PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI strange light leak?

Martin Shakeshaft
17-May-2010, 11:21
I recently bought a Zone VI 5x4 and have been testing it with a Polaroid back. It appears I have a light leak. I have noticed a couple of pin pricks in the bellows but the scans of two images suggest something else. The light leaks are in the same place despite using two different lenses 150mm/300mm so the bellows were in two different places? I can rule out the lens boards, any ideas?
http://martinshakeshaft.com/stuff/tripod/lightleak1.jpg

Martin

Gem Singer
17-May-2010, 11:38
The picture on the right shows four small round yellow spots.

They seem to be in a straight line from top to bottom.

Are you sure they are light leaks?

Mike Anderson
17-May-2010, 11:45
Defect in the roller? They're spaced very evenly apart. Is that distance the circumference of the roller?

...Mike

Louie Powell
17-May-2010, 12:51
How are you processing your film?

Can you expose some different film (perhaps black and white) and process it yourself? I

Martin Shakeshaft
17-May-2010, 14:54
Mike

I think you have a good point there! Louie that's the answer I think, I will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Martin

RichardRitter
17-May-2010, 14:59
bad film or processing

Drew Bedo
17-May-2010, 15:59
Whenever I get a new (ok, another ) used camera, I test it by mounting a film holder on the back, and a 25 watt light bulb standard into the front. Cardboard and black gaffer's tape seal the front. An examination of this rig in total darkness reveals light leaks. Works for me.

Daniel Unkefer
17-May-2010, 18:23
Take the roller out of your Polaroid back and scrub it with a toothbrush and hot water.

JohnN
18-May-2010, 12:29
Rollers are definitely dirty.

I've had this happen to me.

Martin Shakeshaft
22-May-2010, 06:05
Cleaned the rollers and everything is fine. Thank you to everyone that helped.

Another lesson learnt!

Martin

rguinter
22-May-2010, 06:28
Whenever I get a new (ok, another ) used camera, I test it by mounting a film holder on the back, and a 25 watt light bulb standard into the front. Cardboard and black gaffer's tape seal the front. An examination of this rig in total darkness reveals light leaks. Works for me.

Drew: That is a great idea! If I ever suspect bellows problems, I'll try your technique. Beats trying to get your head inside the bellows. BG