PDA

View Full Version : Lowepro Pro Trekker 600AW

newmoon2night
16-May-2010, 02:48
Is anyone using one of these, and if so are they good?
The larger Lowepro Trekker series are usually quite heavy (empty), but this one seems to be nearer a reasonable weight at 8.4lbs.
I'm just wondering whether the lighter weight means it's been compromised in strength or functionality.
Here's a link to the backpack I'm asking about http://products.lowepro.com/product/Pro-Trekker-600-AW,2167,16.htm
Thanks for any advice on this product.

Joe Forks
16-May-2010, 09:09
IMO 8.4 pounds is not light at all. I should note that I use two different Lowepro backpacks and I love them both, but "light" is not a word I would use to describe them.

The Photo trekker AWII I use is about the same weight, and it has a bunch of padding and is very strong. Much more padding and stronger than the F64 backpack I use for my Zone VI 8x10.

If you can live with that much weight, then you will be pleased.

mcfactor
16-May-2010, 10:37
I use it, and I really like it. It carried my 8x10 deardorff, 2 lenses, 4 holders, most of my film, and a tripod through Guatemala. It was (relatively) comfortable, fit in carry-on, and handled the weight well.

Michael Gordon
16-May-2010, 11:06
As long as you shoot 4x5" or smaller, you ought to have a look at Gura Gear's Kiboko pack. I reviewed this pack on my blog (http://michaelegordon.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/gear-review-gura-gear-kiboko-backpack/). A genuinely lightweight pack compared to most other mfgrs inflated claims of "lightweight"...

newmoon2night
16-May-2010, 11:47
I know it isn't exactly lightweight, but it is a little lighter than most other Lowepro offerings.
I currently use an Osprey Atmos 35 with some custom padded bags I've had made. It works well and is very comfortable, but 35 litres is really pushing it as far as accommodating what I would like to fit in.
Having said that it weighs in at about 22lbs excluding the tripod.
I've recently bought an F-Stop Tilopa, which is lightweight and bigger capacity than the Atmos, beautifully made, but the internal padded compartment is not very big at all, and barely fits my camera body width wise (A Walker Titan 4x5). I also think the body fit of the Tilopa is probably slightly short for a really comfortable fit on me, though I haven't tested this out in the field yet.
So I'm playing with five options:
1.Try and find a Lowepro insert to go in the Tilopa.
2. Buy a foam camping sleep pad and hot glue gun, and make my own bespoke padding for the Tilopa.
3.Sell the Tilopa whilst still new, and get something like the Pro Trekker 600AW (which has adjustable back length).
4.Use my Atmos bespoke bags in the Tilopa.
5.Carry less gear, continue using the Atmos, and get on with taking photographs!
An added complication is that I'm in the UK, so any of the non main stream makes have to be bought in the US and imported.
Finally I would add that I've tried a Photobackpacker Kelty Redwing in the past, and was one of the rare people who didn't find it comfortable.
It's a big shame that the larger capacity Osprey Atmos doesn't have a panel opening!

mcfactor
16-May-2010, 14:23
My entire kit weighed about 45 lbs. Not light, but not the worst for a full 8x10 kit. I dont really see how it could be much lighter and still hold all the gear. Once you get it fully adjusted for your body, it really is comfortable.

Jlentz
21-May-2010, 10:53
That is more expensive, and looks smaller than my Photobackpacker Kelty P2 pack. :confused:

DavidFisk
22-May-2010, 15:32
Is anyone using one of these, and if so are they good?
The larger Lowepro Trekker series are usually quite heavy (empty), but this one seems to be nearer a reasonable weight at 8.4lbs.
I'm just wondering whether the lighter weight means it's been compromised in strength or functionality.
Here's a link to the backpack I'm asking about http://products.lowepro.com/product/Pro-Trekker-600-AW,2167,16.htm
Thanks for any advice on this product.

I use both this and the Mini Trekker for 4x5. The Pro holds everything with room to spare (6 lenses) and the Mini is what I carry on planes, but I'm limited to 4 lenses. Not sure I would get the Pro if I were doing it again, as it's a bit of overkill.