PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic viewfinder question..

Robbie Bedell
14-May-2010, 19:47
OK, My last handheld 4x5 is a very old speed graphic with the old glass sight viewfinder (see fuzzy photo... sorry, large crop). Now, when I hold the camera about a foot from my eye, the image in the glass is in focus. If I hold the camera right up against my face, and I sight through the finder, the image is very 'out of focus'. My question is, were these finders designed to be held at a distace from the eye. or could this finder be 'corrected' for a long-gone photographer's eyesight? Against my face, the old rapid rectilinear is just what's one the ground glass, but held away, it's cropped a bit. I would love to have your opinions on this. Thank You!..Robbie

al olson
14-May-2010, 19:57
It looks to me that you only have part of a view finder. The Graphic viewfinders that I have are constructed with a square tapering tube that goes back to an eyepiece. It appears that someone has removed all of the viewfinder except for the objective lens.

Bill_1856
14-May-2010, 20:09
That kind of viewfinder is designed to be held at a distance (like "chimping" in the 1920s). It was used on many cameras, including the "O" Leica, and several Zeiss Ikon cameras, but I've never seen it on a Speed Graphic. Could be original equipment, or someone added it to suit their needs.
Anyhow, you're right about the way it works.

Robbie Bedell
15-May-2010, 06:37
Bill, Thank you. By the way this finder folds down out of the way when not in use. I played with a very old Leica once and remember holding it away from my face, and I thought that this was the same, but I wasn't sure. My Graphic is from 1910 and has seen lots of add-ons, but I think this finder is to date. But holding it out it makes it difficult to hold the camera steady at anything slower than 100th of a second, and even that's a challenge! I don't know how the old news guys did it. There was never any kind of flash on this one, especially in 1910.

Paul Ewins
15-May-2010, 18:34
My oldest SG has the same sort of finder, so I'd say that is definitely OE. As for how they were designed to be used, I have no idea.

ic-racer
15-May-2010, 19:24
But holding it out it makes it difficult to hold the camera steady at anything slower than 100th of a second, and even that's a challenge! I don't know how the old news guys did it.
I don't know how the digital P&S people do it....its like an epidemic :)
http://prisonphotography.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/09.jpg

eli
16-May-2010, 19:18
I have this same finder on my SG, which also came with a larger wire framing finder. I've seen both on older models, pre-anniversary I believe.

Eli