PDA

View Full Version : 2x3 Graflex Back

Graflex Shooter
6-May-2010, 20:29
Hello,
I have acquired an old Graflex 2x3 Series B and would like to find a Graflex roll film back. I hear they aren't too easy to find, but I thought someone here might know something. Any help would be appreciated.

Caivman
7-May-2010, 07:24
I've got an old 3x4 and i'm having the same trouble... things are sparse.

Glenn Thoreson
7-May-2010, 19:43
Graflex did make at least one 120 roll holder for the 2X3 cameras equipped with the Graflex back. Member Dan Fromm has one. Maybe the only one? You have to watch what you're getting if you buy a roll holder for the 3X4 and 4X5 versions. The 4X5 holder from eons ago used 122 film. Not good these days. Look for other brands such as Suydam, etc., too. There were a number of "Brand X" models on the market.

Bill_1856
7-May-2010, 20:40
Keep your eyes peeled for a 'Bag-Mag." Check with Lens and Repro.

Graflex Shooter
7-May-2010, 21:44
Got a bag mag on ebay tonight, supposedly light tight and fully functional. They look harder to use than a grafmatic which is painlessly easy. Still would like to have a roll film back though

Bill L.
8-May-2010, 05:16
I've seen them on ebay from time to time. Keep looking. Main problem is figuring out whether the back is really for a graflok or graflex mount if the seller isn't knowledgeable. From what I've seen so far, if it says "23 graphic" on the back, it is graflok mount. If it says "23 graflex" on the back, it might be either graflok or graflex mount.

Cheers!
Bill

Dan Fromm
8-May-2010, 06:04
Glenn, I have two (2). Got both on eBay. One will attach correctly to Graflex and Graflok backs, the other only to Graflex backs.

They're there, GS, just look and be patient. eBay sellers don't always identify them correctly. To find out what one looks like, go to www.graflex.org and read the FAQs.

Graflex Shooter
8-May-2010, 08:34
Thanks, I hope to find one, but so I don't overspend, what is a ballpark figure for a good use Graflex roll holder?

Ernest Purdum
8-May-2010, 08:41
I used to use a bag mag. I don't remember much hassle.

Dan Fromm
8-May-2010, 09:53
GS, my two were both under $80, the less expensive one considerably so. But, y'know, its a thin market and prices are dispersed.

Graflex Shooter
8-May-2010, 10:30
I have found several for 4x5 cameras, but none for 2x3, anyone want to part with one?

neil poulsen
9-May-2010, 12:34
Go the Camera page on EBay and search for graf* . EBay regularly has the medium format versions.

Also beware that they come in 6x9 and 6x8 sizes. So, ask for actual dimensions of the opening/film frame.

Another source is KEH: http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Large-Format/system-Large-Format/category-Back-and-Magazine-Accessories?s=1&bcode=LF&ccode=12&cc=78922&r=WG&f

Dan Fromm
9-May-2010, 14:01
Neil, Graflex never offered 6x8 or 6x9 backs. AFAIK, they never quoted metric nominal sizes.

Graflex made roll holders for 120 film with three gate sizes. In English measures their sizes are very close to 2.25" x 2.25" (nominal 6x6, actual 56 mm x 56 mm), 2.25" by 2.75" (nominal 6x7, actual 56 x 69, note than some makers' 6x7 roll holders have gates as long as 72 mm), and 2.25" x 3.25" (nominal 6x9, actual 56 x 81 but note that 2x3 Graflex housings with pin rollers at the ends of the gate are actually 56 x 78 or so).

The metric sizes we all use (6x6, 6x7, 6x9) are very poor approximations to actual gate sizes. Its a pity that so many people treat them as real.

Also, Neil, I'd be skeptical about Graflex accessories from KEH. In the past they've sent me a 4x5 Pacemaker board when I ordered a 2x3, a mystery board when I ordered a 2x3 Pacemaker, and, once, a 2x3 Pacemaker board when that was what I ordered. They don't know what they have and don't check when packing. The 4x5 board, tagged 2x3, was shipped with a 2x3.

GS, be patient. Your ship will come in. It took me roughly a month to accumulate two holders for my little 2x3 RB, and during that period I was outbid on several.