PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Darlot & Hermagis

tonkhang
17-May-2010, 18:19
If somebody can tell me the size of the biggest Jamin Darlot and Hermagis lens .(Focal lenght and dimensions of these lens ).
Thank you very much.

tonkhang
18-May-2010, 15:23
Here are these monsters : Hermagis and Darlot

Tri Tran
18-May-2010, 15:50
They sure are one of a kind. Great find.Congratulations Khang.

alex from holland
18-May-2010, 23:58
Khang,

what is that big knob on top of the left lens (right hand) . That's the hermagis , right ?

alex

Tri Tran
19-May-2010, 06:46
Khang,

what is that big knob on top of the left lens (right hand) . That's the hermagis , right ?

alex

Alex,
Left from the viewers is a Hermagis . My guess is about 20-22 inches FL. On the right is the bigest Darlot that I have ever seen. Darlot , Charconnet, E Francais, Hermagis is all Petzval ( Called Chromatic Aberrations in optics industry anyway) French made optics and they all have very similar sizes and dimensions except the Hermagis is Much bigger but shorter FL. Khang is an SERIOUS ULF collectors and also my ULF agent :)

Michael Jones
19-May-2010, 08:00
:eek:

bobpin
19-May-2010, 10:58
If somebody can tell me the size of the biggest Jamin Darlot and Hermagis lens .(Focal lenght and dimensions of these lens ).
Thank you very much.

I think my Hermagis is similar to yours: 24" FL, diameter ~6" and diameter of glass element is 5", right?

The biggest is 8" in diameter, our's are the 2nd big.

:D

eddie
19-May-2010, 12:20
a friend of mine has a cone lens that is about that size...maybe bigger. it is a monster...i saw it.

i had a hermagis that was 16 inches tall and weighed 15 pounds. FL 25 inches.

i now have a darlot that is 16 inches tall and weighs 16 pounds. FL 22 inches.

eddie

Emil Schildt
19-May-2010, 12:55
so size really matters afterall...:)

jb7
19-May-2010, 13:00
Fast Petzvals-
circle of illumination is roughly equivalent to focal length- right?
So these 24" ones should be able to make a portrait on 20x24?

CCHarrison
19-May-2010, 14:32
More big boy Petzvals attached

http://www.antiquecameras.net/images/536_dclens33.jpg

http://www.antiquecameras.net/images/399_dclens2099.jpg

Dan

eddie
19-May-2010, 14:48
Fast Petzvals-

covering at portrait distance is one thing. but we always digress back to how the old timers shot. most 16-18 inch lenses were for 8x10. 11-13 for whole plate etc etc.

they used 30+ inch lenses for 18x22 (and would do the same for 20x24)

jb7
19-May-2010, 15:06
Thanks Eddie-
Yes, I suppose I should have said, circle of illumination at portrait distance-
so a slightly longer lens would be better-

Not that I'll ever see one, but if your 24" is 16lbs, something over 30" must be double that...

eddie
19-May-2010, 15:15
it will be heavy for sure. tri tran here on the forum has some even bigger and heavier lenses he shoots with. a giant cooke that weighs like 45+ pounds or something....lots of glass in the triplets.

but as you say, covering is one thing....giving you the perspective you like/want is another.

Tri Tran
19-May-2010, 15:44
so size really matters afterall...:)
Yes, especially for us here in U.S...Size does matters , except the WIFE :)

Fast Petzvals-

Petzval 24 in FL will cover 20x24 with no problem . I prefer the longer FL for portrait if I have the choice. Like Eddie said perspective is another story depending on your style .

Monty McCutchen
19-May-2010, 16:18
Thanks Eddie-
Yes, I suppose I should have said, circle of illumination at portrait distance-
so a slightly longer lens would be better-

Not that I'll ever see one, but if your 24" is 16lbs, something over 30" must be double that...

I've posted this picture in a fun post about searching for this lens for years but I'll repost it here for the search engine and to remind myself that there are others out there who are afflicted. It is a beautiful lens on 20 x 24.

My 37 inch FL Dallmeyer 8D. A Petzval that weighs in at just under 19 lbs.

Monty

jb7
19-May-2010, 16:21
Thanks Tri- and Dan, and Monty-
I'm quite sure you'd have Homeland security out within seconds if you pointed any of those outdoors...

19 lbs? quite manageable so, that's a relief...

Nathan Potter
19-May-2010, 17:00
Here are these monsters : Hermagis and Darlot

You're kidding! These are most likely IEDs' found in Afganistan, and smuggled back to the states by an itinerant serviceman.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

jack_hui
19-May-2010, 18:14
I want to try those monster lens at outdoor!!! XD

Tri Tran
19-May-2010, 19:34
Thanks Tri- and Dan, and Monty-
I'm quite sure you'd have Homeland security out within seconds if you pointed any of those outdoors...
19 lbs? quite manageable so, that's a relief...

You bet and they are for sure have tracking devices in each of them just like my pets :)

I want to try those monster lens at outdoor!!! XD

You have 1 life , live it up! Go with the 20x24 format with a bunch of reducing back of all sizes to handle all those monsters lenses please contact Tracy to build 1 for you for a very Friendly price ( $4500) with 12x12 in lens board ,excluding the reducing back. It will also have front raise and back tilt and you know what...is a Plein air 20x24 for you.That's what you want!

jack_hui
19-May-2010, 20:28
You have 1 life , live it up! Go with the 20x24 format with a bunch of reducing back of all sizes to handle all those monsters lenses please contact Tracy to build 1 for you for a very Friendly price ( $4500) with 12x12 in lens board ,excluding the reducing back. It will also have front raise and back tilt and you know what...is a Plein air 20x24 for you.That's what you want!

Any pictures of this MONSTER Camera? :eek:

Monty McCutchen
19-May-2010, 20:34
Any pictures of this MONSTER Camera? :eek:

Jack,

this ought to get you salivating

http://www.mammothcamera.com/mcccameras.html

Monty

jack_hui
19-May-2010, 20:55
This is .... wonderful .... at least I got a new target ... !! XD

sanking
19-May-2010, 20:58
A seriously good lens for 20X24" if you have the bellows draw is the 42" Red Dot Artar. I bought one of these lenses in barrel and had S. K. Grimes put it in an Ilex #5 shutter. Unfortunately it was just too much lens for the 12X20" Canham that I had hoped to use it with. But I bet Monty would not have any problem with it on his big Ebony.

Sandy

Tri Tran
20-May-2010, 09:50
Sandy.
Artars is very sharp lens which I extensively used for landscape but never try it for portrait yet. The 42 in needs a lot of bellow, however I have an Artar 35 in and will try to shoot some portraits this week .Any suggestions to use this lens for portrait shot? Wide open or 1-2 F stop down ? Thanks

A seriously good lens for 20X24" if you have the bellows draw is the 42" Red Dot Artar. I bought one of these lenses in barrel and had S. K. Grimes put it in an Ilex #5 shutter. Unfortunately it was just too much lens for the 12X20" Canham that I had hoped to use it with. But I bet Monty would not have any problem with it on his big Ebony.

Sandy

eddie
20-May-2010, 16:17
Any suggestions to use this lens for portrait shot? Wide open

wide open with a black nylon over the lens....:)

tonkhang
21-May-2010, 15:09
I bought these 2 lenses but for the Hermagis , I have many waterhouses stop. Can someone explain to me the purpose of all these waterhouses on the top of the lens (picture ).
Thank you.

SAShruby
21-May-2010, 15:11
Check this out Hermagis (http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Hermagis-Eidoscope-No-0-soft-focus-portrait-lens-F5-/190398481758?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2c54a2455e). Unfortunately the seller is making a huge selling pitch, clearly someone from this forum because all info was posted here.

He also sold his entire Rodenstock lens line and lots of Sinaron camera stuff.

Steven Tribe
21-May-2010, 15:54
Tonkhang - these are the so-called Washer stops (because they look exactly like brass washers). They were given up after the introduction of Waterhouse stops after 1858. I have never seen them on a petzval like this - I think they are usually pushed into the barrel opening to rest on a flange. This exact style was used on early landscape meniscus lenses - often called Pill boxes. It could be a special order to reduce F values. I enclose a photo of the same system on a Grubb Aplanatic,

Mark Sawyer
21-May-2010, 16:14
Somehow this thread makes me feel so... unmanly... :(

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Owen21k/IMG_6053.jpg

tonkhang
21-May-2010, 16:18
Tonkhang - these are the so-called Washer stops (because they look exactly like brass washers). They were given up after the introduction of Waterhouse stops after 1858. I have never seen them on a petzval like this - I think they are usually pushed into the barrel opening to rest on a flange. This exact style was used on early landscape meniscus lenses - often called Pill boxes. It could be a special order to reduce F values. I enclose a photo of the same system on a Grubb Aplanatic,

Thank you Steven Tribe .

goamules
21-May-2010, 18:24
Good one Mark. Don't worry, my lenses shrink in this Arizona weather too.

http://www.collodion.com/forum/uploads/688/DAR_GEM.JPG

77seriesiii
22-May-2010, 13:49
Garrett,

Is that 35mm container the same style prop I saw in Hollywood as a kid? You know the 38 special revolver that is the size of a VW Beetle? :-)

Big and small stuff...I just feel inadequate now going to shoot some plates w/ my Darlot lever and dream.

Erick

Tri Tran
22-May-2010, 22:58
Check this out Hermagis (http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Hermagis-Eidoscope-No-0-soft-focus-portrait-lens-F5-/190398481758?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2c54a2455e). Unfortunately the seller is making a huge selling pitch, clearly someone from this forum because all info was posted here.

He also sold his entire Rodenstock lens line and lots of Sinaron camera stuff.

Thanks for posting the link.Definitely is small niche what we are doing here. I'm sure Clive knows what he's selling and guess what ...It will be gone. I would not want to pay this price for the Eido #0 in this condition if I can make one for myself but its sure rare for Shooters/Collectors some points.

Mark Sawyer
23-May-2010, 14:28
Do the Eidoscopes have aspherical surfaces? How would you go about making one for yourself?

I could well be wrong, but to my knowledge, the Pinkham & Smith lenses were the only ones that used aspherical surfaces to acheive a soft focus effect. It's an interesting solution, using an aspherical grind to mimic spherical aberrations. Other lenses achieved spherical aberration through element spacing and other design considerations that are probably lost to time.

Spherical aberration is inherent in all spherically ground lenses, and designers went to as much trouble to get rid of it in sharp lenses as they did to put it into soft lenses. It was only fairly recently that the technology existed to start making aspherical sharp lenses that out-performed spherical sharp lenses.

Tri Tran
23-May-2010, 22:26
Do the Eidoscopes have aspherical surfaces? How would you go about making one for yourself?

Yes ,I can make one for myself but diameter blank size lens has to be under 70mm . Most of the aspherical lenses are 70mm-75mm the biggest for you to grind down. Prism and Cylinder also come to play and called Optics Aberrations, if you know how to use lensometer that's why we have seen the swirly bokeh , soft edge or both of them combined sometimes. Hands surfacing Optics Lab for bigger sizes which I intended to make for myself is no longer offered at any labs here in US which I deal with them everyday. Bottom line if you have a high plus sphere lenses and minor - cylinder then you have your Petzval lens already , the air spacing ads a little more compression on your image. Too bad I can't sell you the lenses because they are consider medical devices nor the labs unless you are O.D or D.D.O licensed.

8x10 user
27-May-2010, 16:39
Does anyone know what glass type was used for the Eidoscope? If so, is that glass type still available?

I would think that it would be difficult to accurately reproduce a lens like this. I'm sure a lot of refining was done before the manufactures settled on an exact design. I find it interesting that the Nicola Perscheid, Gundlach Hyperion, Pinkham Bi-Quality, and Hermagis Eidoscope all come from the same basic design yet have fairly unique personalities. My gut tells me that each designer made a conscious choice about when to start adding aberration and how much to use at various apertures. It seems like there must have been a good number of variables for each design to have its differences. Of course if one produced something that preformed close to any of these fine lenses then they did well.

I do think it would be awesome to find someone who is willing to put time and money into creating/recreating various soft focus or portrait lenses although I don’t know how economically viable the endeavor would be. I have heard that the Pinkham family didn’t do to well with the Bi-Quality from a financial point of few.

Emil Schildt
6-Jun-2010, 14:00
I've posted this picture in a fun post about searching for this lens for years but I'll repost it here for the search engine and to remind myself that there are others out there who are afflicted. It is a beautiful lens on 20 x 24.

My 37 inch FL Dallmeyer 8D. A Petzval that weighs in at just under 19 lbs.

Monty

one more? make stereo images with that one.....:D

https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/dallmeyer-patent-p-4930.html