PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Process 2x3 Sheet Film

Graflex Shooter
13-May-2010, 13:51
I have an HP Combi Tank and a 120 Yankee tank.
Is there anyway to process 2x3 sheet film in these, or, any other tank that will do the job? Anyone out there do this size?

When I worked in film the last time several years ago I had access to an automatic Speedtron processor and never used the manual way.

Thanks
:)

Gem Singer
13-May-2010, 14:06
These tanks take film up to a maximum size of 4x5.

They can also take smaller size sheet film.

The plastic cut film hangers in both the HP Combi Plan and the Yankee tank can easily be adjusted to fit 2x3 film. Similar to the adjustable reels in the Paterson roll film tanks.

Renato Tonelli
13-May-2010, 14:36
I wish the Jobo sheet film reel adjusted to this film size. I am planning to shoot a good deal of this format this Summer.

Chuck Pere
13-May-2010, 16:03
I use the old Nikor cut film tank. You can adjust the reel size. Also nice for 9x12cm. The Yankee cut film tank will work but many people have problems agitating these. Jobo used to sell a reel specially made for this size. I think they just glued a normal adjustable reel at the right position. I wonder if they ever sold any of those reels? The Nikor tank is getting very expensive nowadays so maybe trying to glue a Jobo reel to the right position would be cheaper. Even with buying the Jobo tanks.

Bob Salomon
13-May-2010, 20:21
These tanks take film up to a maximum size of 4x5.

They can also take smaller size sheet film.

The plastic cut film hangers in both the HP Combi Plan and the Yankee tank can easily be adjusted to fit 2x3 film. Similar to the adjustable reels in the Paterson roll film tanks.

To process 2x3 in the CombiPlan you need the long, long discontinued adapter plate. Plus you will have to use the discontinued blue washers to increase the width of the carrier. Then you could process up to 12 sheets of 23 film at a time.

Renato Tonelli
13-May-2010, 21:23
I use the old Nikor cut film tank. You can adjust the reel size. Also nice for 9x12cm. The Yankee cut film tank will work but many people have problems agitating these. Jobo used to sell a reel specially made for this size. I think they just glued a normal adjustable reel at the right position. I wonder if they ever sold any of those reels? The Nikor tank is getting very expensive nowadays so maybe trying to glue a Jobo reel to the right position would be cheaper. Even with buying the Jobo tanks.

I have a mangled 4x5 Jobo reel somewhere; I think I will search for it, take it apart and see if anything useful comes of it.

Daniel Stone
13-May-2010, 22:05
jobo used to have a reel, the 2518 I think it was.

long gone(like 2005), but if you save a search on ebay, or put up a WTB add, I'll guess you'll have some people eventually.

-Dan

Emmanuel BIGLER
14-May-2010, 00:34
Hello from France

As mentioned by Bob S. I do not think that the Combi Plan rack can accommodate 2-1/4" by 3-1/4" cut film. This is the "American" size. To the best of my knowledge and as confirmed by Bob, the Combi Plan takes the "European" size, 6.5x9 cm, actually this is exactly 2-1/2" by 3-1/2".
WIth the Combi Plan you can somewhat cheat with film width by adding some whashers ; I use such a trick to clarify 3x4" polaroid negs (665) in a Combi Plan. However this does not work to make the rack spacing smaller...

As an emergency procedure, I can recommend this : before I bought a Combi Plan tank I have sucessfully processed 2-1/2 by 3-1/2 cut films in a standard Paterson tank designed for 120 rollfilms. I can process 2 cut films at a time ; I simply take the 120 reel off but keep the central column in order to maintain the tank light-tight.
I simply put two 2x3 films back-to-back on each side of the column, film support against the column, emulsion facing outwards. The two films are slightly bent but not that much. This of course requires a lot of developer per film, but it works.
My brother-in-law to whom I explained the trick does the same with a bigger Paterson tank, the one designed for 2 or 3 120-size reels, he can process 9x12 cm or 4x5" film similarly (he mostly processes 135 and 120 rolls in his tank).
A refinement of the procedure would consist in fabricating a kind of lid or blocking device preventing the 2 films to fall out of the bath when you flip the tank upside-down.
In the Combi Plan tank, if you do not use the special retaining clamp, this problem may occur as well.
And regarding the volume of baths required to process your film, if you only load four 2x3 films in your Combi Plan, you need in fact the same quantity per film as in the Paterson tank loaded with two films : one litre for 4 films in the Combi plan versus half a litre for 2 films in the Paterson... (or Jobo, or any daylight tank designed for 120 rollfilms featuring a central column)

Gem Singer
14-May-2010, 03:47
I stand corrected.

The film rack in the Combi Plan tank will not adjust smaller than 6x9.

However, the rack in the Yankee tank is capable of adjusting down to take 2x3 sheet film (6x7).

It's easy to develop 2x3 sheet film in trays, if you can set up a space to use as a darkroom.

jnantz
14-May-2010, 05:24
if you can find FR tanks, they adjust down to the size you need.
equinoxphotographic has an "instruction manual" if you need one ...

some folks have great luck with FRs, some not so great luck ...

Robert Hughes
14-May-2010, 09:47
...some folks have great luck with FRs, some not so great luck ...
I have an FR tank - I use it nowadays for water wash of fixed 4x5 negs. But if I were going to use it for developing I'd be sure to fill it up to the brim.

Bill_1856
14-May-2010, 10:20
The best way to process ANY sheet film is dip&dunk or (my preference) in small trays.

jnantz
14-May-2010, 11:38
I have an FR tank - I use it nowadays for water wash of fixed 4x5 negs. But if I were going to use it for developing I'd be sure to fill it up to the brim.

they take about a gallon of fluid each right ;)

banjo
20-Nov-2010, 15:13
Hi All
I have not been here much the last 5 years ! taking care of my Dad he is now in a
Care Home! So now I have time for me!! I just seen this on Best Way To Process
2x3 Sheet Film! The Jobo 2518 is it BUT here in the US you never see them!
so I make my own out of a 2509 by cutting it down & Gluing it BUT it now Only a 23
SO now I am starting back up my summer school for 23 {2 1/4 x3 1/4} & 4x5 too
""The Colorado School For Traditional Sheet Film Photography""
I am working on a web site coming soon! I am still trying to get a building TOO
I have 10 ways of Processing 23 film for people to try !

banjo at kansasbanjo@yahoo.com