PDA

View Full Version : Why put rangefinders on the right side?

Mike Anderson
9-May-2010, 13:15
Press cameras often have the rangefinder on the right side. Smaller cameras (e.g. Leicas) have the viewfinder on the left side. Can anyone explain why this is so?

Just curious.

...Mike

Nathan Smith
9-May-2010, 13:27
I'd assume it's because the majority of users are right-handed/right-eyed. Same as 35mm and digi cams.

Gem Singer
9-May-2010, 13:33
With the rangefinder in the right side of a press camera, the photographer could keep both eyes open and use the rangefinder with his/her left eye while watching fast moving action unfold with his/her right eye.

Also, the flashgun was mounted on the left side of the camera.

Some cameras had the rangefinder on the top and weren't worth a darn for fast moving press photography.

Mike Anderson
9-May-2010, 14:40
With the rangefinder in the right side of a press camera, the photographer could keep both eyes open and use the rangefinder with his/her left eye while watching fast moving action unfold with his/her right eye.

So keeping the right eye "bare" (press camera) was found to be better for action, while left eye "bare" (Leica) style is better for slower, more contemplative composing?

...Mike

Gem Singer
9-May-2010, 15:24
Mike,

Press cameras used "potato masher' flashguns with large handles that also served as camera grips.

They were usually mounted on the left side of the camera.

Most photographers held the flash gun handle with their left hand and focused with their right hand. Therefore, the rangefinder was mounted on the right side so that they could focus and follow the action at the same time without having the camera in their face blocking the view.

Had nothing to do with contemplative vs faster action or the predominance of the right eye over the left eye..

It's been 61 years since I did press photography with a Speed Graphic, but that's how I remember learning to do it.

Nathan Smith
9-May-2010, 15:35
Most photographers held the flash gun handle with their left hand and focused with their right hand. Therefore, the rangefinder was mounted on the right side so that they could focus and follow the action at the same time without having the camera in their face blocking the view.

Had nothing to do with contemplative vs faster action or the predominance of the right eye over the left eye..

Yep, that's right - but if most folks in the world were left-eyed, that would probably be reversed don't you think?

Bob Salomon
9-May-2010, 15:43
The Master Technika has it on the right The Wista RF has it on the top.

Gem Singer
9-May-2010, 15:46
Yep,

But most folks weren't lefties. So standard Speed Graphics were made with the rangefinders mounted on the right side and the flash gun mounted on the left side of the camera.

I believe that they could be modified with the rangefinder on the left and the flash gun mounted on the right for left handed photographers.

BrianShaw
9-May-2010, 16:16
Interesting... but my Graphic press cameras both have the flash on the right side.
The Anniversary Graphic flash mounts to a bracket that surrounds the rangefinder... which is mounted on the right.

The Super Graphic can actually mount on both sides by moving the hand strap, but unless the handstrap is on the left one cannot use the electric shutter release.

BrianShaw
9-May-2010, 16:26
... but that said...

having the flash on the left so one can grip and click makes sense since right handed focussing is much easier than left handed focussing!

Bill_1856
9-May-2010, 17:39
Probably because it allows increased steadyness with the camera body pressed against the entire face. Particularly important with early focal plane shutters.

BetterSense
9-May-2010, 17:49
Interesting... but my Graphic press cameras both have the flash on the right side.

The mind boggles. Do you load film holders from the left, then? I'm having a hard time understanding how you could load and shoot a sheet-film camera while holding onto the flash on the right side of the thing. I suppose you just used the hand strap on the left and ignored the flash, but it seems better to have the flash on the left where you can grab it.

Ernest Purdum
9-May-2010, 18:30
Do I remember correctly the Kalart Press camera having both left and right viewing?

Mike Anderson
9-May-2010, 21:44
... but that said...

having the flash on the left so one can grip and click makes sense since right handed focussing is much easier than left handed focussing!

Must be something about larger cameras that makes this so because most smaller cameras have the shutter release on the right inducing you to focus with the left hand.

I still don't understand why smaller cameras, usually, have the shutter release is on the right and the viewfinder (if not centered) toward the left, and larger cameras arranged opposite this.

...Mike

Gem Singer
9-May-2010, 22:32
It's not a matter of small camera vs. large camera.

The placement of the rangefinder and viewfinder is based on the type of camera, not the size of the camera.

Roll film cameras load and operate differently than cut film cameras.

Cut film cameras were originally designed to be tripod mounted. Roll film cameras were designed to be hand held.

Press cameras were cut film cameras that needed to be hand held. They were large, heavy cameras had to be operated quickly and easily.

When you think about it, they were very cleverly designed and served their purpose very well.

David de Gruyl
10-May-2010, 05:41
My Crown Graphics have the mount for the flash on the right. I load film from the right. No issue. I hold the camera with my left hand in the strap. All other operations are right handed.

Of course, these are top rangefinder cameras. I can't see anything with the other eye while focusing. The earlier (side rf) cameras such as the Anniversary Speed Graphic shown here: http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/anniversary-graphic.html Also had the flash on the right.

BrianShaw
10-May-2010, 06:46
The mind boggles. Do you load film holders from the left, then? I'm having a hard time understanding how you could load and shoot a sheet-film camera while holding onto the flash on the right side of the thing. I suppose you just used the hand strap on the left and ignored the flash, but it seems better to have the flash on the left where you can grab it.

Like David de Gruyl said, I hold by the hand strap (left hand) and use my right hand to load/unload film, meter, adjust shutter settings, focus, change flashbulbs... and only then do I grasp the flash to trip the shutter. At the point of shutter release I am then holding the camera by both hands and it is very stable. When walking about, I generally hold the camera by the hand strap, not the flash, since that is much more of a secure grip.

As an aside, I looked through my 1940-something edition of the Graflex/Graphic book and noticed that most photos of Graphic cameras with attached flashes had them on the right. The exception was in the Kalart ad and a few other pics. Since the camera is so incrediably versatile it does not surprise me that many people may have reconfigured for their personal preferences.

Wayne Crider
10-May-2010, 10:36
Unless the Graphic was (slightly) modified, the flash is usually always on the right attached to a bracket that was attached to the rangefinder (from the rear). The strap is on the left and under the strap is a threaded hole for a head. Clips for the flash could be moved and attached to the clips for the strap which were wider apart. The following cam for the rangefinder is riveted to the rail on the right. Graflex.org has pictures.

tom thomas
11-May-2010, 15:08
I have two Graflex cameras now. Both have the the Kalart rangefinder and flash mount on the right side of the camera when viewed from the rear. Both are 2X3 format, one is the Minature Speed Graphic, the other a Pacemaker Speed Graphic. Only the Pacemaker has the clip on the leather hand hold strap on the left side. This allows the strap to be quickly removed to access the portrait tripod hole in the camera body. Folks with the Minature model had to take more time for portrait mode apparently.

Here are photos of the two models. With the light sabre flash unit installed, it must be a challenge to swap film packs due to the weight. The 2X3 must be smaller/lighter than the 4X5 so I imagine how strong armed the press photogs used to be.

Tom

Glenn Thoreson
11-May-2010, 17:49
Think about it for a minute. It's on the right so Pirates can use it. Have you never noticed they almost always wear their eye patch on the left eye? All joking aside, what difference does it make, anyhoo? :D

Mike Anderson
11-May-2010, 18:09
Think about it for a minute. It's on the right so Pirates can use it. Have ou never noticed they almost always wear their eye patch on the left eye. All joking aside, what difference does it make, anyhoo? :D

Like I said, just curious. I'm new to LF and as I like at (pictures of) these press cameras I think "nice idea, but the rangefinder's on the wrong side". And I couldn't figure out why you'd use your left eye to look through the viewfinder/rangefinder, when all the cameras I'm used to (smaller cameras) are properly designed to favor my right eye.

I'm gathering that it has something to do with supporting the camera with your left hand, leaving your right hand free to deal with dark slides and such. So with a handle on the left side, the only places left for a rangefinder is the top or the right side.

...Mike

David de Gruyl
11-May-2010, 18:52
One thing to remember is that the rangefinder is not a viewfinder in this camera. It is merely a focus patch rangefinder. (well, twice the diameter of the focus patch, or something like that). At least on the pacemaker. I am not sure about the kalart, but I suspect it is the same way.

I do "focus, move eye to the viewfinder, (guess), compose". Other people do it differently. It is not as if the viewfinder is terribly accurate, either.

BrianShaw
11-May-2010, 20:10
Like David de Gruyl said, I hold by the hand strap (left hand) and use my right hand to load/unload film, meter, adjust shutter settings, focus, change flashbulbs... and only then do I grasp the flash to trip the shutter. At the point of shutter release I am then holding the camera by both hands and it is very stable. When walking about, I generally hold the camera by the hand strap, not the flash, since that is much more of a secure grip.

As an aside, I looked through my 1940-something edition of the Graflex/Graphic book and noticed that most photos of Graphic cameras with attached flashes had them on the right. The exception was in the Heiland ad and a few other pics. Since the camera is so incrediably versatile it does not surprise me that many people may have reconfigured for their personal preferences.