PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Film

anthony marsh
14-May-2010, 21:31
I have Kodak 320 TXP that has been frozen since bought in 2008.Can I take a few sheets out and refreeze it? Also is it still usable?

sun of sand
14-May-2010, 22:17
yes and no
yes you can ..be sure to wrap it up so the humidity doesn't freeze it onto an amulsicle
no you cant you have to sell it for pennies on the dollar
PM sent

Doremus Scudder
15-May-2010, 01:13
The film should be fine to use.

Most of us refrigerate after opening (i.e., don't re-freeze after the film packet has been opened) since there is a chance of introduced humidity causing ice crystals and damaging the film.

FWIW, I'm working with some TMY that has a 2001 expiration date; it's doing just fine. It was only refrigerated.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder
15-May-2010, 01:28
The film should be fine to use.

Most of us refrigerate after opening (i.e., don't re-freeze after the film packet has been opened) since there is a chance of introduced humidity causing ice crystals and damaging the film.

FWIW, I'm working with some TMY that has a 2001 expiration date; it's doing just fine. It was only refrigerated.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Paul Metcalf
15-May-2010, 05:56
When was the 2nd View Camera Conference? Kodak handed out some free film, and I have a box of TXP that I just opened a couple of weeks ago to try hand-holding 4x5 with my Linhof. Film was never frozen or refridge'd, just kept in somewhat cool conditions (below 70-deg). Recent shots at ASA320 looked fine, but preferred the negative density at ASA160, which is typical of my pyro development process (other films I rate at 1/2 the rated ASA). I'd say your film is good to go.

sun of sand
15-May-2010, 12:41
i knew something didn't look right last night

amulsicle
dang wtf

emulsicle

I refreeze all the time
tape up the box and put it in a ziplock ..with some silica or in my case everlasting crackers

Ben Syverson
15-May-2010, 13:40
I was taught to keep film in the fridge instead of the freezer, because of the freeze-thaw cycle of modern auto defrosting freezers... As I heard it, the biggest damage to film emulsions comes from temperature changes.

Was that a load of BS, or has anyone else heard the same?

BradS
15-May-2010, 15:53
There is absolutely no need to freeze film. The fridge is plenty good enough. And, yes, the freeze-thaw-freeze thaw cycling of modern frost free freezers is not so good for film. Neither is freezer burn.

Tri-X is in fact so robust that it would be absolutely fine even left out in the reasonably comfortable ambient temps of most homes.

(I'm gonna go put on my asbestos lined teflon over coat now as I am sure the flames and shit throwing will begin shortly).

Do you also freeze all of your processes negs too????

Sal Santamaura
15-May-2010, 18:40
...Do you also freeze all of your processed negs too????No, not all. Just the Vericolor II negatives from my 1975 wedding. I conditioned them to 25% RH for several days, then placed them in vapor-seal envelopes which were closed with a clothes iron. The envelopes have been in a box in our freezer ever since.

One of these days, when the C-prints in our album complete their journey to oblivion, I'll use those negatives to make new Fuji CA prints, either directly or via scanning.

Kevin M Bourque
15-May-2010, 19:47
Film doesn't "freeze", at least not at 0C. I don't know where it undergoes a phase change, but its way lower than 0C. Plenty of film gets shot at much lower temperatures than this.

Ben Syverson
15-May-2010, 20:23
The issue isn't whether or not the freezing itself is bad, but whether the constant temperature shifts are detrimental.

CG
15-May-2010, 22:21
Funny, my frozen film's always been fine.