PDA

View Full Version : SO Utah

madmax12
12-May-2010, 06:24
headed to southern utah for 8 days looking for some spots less frequented. I have some wall writings to visit some thing close to st george . appreciate all input :)

anchored
12-May-2010, 06:59
Near St. George and spots less frequented:

Kolob Canyon area of Zion NP. Most tourists stay in the main part of Zion... very few visit this northern area which is not part of the "standard" tour.

Snow Canyon (as I recall a state park).

Many places to be found by staying out of National Parks and driving side and rural roads.

Rick A
12-May-2010, 07:45
A word of warning about the small towns in that area, they are mostly poligamist communities, and outsiders are not welcome. Stay to the larger towns on main roads.
Of course, this was personal experience from 20 years ago when I lived in northern Utah, but I dont think it has changed much, if at all. A trip to the North Rim of GC is spectacular and less frequented than South Rim(main park). A side trip to Jerome Az. used to be great for photo ops, the view from there is awesome.

AFSmithphoto
12-May-2010, 07:49
Bryce is not less traveled but MUST be seen if you haven't. Escalante national staircase is amazing if you want to see some truly remote wilds, have an off-road vehicle, and AREN'T alone. Otherwise, Kodachrome Basin park is a nice, failry scenic hideaway, Calf Creek falls is nice if you're willing to do the hike (No good for a monorail camera, not bad for a field camera) and the stretch of route 12 in between the two is maybe the best drive I've ever done.

Drew Wiley
12-May-2010, 10:23
I really like the circuit from Bryce on Hwy 12 down to Escalante, then over Torrey Pass
to Capitol Reef (if the pass is open). An incredible range of scenery, plus wonderful
side options in Calf Creek and the Grand Staircase. But if you come back on the main
hwy avoid Panguitch like the plague. You'll be guaranteed a ticket, and Sheriff Zohad
and Deputy Zebud might be around the corner to hassle you too. They don't like
photographers (they think we're all potentially undercover FBI agents). On the other hand, Cedar City tends to be a lot friendlier.

Jim Becia
12-May-2010, 11:35
I really like the circuit from Bryce on Hwy 12 down to Escalante, then over Torrey Pass
to Capitol Reef (if the pass is open). An incredible range of scenery, plus wonderful
side options in Calf Creek and the Grand Staircase. But if you come back on the main
hwy avoid Panguitch like the plague. You'll be guaranteed a ticket, and Sheriff Zohad
and Deputy Zebud might be around the corner to hassle you too. They don't like
photographers (they think we're all potentially undercover FBI agents). On the other hand, Cedar City tends to be a lot friendlier.

Drew,

I believe it's called Boulder Mountain Pass on Highway 12 and it is open year round save a few temporary closures when it snows alot. I agree it is one of the great drives in southern Utah. One can spend a lifetime just on this road and the areas off of it. I was driving through there this winter on my way back to WI and the Escalante was covered by a foot of snow. Unfortunately, Calf Creek was closed up, but still ended up spending a few days shooting in the area. Jim

Adam Kavalunas
12-May-2010, 12:08
Most small communites in southern Utah are NOT polygamist communities. That poster is completely misinformed. Colorado City/Hilldale was and for the most part still is, but thats about it. Most small communties here are full of really nice people.

No reason to avoid going through Panguitch. I drive through there probably 30+ times a year and have never been stopped. I live in Cedar City and you are much more likely to get a ticket here.

No need to avoid the Grand Staircase if you are alone. The main road (hole-in-the-rock) is usually in fine condition except for a little sand in places, and most of the side roads can be drive with 2WD high clearance. Of course 4WD is better if you have it, but there is a lot you can do without it.

Its amazing to read some of the advice one gets here......:confused:

Drew Wiley
12-May-2010, 13:49
Adam - I've been stopped four times on one trip and hassled. Do you have out of state
plates???? I know other photographers who have been hassled. Some of these little towns have a lot to be paranoid about. Central Utah is the fraud capital of America - not Miami. And it ain't just Colorado City. Don't tell me I haven't seen with my own eyes what I have indeed seen. Just try driving with a nonwhite companion. Some of
these places are VERY unfriendly, and I would put "Pain"guitch on that list. Maybe they
welcome drunk deer hunters, but every single time I've passed through there minding
my own business I've been stopped. The last time I had all my gear rifled through and
was told outright that Californians are unwelcome, and that was one very spooky lawman. And yes, I know of places in Calif and Nevada that have some shady law
enforcement people too, where you better be damn polite, and where folks have been
thrown into jail and refused even a phone call, or might outright disappear if they
stumbled in the sherriff's pot operation or something. Certainly the exception rather than the rule, but no sense being naive about it. It's just part of travel, just like you
don't want to stumble into a meth lab or rattlesnake nest or flashflood. Either you
believe me or call me an outright liar - your choice.

rdenney
12-May-2010, 14:27
Man, you guys must have a radical look about you.

I've driven in Panguitch a zillion times, with Texas plates, and several times with Virginia plates, and never been hassled. The only time I ever got stopped in Utah was for speeding north of Moab, and he wrote me up for exactly the speed I was going. I forgot about it and was late paying, and I called the Grand County court to apologize, and they were friendly and forgiving.

And I've stopped in lots of little towns in Utah and found everyone I've met to be friendly. Of course, like in all rural areas, I mind my own business. I do that in Virginia, too.

But I am a sort-of clean-cut engineer type, heh.

Rick "who does NOT have a 'Hayduke Lives!' bumper sticker" Denney

Adam Kavalunas
12-May-2010, 14:53
First of all Drew, I never called you a liar. All I said is there is no reason to avoid Panguitch. I think most people would agree that your story is an exception to the rule. Granted, I'm sure it wasn't pleasant, but to tell someone to avoid it like the plague, I think that was too far. Agree to disagree I guess.....and yes, for the first 4 years I lived here, I had Michigan plates and was never stopped once, and I've visited many many small towns across southern Utah.

And yes, there are polygamist folks all over Utah. That doesn't make a city a polygmaist comminty. There are many that live here in Cedar, I don't think anyone considers Cedar City a polygamist community......

Drew Wiley
12-May-2010, 15:13
OK Adam, but I've also heard horror stories from some of my rock climbing/canyoneering friends about Panguitch. Maybe they just have certain xenophobic stereotypes about Calif people laying around palm-lined beaches and smoking pot etc. Actually, most of the climbing people I know are well-educated professionals, not potheads. I personally came from a cowboy and Indian town much smaller than Panguitch or Cedar City, and to say that city slickers were treated in a hostile manner would be an understatement. Things have changed, but now you've got meth freaks to worry about. I've been kidnapped once, and work with a fellow who
escaped a kidnapping over there on the Colorado border after being held four days.
Obviously I wouldn't discourage anyone from touring that area - in fact, I love Utah
and hope I can go again this Fall. But one has to be aware of surroundings. Right around here you might be a tourist in SF and accidentally wander into a very dangerous neighborhood or fall off a beach cliff (happened twice last week). About ten years ago several female tourists disappeared from a motel just outside Yosemite, along with a female park ranger. For months the FBI accused local meth-heads, but then it turned out the motel maintenance employee was a recreational serial killer - a real Psycho/Bates Motel incident. And it is a pretty well known fact that some of those
polygamous colonies are basically financed by white-collar crime, have their own goon
squads, and are basically white-supremacist. Not unique to Utah by any means, but
I would personally choose to get gas and supplies somewhere else when traveling.
Just another road hazard. I always carry extra food, water, and blankets too. Getting
caught in a snowstorm or breaking down in a car is a real risk. Probably most of us
large-format types could each write a book about all the predicaments we've been
in over the years.

Mike Anderson
12-May-2010, 16:05
...The last time I had all my gear rifled through and
was told outright that Californians are unwelcome

Tell'em to keep his chaw-pinchin banjo-pluckin fingers off your stuff 'cause you're late for your "Hillary in '16" strategy meeting. You need to be firm with rural law enforcement - they respect that. Don't let them push you around.

...Mike

Henry Ambrose
12-May-2010, 16:22
Dude,

Its the Obama stickers.
Scrape them off before you go back.

Jim Galli
12-May-2010, 18:11
I never have a lick of trouble in Utah. Must be the 10 year old dusty pick-up truck. Modena is a semi ghost that's got some neat possibilities. UP water tank from steam days is still there and perhaps supplies the town with water. Beautiful old abandoned 2 story store building. Spooky looking backwoods yards full of junk, but no one hassled me when I set up the Ries and 8X10.

madmax12
12-May-2010, 18:46
OK who hijacked my thread:confused: . This suppose to be polite conversation about places to photograph in So UTAH:D .Please if you have info I would love it dont fight or argue there is enough of that going on every else lets keep calm:) Thanx I appreciate everyone ideas of where to go I will heed everyone info thanx Craig:D

Drew Wiley
12-May-2010, 19:03
Hi Henry - had no bumper stickers. Was an older truck with some peeling paint,
which I deliberately chose so it wouldn't look like I had expensive gear inside. And
like I said, I'm from the backwoods myself, so know that it can be very dangerous
to sass local law enforcement. For years I let the local constable run his cows in my
pasture (saved me some fire control work with the weeds). In the opposite direction, over the next fence, were some infamous "white trash" types. Their shack
was composed of about six different colors of tarpaper; daddy was in prison, along
with the eldest and youngest sons, for very serious crimes. They were always
screaming at each other and smashing chairs over one another, but didn't both us
much because it's about a quarter mile away. The constable counted his cattle every
day. The oldest son had just been paroled. One cow was missing. So the constable
drove around the corner, and there was the hide hanging from a fencepost behind
their shack, with his brand even showing. Seems like for all the ruckus some
hillbillies can raise, they still can't pass Cattle Rustling 1A.

walter23
12-May-2010, 19:13
I liked morning glory arch and the hike up Negro Bill canyon when I was there. Not sure if it's out of the way or not, but it's not as big of a draw as stuff in Arches NP, I'd imagine.

Jim Becia
13-May-2010, 04:56
A previous post mentioned the Kolob area of Zion and I agree wholeheartedly with that recommendation. Very lightly visited and a wonderful area. You might also check out Cedar Breaks which is just east of Cedar City. Not sure how far you want to travel in the 8 days you have. I'm still a big fan of the Escalante area and the drive is a few hours from St. George. But it is easy to "get lost" in this area. Enjoy. Jim Becia

Drew Wiley
13-May-2010, 10:02
Negro Bill Canyon is indeed lovely, but way on the other side of the state near Moab.
Below Kolob one can actually enter the canyon where Kolob Arch is, allegedly the world's longest, but way up by the rim. Best as an overnite backpack, but can be
reached in a dayhike. A magnificent canyon which rivals the main Zion Park canyon,
but with relatively few people and plenty of solitude. Some wonderful reflecting pools.
You also have the North Creek canyon between Springdale and Kolob, up a small
road which is interesting in itself.

Jlentz
13-May-2010, 10:06
I'm a big fan of Zion NP, I swung through last Monday on my way back to Vegas from Page AZ.

The construction hasn't started yet on the switchbacks before the tunnel so spend some time on the East side of the park if you can. Its also fairly close to Coral Pink dunes for Sunset shots. While your out that way you should try for a sunrise at Bryce at least once.

Have fun! I wish I could spend that much time out there right now.

gevalia
14-May-2010, 08:19
Drew,

I believe it's called Boulder Mountain Pass on Highway 12 and it is open year round save a few temporary closures when it snows alot. I agree it is one of the great drives in southern Utah. One can spend a lifetime just on this road and the areas off of it. I was driving through there this winter on my way back to WI and the Escalante was covered by a foot of snow. Unfortunately, Calf Creek was closed up, but still ended up spending a few days shooting in the area. Jim

Boulder Mountain Pass? You're talking Hells Backbone right?

Don't forget all the canyons and slots (done to death) along the Hole in the Rock Rd outside Escalante. Rt 12 and 24 are great both sunrise and sunset. Let me know if you cross Boulder Mountain and it is NOT snowing.

gd whalen
15-May-2010, 17:08
Damn, this post is thick with drama. There are crazies everywhere and there are nice people everywhere. Life isn't all vanilla ice cream.

Adam Kavalunas
15-May-2010, 17:58
I think you mean the Hogsback, not Hells Backbone?

Mike Hansen
16-May-2010, 15:56
How close to St. George? What are your main interests ?
This time of year Tuweep and the Kanab point look off is a nice trip, but requires A high clearance vehicle. It can be made in one long day from St. George.

Modena,Lund,Grafton and Pipe Springs national monument for old buildings.
Kolob terrace and Smith Mesa, North from Virgin give a different view of Zion.

Mike

Jim Becia
17-May-2010, 06:14
OK, Boulder Mountain Pass is what goes over Boulder Mountain before you drop into Torrey as you head north on Hwy 12. The Hogsback is the ridge on the stretch of Hwy 12 that is between Calf Creek Falls and Boulder. Hells Backbone Road is a road the leaves the Hogsback section of Hwy 12 (going northwest) just before it drops back down into Boulder. It will take you all the way back into Escalante by looping back to the west. It has some incredible areas off of it and can usually done with a car when conditions are normal. Just before it gets back to Escalante (about 6 miles), there is a trailhead to an area called "the Box." It heads up Pine Creek or you can drop down from the top, about an 8 mile trip. I have only made it a couple of miles up as I kept stopping to photograph, but is a gorgeous area. There are all sorts of little canyons along this road. Just make sure that you don't trespass. It would be easy to spend a lifetime exploring the Escalante area. Jim

Boulder Mountain Pass? You're talking Hells Backbone right?

Don't forget all the canyons and slots (done to death) along the Hole in the Rock Rd outside Escalante. Rt 12 and 24 are great both sunrise and sunset. Let me know if you cross Boulder Mountain and it is NOT snowing.

madmax12
17-May-2010, 18:28
I will be in ST George then move on to other sites lots of info here may take a yr to see all of it . But ahhhh thats why I asked thanx people you are wonderful

Mike Hansen
18-May-2010, 07:31
I forgot Cathedral Gorge State park by Panaca, Nevada. One of my favorite places to photograph.
Mike

madmax12
2-Jun-2010, 15:37
just got back could you believe I have all my notes set places that Mike talked about maps ideas everything DAMMMMMMM. let it all on the kitchen table including phone numbers and the like . So I took the route 12 and just winged it . found some really nice writings in ST george you walk right up to as long as you did not mind the strong wind and cliffs. thank you all for the help but old timers has found me and I am not happy will post some images soon Craig