PDA

View Full Version : Getting to 1/400 on old Linhof Compur Rimset Shutters?

Frank Petronio
14-May-2010, 13:59
I have one of those older Linhof-branded Compur shutters with the sloping top cone and the little half-moon (fingernail?) cut-away to display the selected shutter speeds. It goes 1 second to 1/200th but then I can't move it over to the 1/400th speed I see just slightly beyond reach. I see a little sliding button that I think is a release catch for allowing me to twist the speed dial over to 1/400th but when I cock the shutter it fires....

So what is the deal? I never heard of this and am afraid to force it.

Peter K
14-May-2010, 14:43
Frank, the shutter was opened and closed without the alignment of the spring for the 1/400th. Here (http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/compur-repair/04-42.html) you can see this spring on the right small picture at the bottom of the page, left from the lever with the green dot.

Turn the rim on "T". Open the shutter by turning the small disk with a tweezer so you can turn the black cover 30° to the left. Press down the rim with one hand and remove the black cover with the other hand. Don't remove the rim from the shutter! Turn the free end of the spring to the left. Close the shutter with the black cover and turn the cover 30° to the right. Turn the little disk up to the cover is locked. Now you should be abled to use the 1/400th.

BTW, the little sliding button is for the self-timer.

Peter

David McNiven
15-May-2010, 11:48
There's a Synchro-Compur with an extra, very strong, "helper" spring for the fastest speed - I only have one of these old Linhofs and it's a 180/5.5 Tele-Xenar in a number "0" which I haven't used in years.
Very difficult to set 1/500 once it's cocked, somewhat easier before. Still needs a good push though.
The extra force needed to cock it at 1/500 is considerable. Feels like it might break.
Sliding the button rearwards holds the shutter open at any set speed when you cock and release.
To close the shutter you cock it again, it fires, you cock it again & you're ready to shoot. PITA.

Peter K
15-May-2010, 12:33
There's a Synchro-Compur with an extra, very strong, "helper" spring for the fastest speed - I only have one of these old Linhofs and it's a 180/5.5 Tele-Xenar in a number "0" which I haven't used in years.
The Linhof-branded shutters are the same as other Synchro-Compur x-MX, size #00 up to #3, shutters except the flat cover and the aperture scale is exchanged with the sloping top cone.

David McNiven
15-May-2010, 13:44
Hi Peter, I'm not quite sure what your point is in your last post.
Frank's original post led me to believe that he may have acquired the shutter only recently: "I see a little sliding button that I think is a release catch for allowing me to twist the speed dial over to 1/400th."
I though it worth explaining to a (presumed) new user this unusual aspect of the shutter on the basis that people are reluctant to apply more force than they have become used to with other shutters - and that Frank's shutter may, therefore, not be faulty.
My particular MX doesn't have the S/T release lever shown in your picture - or the S/T escapement. The mechanism has not been removed and the case has not been machined for a S/T assembly or lever. There is no "T" setting.
It does however have the "little sliding button" - also shown in your picture.
I think this is what Frank is referring to but I'm often wrong.

Peter K
15-May-2010, 16:31
Hi David, your shutter is a size #0, fastest speed 1/500. But Frank's a size #1, fastest speed 1/400. The #0 has no "T" setting and no self-timer The size one's "little sliding button" has a different function, if pressed back the tension ring can be turned further and so the selftimer is cocked.

There is another difference between #0 and #1, one needs more force to wind up the "helper" spring of the #0 shutter.

Peter

David McNiven
15-May-2010, 18:58
Hi Peter, thanks for taking the trouble to clarify that - not sure if I ever knew of those differences between 0 & 1 (except for 1/400 of course) or if I've just forgotten... there weren't too many of them around even 10 years ago when I was active. Mostly Copals in these parts at that time.
I still wonder about one thing though. Why on Earth did someone think it would be a good idea to use an identical control - "little sliding button" - for two completely different functions on the 0 & 1?
But then I do seem to be more easily confused than I used to be...

Peter K
16-May-2010, 02:03
Hi Peter, thanks for taking the trouble to clarify that - not sure if I ever knew of those differences between 0 & 1 (except for 1/400 of course) or if I've just forgotten...
Of course the size of the maximum aperture: #0 24mm and #1 30mm. ;)

I still wonder about one thing though. Why on Earth did someone think it would be a good idea to use an identical control - "little sliding button" - for two completely different functions on the 0 & 1?
Perhaps to rationalize the production?

Lynn Jones
17-May-2010, 11:42
The only BTL shutters I have ever seen that were within ASA/ANSI tollerence at 500 were the Seikosha Rapid, the rest vary wildly.

Lynn