PDA

View Full Version : Acme Synchro Shutter Vibration

Duane Polcou
11-May-2010, 13:04
Greetings,

Are lenses mounted in Acme synchro shutters useable for landscape photography?
I ask this because unlike other Acme shutters where the shutter is first cocked and then released, Acme synchro shutters appear to both cock the shutter and fire upon depressing the cable release, and I am wondering if there is a fair amount of vibration.

Regards,
Duane

Michael Jones
11-May-2010, 13:15
Greetings,

I ask this because unlike other Acme shutters where the shutter is first cocked and then released, Acme synchro shutters appear to both cock the shutter and fire upon depressing the cable release, and I am wondering if there is a fair amount of vibration.

Regards,
Duane

Absolutely fine for landscape photography. Some modern Compur, Copal & Prontor shutters work similarly.

Mike

rdenney
11-May-2010, 14:23
Greetings,

Regards,
Duane

I didn't think it was the Acme Synchro shutters that were self-cocking, but rather the Universal shutters. I have an 8-1/2" Ilex Paragon in a Universal Synchro No. 4 that is self-cocking, and an 12" Ilex-Caltar in an Acme Synchro No. 4. The latter requires pressing a button to cock the shutter, and separate cocking of the flash synch when it is used. The Universal shutter is self-cocking.

In modern brands, self-cocking models are often called "press" shutters.

If your tripod and camera isn't sturdy enough to deal with cocking the shutter as you depress the cable release, you have other problems that need solving.Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Rick "who has used that old Universal shutter for landscapes with no ill effects" Denney