuegos
18-May-2010, 08:13
For an old ICA Ideal 111 camera I cut my own from whatever stock I have on hand using a guillotine paper cutter. If cutting 4x5 sheets I actually get two 6.3x9's.

Note: When using a guillotine paper cutter in the dark . . . should you feel a burning sensation at the ends of your fingers after making a cut, turning on the lights won't make things better. :eek:

OW!:(

Renato Tonelli
18-May-2010, 09:23
Renato, if your camera has a Graflok back any of the rollholders made to fit Graflok/international backs should fit it.

What equipment do you have and what are you trying to accomplish?

Cheers,

Dan

It's for a Linhof 6x9 Super Technika. I do have a Graflock roll film holder but for viewing the image I cannot easily use the ground glass. A film holder that slips under the ground glass is the one I would prefer when I do extreme close-ups of flowers, etc.

Dan Fromm
18-May-2010, 09:40
Hmm. There's always the humble Adapt-A-Roll 620 ...

ki6mf
18-May-2010, 10:09
You may check on line for what Ilford offers at this URL. Last year I special ordered 6x9 sheet film and other than 30 days to get the order it was filled with not problems. http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20093161552402063.pdf