PDA

View Full Version : Tripod/head for Sinar P 8x10?

Blair Ware
17-May-2010, 12:35
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Sinar 8x10 change kit without having the body. I then picked up a 4x5 body and a 5x7 change kit. I now have a great system, but my tripod is overwhelmed (especially when using a 450mm lens and the 8x10 back.

I would like to drag this camera out into the field (any field will do, e.g., my backyard) and need a sturdy but lightish tripod and head. I currently have a Manfrotto 410 geared head that I really like, but fear it will not be up to the task.

Suggestions for a tripod and head combination are most welcome. Thanks.

--Blair--

PS: how about a headless tripod?

Frank Petronio
17-May-2010, 12:49
ABSOLUTELY the Sinar pan-tilt head. Do not even consider anything else, there is nothing better for your Sinar, you have to get it. You'll thank me. You can tip a long heavy 8x10 down without any creep.

Traditionally most photographers use a heavy #5 series Gitzo underneath. I currently use an older metal 500 with the leveling base and love it. You can get a newer CF version which may be more damp but sometimes the mass of a metal tripod is good for an awkwardly balanced 8x10.

To be truly Swiss-perfect you should get a Foba tripod ;-) but they are rare in North America.

philipmorg
17-May-2010, 13:11
I'd second the Sinar Pan-Tilt tripod head recommendation. It has the best strength to weight ratio of any tripod head I've ever seen, its low profile is helpful with monorail cameras, and it can be easily refurbished by the spirited amateur if it becomes worn.

Clive Gray
17-May-2010, 13:15
Yet another recommendation for the Sinar Pan Tilt, it's designed so the rail clamp locks on to it solidly which it doesn't really do with most tripod heads.

They are heavy and not a lot of people either seem to have heard of them or like them but the Slik professional (http://www.sliktripod.co.uk/pages/promodels.html) range are good for 10X8 and in the UK at least so dealers have been selling them off at clearance prices.

erie patsellis
17-May-2010, 14:44
/\ What they said, I have a pile (literally) of heads and have been hunting a sinar down for a while.

Blair Ware
17-May-2010, 14:55
That's not good; now there are two of us in the hunt. :)

Any suggestions on where to find a Sinar head?

--Blair--

Jeffrey Sipress
17-May-2010, 14:59
There certainly are other options, folks! Apparently, Blaire doesn't want a ballhead. The Manfrotto 410 is way stronger than it looks, and has quick release rapid motion on each axis.

Blair Ware
17-May-2010, 15:00
Clive, B&H has the Sliks with head at $600 US. Is that close to the UK sell-off price?

--Blair--

Blair Ware
17-May-2010, 15:05
Jeffery, the 410 is rated for 11 lb, and I am pretty sure the 8x10 Sinar will be more than that.

Has anyone experienced a tilted 8x10 on a 410 and lived tell the tale? I ask because one of the B&H reviewers talked about slippage on a 410 (something I have never had happen).

--Blair--

BennehBoy
17-May-2010, 15:07
I tried my P2 8x10 with a 410 and it's like a pendulum - avoid.

I've never regretted picking up a Sinar Pan/Tilt head.

Bob McCarthy
17-May-2010, 15:31
I use a Carbon Gitzo, the model I think is a systematic model 1325.

No attached head at all, but instead I use a Gitzo leveling head built into the plate.

limited range of movement but enough considering how much that camera can add to the equation. Low CG on head allows for no play and solid base at a very light weight for a 8x10 capable tripod setup.

here a quick picture of the setup. Ignore the fact that the sinar is nude at the moment.

bob

Shutter
17-May-2010, 15:44
If you want a 3D-head take a look at the Manfrotto 229, it's really great and I use it myself with the P1 8x10 :) (and it's really affordable!)

rdenney
17-May-2010, 15:49
The Sinar Pan-Tilt heads are not that cheap and not overflowingly available. But post a WTB and have patience. It will be worth it. I expressed the desire to own one and a forum member offered one to me for sale, and it's one of the best things I've bought for my Sinar. And I have directly compared it with the Manfrotto 410, a Bogen 2029 (Manfrotto 229), and an Arca-Swiss Monoball (the old big one). The Sinar is the clear winner of all these for ease of use and rigidity. Note that it has the advantage of only tilting in one axis (pitch), plus panning. The monorail rotates in the tripod mount for the other direction. It also does not force you to use a quick-release plate, as does the Manfrotto and Arca Swiss heads. I leave the tripod mount on the tilt head, and just pull the camera rail out of the tripod mount when breaking down. The tilt head works best for this camera.

As for tripods, I think the large Manfrotto tripods would do the job--I have several sets of the 3036 legs and they are pretty good and not expensive. They aren't that light, but they aren't that heavy, either.

But I think for 8x10 I would invest in a large Berlebach ($$) or Ries ($$$$) wooden tripod. The big wood tripods probably have the best stability/weight ratio, even compared to the carbon composite tripods.

Rick "who has more invested in tripods than in some camera systems" Denney

Peter De Smidt
17-May-2010, 15:51
Most of the time there are numerous great choices for equipment, but in this case their really isn't. Frank is right: the Sinar pan/tilt head is by far the best head for a round railed Sinar camera. It's light, compact, extremely strong, an ergonomic joy, the camera will not spin on the head, and it's not that expensive used.

I have a 410. It's nice, but it would be a terrible head for a LF sinar. It's not robust enough. I've used there larger geared head as well. It also wouldn't be a good choice.

Frank Petronio
17-May-2010, 15:56
$175 to $225 for a decent Sinar Pan Tilt - try German eBay.de

cin
20-May-2010, 01:28
Hello,

I have a Sinar Pan-Tilt head for sale :D

Funny, I was searching the web for images of it so I could post an ad on Craigslist, I didn't find images but I found your post.

I'm in Vancouver too so it should be pretty easy to ship.

Drop me a line.

cin
20-May-2010, 01:49
This is the head I have for sale, but mine is in much better shape. It has the logo but no sticker on the barrel. Both small setting screws are missing.

http://members.cox.net/bgwcameras/sinar.jpg

Blair Ware
20-May-2010, 09:08
PM sent. Thanks.

Vincent Malaud
20-May-2010, 09:41
I use a Carbon Gitzo, the model I think is a systematic model 1325.

No attached head at all, but instead I use a Gitzo leveling head built into the plate.

limited range of movement but enough considering how much that camera can add to the equation. Low CG on head allows for no play and solid base at a very light weight for a 8x10 capable tripod setup.

here a quick picture of the setup. Ignore the fact that the sinar is nude at the moment.

bob

That's exaclty the system I am building!!! Could you tell me wht kind of plate do you have mounted on your leveling base? IS it an Arca rail clamp?

THanks,

philipmorg
20-May-2010, 10:49
The small screws that keep the rail clamp from rotating on the tripod head are standard metric size. My Sinar Pan-Tilt head was missing those as well, and found suitable replacements at the local hardware store. Short metric threaded studs with a hex key drive worked perfectly for me.

Bob McCarthy
20-May-2010, 14:43
That's exaclty the system I am building!!! Could you tell me wht kind of plate do you have mounted on your leveling base? IS it an Arca rail clamp?

THanks,

RRS clamp and corresponding plate

bob

Blair Ware
20-May-2010, 14:53
Phillip, thanks. It looks like I will be taking a trip to the local Home Depot.

BTW, do people use these screws, especially when using the head with different cameras?

--Blair--

el french
20-May-2010, 16:30
Has anyone tried one of these: http://www.indurogear.com/products_catalog_PHQ-Series-PanHeads.html

Blair Ware
4-Jun-2010, 06:57
Thank you cin (AKA Nic) for coming up with a gorgeous Sinar pan-tilt head, which I promptly purchased.

I can see why everyone raves about this head. If it weren't so functionally good, I would suggest the MOMA put it in their collection.

Frank et al, thank you for the suggestion.

--Blair--