PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Crown/Speed Love... where is it?

Caivman
7-May-2010, 07:21
Not seeing much Love for the ol' press camera's on here. Mostly Monorails and Field cameras. What gives?

And no... i'm not starting a "hurr no movements" arguement. I love my press, and i'd defend it to the grave.

Jack Dahlgren
7-May-2010, 08:29
Not seeing much Love for the ol' press camera's on here. Mostly Monorails and Field cameras. What gives?

I don't think you have looked very far.

Jim Graves
7-May-2010, 08:47
Yup ... I just searched "Graflex" in the Cameras and Camera Accessories category and got 749 threads ... if you consider that the press cameras could also be searched under "Graphic", "Speed", "Crown", etc., etc., etc. I think you'll find a ton of information and support for them. I'm still shooting my Speed (camera, that is.)

BrianShaw
7-May-2010, 08:48
I don't think you have looked very far.

x2

Michael Graves
7-May-2010, 08:52
Yup. One of the more popular cameras among the group here. Personally, I own a Crown and my wife has a Speed. Those are our hiking cameras we use when she's trying to murder me with healthy living.

harlekin
7-May-2010, 08:52
My Crown Graphic may not have full movements, but the rudimentary movements are plenty for the kind of photography I'm interested in. It may not be a fancy new wooden field camera, but I find it pretty easy to drag around. I'd say it's a great beginners' camera because they're cheap and ubiquitous (especially if you intend to use it in the field where an old Sinar would be a pain). My only real complaint is that most of the press lenses have minimal coverage, so one of these days I'm going to need to shell out for a better lens.

I'm still learning proper photography, but I intend to have a good feel for it before I take the Crown hiking in the Grand Canyon in August. I've got a nice little kit put together in a Kelty Redwing.

David de Gruyl
7-May-2010, 08:55
I love my crown. Use it at least twice a week, shoot about 18 frames / week.

IanG
7-May-2010, 09:06
I have 3, an early 1960's Crown with a great CZJ 150mm Tessar (coated) - lens elements bought from this forum, as well as a Pacemaker Speed (no shutter) and a special Wide Angle pre-Anniversary Speed.

While it's true the movements on the Pacemakers are limited I'm just finishing a modified a spare front standard which allows front swing, or rather tilt when the camera's used in portrait mode.

My Crown get plenty of use in Turkey & Greece where I'm often having to work hand held as tripods are not permitted.

Ian

Robert Hughes
7-May-2010, 09:42
Graflex cameras drool! Busch Pressmans Rule! :p
Movements are for people who can't shoot straight! ;)

BrianShaw
7-May-2010, 10:00
Graflex cameras drool! (snip) :p

:p back at ya'

:)

rdenney
7-May-2010, 10:05
Every time I see a later Speed Graphic with a Kalart rangefinder and a Graflok back (which is what I want) on the for-sale forum, they usually sell within about four minutes, and always before I get to it.

On the other hand, Frank had his first-class Sinar F1 monorail camera for a silly low price--within $100 of the typical Pacemaker Crown or Speed of good condition but much older--for a couple of weeks before someone finally bought it. I'd have bought it myself had I not already had one. Monorail 4x5 cameras of Graflex quality and age typically sell on this forum for $100 or so.

Rick "the market speaks" Denney

BrianShaw
7-May-2010, 10:07
Rick "the market speaks" Denney

Darn right... this is the one rule of thumb that seems rather irrevokable.

Roger Thoms
7-May-2010, 10:36
Hey, I have a Speed Graphic which I have been using of late. Great camera and a lot of fun to shoot with. My photo for the 2009/2010 print exchange was shot hand held with the Speed. The cool thing is that I was on a crowded tram and using my Sinar with a tripod would have been out of the question.

Roger

Caivman
7-May-2010, 11:07
0_o go to lunch, two pages of responses... lol, looks like i struck a chord.

Sorry to offend anyone, but as so many of you have pointed out, there IS a large following of Graphics/press cameras. I guess what brought up my question was the fact that there wasn't much of a discussion about them on the first few pages of any board. Even in the "Show off your camera" thread, there's not a ton of P.C.'s shown. Being so easily obtained and easy to use, i would've expected more. then again, if everyone has one... why show it off? lol. Which reminds me, i need to post a pic of mine...

More of a curiosity than a concern, but at least now i know i'm in the right place.
:-) Keep pressin it up!

Daniel_Buck
7-May-2010, 11:15
I bring my speed and flash to vintage auto races, and shoot it there, and sometimes as a walk-around camera or as a camera to use on fast barrel lenses (with the focal plane shutter)

Glenn Thoreson
7-May-2010, 11:16
I like my Speed Graphics. All dozen or so.

al olson
7-May-2010, 11:44
I'm surprised that there has been no mention of Linhof in this thread. Fifty years ago the Technikas were the Cadillac of press photography.

I was in envy of the "rich" press photographers who could afford a Linhof while I was shooting with my Super Graphic. Maybe staff photographers were provided Linhofs by their newspaper.

I now have a Technika IV and a Super Technika 23 that were much more affordable used. They compete for my time with the Linhof Color rail camera.

Anyway, there is no lack of threads involving the Technikas, either.

rdenney
7-May-2010, 12:47
Being so easily obtained...

Uh, no. They are commonly offered, but the demand keeps pace. I am looking specifically for a Speed Graphic (because I want the focal-plane shutter) with a side-mounted Kalart (because it's easy to calibrate at home, or so I imagine) and a Graflok back (because I want to put a 6x12 roll-film adapter on it that I already have). There are lots of older Speeds with spring backs being offered, but even those sell quickly, and lots of newer ones with top rangefinders. I want something in the middle.

In the last year or so, I've seen about four of those go by, and they all sold within minutes of being offered.

When I decided to buy a Sinar monorail camera, I had a good one within a week, and had my choice of several that were available at that (random) moment. At any given moment, there are a couple hundred Sinar items for sale on ebay.

Rick "thinking any real Graflex evangelist should offer me one for cheap to help spread the love" Denney

Caivman
7-May-2010, 14:03
Rick, i'd like you to meet Glenn (see above)

Apparently there are people out there that hoard the things... lol. Can't say i blame him though.

I searched for 4 years before i found the 4x5 Graphic i ended up getting, so i can relate to what you're saying. Finding one isn't too difficult, but finding one you want is worth the wait.

I've got a spring backed 3x4 i'm willing to part from. It'd make a pretty decent conversion camera platform for a polaroid/fuji back or a roll back if you're halfway crafty with some tools.

BrianShaw
7-May-2010, 15:31
Rick "thinking any real Graflex evangelist should offer me one for cheap to help spread the love" Denney

As an alternative... I'd be more than happy to borrow your 6x12 back and tell you how well it works on a Speed Graphic. That way you can buy with confidence. :D

brian d
7-May-2010, 17:00
As an alternative... I'd be more than happy to borrow your 6x12 back and tell you how well it works on a Speed Graphic. That way you can buy with confidence.
And as soon as Brian is done with it I'll test it on a Super Graphic so that you know if you have more than one option.:D :D
Brian

Frank Petronio
7-May-2010, 20:55
I think Crown-Speed owners are busier shooting than dicking around with their yuppie status symbols ;-)

David de Gruyl
7-May-2010, 21:02
Frank, do you mean their computers?

Robert Hughes
8-May-2010, 06:08
Hey, some of my best friends use spell checkers. I just wouldn't want my daughter to marry one.

jp
8-May-2010, 06:40
I've got one in my car, and another speed graphic on the way.

I've got an maybe 1952ish speed graphic I bought a little more than a year ago as my first LF. It was kinda ratty and the focal plane shutter was not functioning properly. I cleaned it up, got a new strap for it, and don't use the focal plant shutter on it. It's been a high quality inexpensive camera yielding some nice photos using the lens's shutter.

I just bought on here a 30's-ish speed graphic with the hope that I can use shutterless lenses like the various enlarger lenses and portrait lenses. It might be a little lighter for hiking too.

Filmnut
8-May-2010, 07:48
I shoot LF solely with a Speed, that my Dad bought in 1951. He shot with it till about 1970, when he started using smaller formats, and I took over the use of it a couple of years later, around '72 or '73.
I really like it, though I sometimes wish for more movements.
Who here uses the Super Graphic (I think that's the name), the last model that has more movements?
Keith

Mike Anderson
8-May-2010, 08:17
Hey, some of my best friends use spell checkers. I just wouldn't want my daughter to marry one.

Human/spell checker marriage is outlawed in most states anyway.

...Mike

jnantz
8-May-2010, 08:31
i have a speed and use it
its handy with junque store lenses ...

i don't use it as much as i used to though ..
i use a series D more often

dsphotog
8-May-2010, 09:19
I use a Super & a TRF Crown for nearly all my 4X5 field shooting.
I like the compactness the quick set-up of this type of camera.

Tintype Bob
8-May-2010, 09:24
I have 3 Speed Graphics I love them all

2- 4x5
1 -31/4 X 41/4

I have modified one for more tilt but the all work great after all these years - Great for when I need to travle light.

ethics_gradient
8-May-2010, 10:28
I bought a Crown with a Graflex back as my first LF camera about six months ago, then sold it for a Pacemaker Speed, which came with a jammed focal plane shutter and a Graphic back. It got put in a box (been meaning to put it back into circulation to free up some space/funds) when I picked up a working 4x5 Pacemaker with a Graflok back. Have been happily shooting for the last month. I'm wondering if I'd like a Graflex 4x5 SLR better for handheld/candids, but I want to give the Speed some more time to grow on me before I think about selling it.

Michael Cienfuegos
8-May-2010, 12:28
I just picked up a very nice 1953 Pacemaker Speed. It looks and works like it is a new camera. I also have a 1948 Crown, a 1935 Pre Anny Speed and a Model B Graflex. These are my 4x5's I put a graflok back on the Pre Anny, but will probably take it off and return the spring back to this camera. I also have a pre anny 3x4 Speed which is held together with gaffer's tape and a prayer. It has a graflex back. I can use the bag mags from my 3x4 RB model B on this camera. I also have a 2x3 Anniversary Speed and a 2x3 RB Model D Graflex. The 2x3 Graflex is a kick to use with a 120 6x9 roll film adapter. I also use a bag mag with this little camera.

rdenney
8-May-2010, 18:30
And as soon as Brian is done with it I'll test it on a Super Graphic so that you know if you have more than one option.:D :D
Brian

Nope, not seeing much evidence of love there.

Rick "not feeling evangelized a-tall" Denney

curtis roberts
8-May-2010, 19:09
I shoot with a B&J flat bed but if I want to go with a 90mm or just going light, it's my Speed . I go back & forth so much I combined a B&J lens board with a Crown front so I can use same board for both

jrko
11-May-2010, 07:55
Question for you Graflex lovers/hoarders/users....

Speed Graphic with Ektar 127mm or Crown Graphic with Xenar 135 mm?

Credit card in hand :D

IanG
11-May-2010, 07:59
You need to decide if you want a Focal Plane shutter, the Crown is lighter and the Xenar is a good lens.

Ian

jp
11-May-2010, 08:36

Credit card in hand :D

I am pleased with the Ektar 127. My use has been mostly typical, but check out what ajsikel has been using this lens for in the Image Sharing/May portraits for something really special.

Haven't used the Xenar 135.

I am not so concerned about weight, so I have passed on the Crown Graphics. I would rather have the Speed Graphic's extra shutter for use with shutterless lenses.

If neither weight nor focal plane shutter is of concern, you might want to go with whatever doesn't need a CLA. Maybe they both do. You could budget $100 for a CLA, and if you need it, it's well worth it to have accurate exposures.

Dan Fromm
11-May-2010, 08:57

Credit card in hand :DBoth. The Crown for short lenses in shutter, the Speed for longer lenses and lenses in barrel. One Graphic isn't enough.

Graflex Shooter
13-May-2010, 09:00
No reason anymore to shoot with the focal plane shutter as much as I like them unless you do sports. my 4x5 Speed has an optar lens and its as good as a Schneider I own. Buy a Crown, you'll like it.

jchesky
18-May-2010, 20:35
This is a late add to this thread, but I have a 4x5 Speed and newer top RF Crown. I love both. I also have two 2 1/4x3 1/4 speeds and two 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 crowns. I love all of them for their easy care and handling. Yes, they do not have a lot of movements, but they are the best toss-in-the-back-seat ang go shooting camera(s) there are. Count me a Graflex fan.

Jim

Wade D
19-May-2010, 19:42
Another fan of the Speed. I have an old Anni (1946) that still works like new. Doesn't look new but works that way. A very fun camera to shoot with.:)

John Kasaian
22-May-2010, 17:10
I am really quite smitten by my 5x7 Speeder, but it is more lust than love! :D

brian d
22-May-2010, 18:43
John Kasaian I am really quite smitten by my 5x7 Speeder, but it is more lust than love!

size DOES matter:D :D

archer
23-May-2010, 00:21
I have six Speed Graphics, most in mint condition and I use them all the time, however, my favorite camera and the one I use most often is a lowly Iston field camera that my late son, who knew very little about photography, bought for me because he thought it was pretty.
Denise Libby

tbeaman
23-May-2010, 15:27
Lots of love here!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/captainhottie/photo%20forums/03240010-lff-cc.jpg

Enough, in fact, to make my first post. :D

geneaker
23-May-2010, 17:14
I shoot lots of LF every week. One of my favorites is the Super Graphic; I've used it the last few years----and first shot one back in '74. My current Super has everything you would want--rangefinder, scale, gg focusing, sports finder, revolving back---and best of all--electric shutter release!
The Rodenstock 135mm in the twist barrel that cocks the shutter is quite sharp. Being able to handhold this old fellow opens up subjects I could not shoot with a monorail or field camera.