PDA

View Full Version : I finally poured my first plates

Craig Tuffin
9-May-2010, 04:52
Well it's been a long road. I had a serious head injury almost three years ago that gave me 3 skull fractures and should have ended my life, but in hospital I had an epiphany about my photography and the direction it should go. Long story short....wet-plate was the change it needed. Getting the gear in Australia was near impossible but thanks to a fantastic network that began with the legendary Eddie Gunks...I finally poured my first plates yesterday. Obviously things to improve but the journey has started and I'm so pumped it's frightening. The bonus is that I'm a photography teacher in a school here in Australia so it's all a tax deduction....Yeah!!!
One of Steve's (Blackart Woodcraft) half plate camera's with a 9" 'Hawkeye' Petzval approx f4 (compliments of Eddie)

David Watts
9-May-2010, 05:59
Well done Craig. Great results. You're a braver man than me!
Cheers,
David

Shen45
9-May-2010, 06:39
Excellent beginning to an amazing journey.

Steve

Craig Tuffin
9-May-2010, 06:59
Thanks guys. You've gotta get up to the sunny Gold Coast sometime Steve....guaranteed to make you feel better. Bring some lenses just for fun ;)

Mark Sawyer
9-May-2010, 13:54
Congratulations on your first plates! It's good to have meorable images from the first time out.

I'm a high school photo teacher, and just got into wet plates a month or two ago with the help of another forum member, Garrett (Goamules). One of the fun things was learning along with my students, as by the second time I'd "soloed", they were coming to my house in small groups to pour their own plates. And they made some fine images! I hope you introduce your students to it as well.

Alas, teaching supplies are not tax deductible here. :( If I was a CEO, I could deduct a new Mercedes, a trip to the Bahamas, country club membership, dinners at five-star restaurants...

Flea77
13-May-2010, 19:56
Fantastic! This is a journey I have thought about, but I will admit it, I am a coward.

Allan

JamesGilmore
7-Jun-2010, 19:27
Really sweet imagery, CraigT! I just poured my first plates in April, and I know the exhilaration that I felt that first time... and I've been scrambling ever since to get set up for myself.

I'm almost there... I need a silver nitrate tank and some chems... eyes on the prize, all of that!