PDA

View Full Version : Advice / help on a Kodak Ektar f7'7 203mm

boogie
17-May-2010, 16:25
Hi;
I'm really new at LF and after reading many post (my head is now going crazy :eek: ), I decided to post this message so maybe any one here can help me.
I got a Kodak Ektar f7,7 203mm mounted on a flash supermatic shutter. Here are some pictures

Now the problem that I have is that the flash sync is not a PC flash sync (you can see what kind of sync is in the picture) and for what I learn in this forum this shutter is supposed to work with bulb flash and has a delay on speed. My question is that if there is an easy way of using something (an adapter, some kind of invent, anything...) to work with a flash light (x-sync), or I should by other lens :( to use it with flash sync.
And also and this is to satisfy my curiosity. I haven't figure out what is the little metal button used for (you can see it on the picture).

Thanks to all

Dan Fromm
17-May-2010, 16:57
The little button is for "press focus." Cock the shutter and fire it with the button depressed. The blades will open and stay open. Cock the shutter again and fire it again to close.

Your shutter doesn't seem to have a synchronizer cocking lever. Odd. Try hooking the bipost terminals to an electronic flash (use a butchered electric shaver cord or a proper one from Paramount), cock and fire the shutter, and see whether the flash fires which the shutter is fully open.

arkady n.
18-May-2010, 11:08
You can use any one of these cords to connect to your strobe : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=paramount+post+cord&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

I *think* you have to set your flash sync to "F".

Paul Metcalf
18-May-2010, 11:15
The little button is for "press focus." Cock the shutter and fire it with the button depressed. The blades will open and stay open. Cock the shutter again and fire it again to close.Well, I'll be d***ed, I can go home now, I learned something. It works! No more needing to set to "T" for focusing :)

boogie
18-May-2010, 12:40
Great , thanks Dan / Arkady, that is what I was looking for.

Thanks to all

domaz
18-May-2010, 14:26
Well, I'll be d***ed, I can go home now, I learned something. It works! No more needing to set to "T" for focusing :)

+1. I always thought that button didn't work on my shutter or something.

JOSEPH ANDERSON
18-May-2010, 19:42
As Arkady said you must move the flash slide to F. use the bi-post adapter and your set to go. BTW, these are very good lenses. Yours, if I'm reading the sn# right is from
1956. Have fun. Joe A,

Jim Graves
18-May-2010, 22:32
The little button is for "press focus." Cock the shutter and fire it with the button depressed. The blades will open and stay open. Cock the shutter again and fire it again to close.

Well, I'm #3 here who didn't know that ... I've used this lens a lot over the last 4 years and didn't have a clue that button worked that way! How nice is that?!

monkeymon
19-May-2010, 07:59
I think you should put the M / F flash selector between the two ends to get X sync, F and M are both for diffrent types of flash tubes, both delayed. On my flash supermatic shutter, i have an extra lever for the flash delay, if it's no cocked it's X synched even if i had M/F selected... but i can't find the lever on your photos, it should be above the press focus button.

Best to try it out, just shoot flash directly in the lens and look if you can seen it blink @ 1/400

JOSEPH ANDERSON
19-May-2010, 12:57
I have four flash supermatics, and they all x sync when set at F with the lever uncocked.
The flash lever may be broken off. One of mine snapped off at the dial. A small piece
of #10 or 12 wire and some JB weld fixed it over 10 years. However, since I never use it
I don't know how strong it really is.
Joe A

Denis Pleic
20-May-2010, 01:31
Mine fires the electronic flash both on "M" and on "F" - as long as the delay isn't cocked - that's the lever that yours is missing. The attached pic shows the lever near the mark for "T" on the shutter.
As for the cord, the pic also shows a quick'n'dirty DIY job - using a PC power contact/plug (such as power for a CD drive or for a hard disk). Such cords can be had for peanuts in any computer shop. Cut the other end and two outside wires, leaving only the middle ones. Solder a female flash contact on the other end - and presto! - you've got a Supermatic flash cord :)
Of course, an original and a high quality cord can be had from Paramount cords, if I'm not mistaken: you'll need bipost to PC female, like here (http://www.paramountcords.com/categories.asp?cat=29).

Ivan J. Eberle
20-May-2010, 15:12
Shaver recharging cords like those found on Norelco's, Brauns, and Remington Microscreen electric razors fit as connectors, too.