PDA

View Full Version : Crescent City, California Area

Brian Ellis
6-May-2010, 10:00
I'll be in Crescent City, California for three days in a couple weeks. I'm fairly familiar with Jedediah Smith and the other redwood parks in the area, also with driving along Highway 101 for ocean views. But if anyone knows of any specific locations in those areas, or any other areas of photographic interest for landscape or architecture within roughly a two hour round trip of Crescent City, I'd appreciate learning of them. Thanks.

douglas gove
6-May-2010, 10:38
I'll be in Crescent City, California for three days in a couple weeks. I'm fairly familiar with Jedediah Smith and the other redwood parks in the area, also with driving along Highway 101 for ocean views. But if anyone knows of any specific locations in those areas, or any other areas of photographic interest for landscape or architecture within roughly a two hour round trip of Crescent City, I'd appreciate learning of them. Thanks.

brian...take a trip north on 101 into oregon wonderful stretch of beaches and coastal overlooks between brookings and gold beach> samuel boardman state park and pistol river area...doug

D. Bryant
6-May-2010, 14:49

So are you shooting with 4x5 or larger?

Don Bryant

Brian Ellis
6-May-2010, 19:08
Thanks Doug, I'm familiar with that area and plan to spend some time there on the way back.

chemicalbrother
6-May-2010, 22:08
I've be shooting Samuel boardman for quite some time now
As I live in brookings, Maybe I can help ?

chemicalbrother
6-May-2010, 22:16
Right now there is 3 waterfalls at secret beach in sam boardman ,A 30 footer 12 and 3

Brian Ellis
7-May-2010, 11:39
I've be shooting Samuel boardman for quite some time now
As I live in brookings, Maybe I can help ?

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I do know the area well, I photograph there about 3-4 times a year.

h2oman
7-May-2010, 11:47
I like the large rocks right on the beach just north of the main block of houses out on the cliff. I couldn't give you streets, but if you follow your nose west you'll find everything of interest. When the tide is out there are some cool bedrock type formations, and when it is higher there are some sort of rock islands with channels.

I also like the lighthouse, and the large concrete things making up the breakwater by it might be in interesting subject. I like the harbor with its boats, but it has defeated me with its complexity in the past!

Steve M Hostetter
7-May-2010, 12:58
Crescent City Marina, 8x10 210mmXL

h2oman
7-May-2010, 13:56
^ And there's the lighthouse in the background!

Steve Feldman
7-May-2010, 15:03
Brian,

About 100 miles south of Crescent City on the 101 is Ferndale, CA. Very interesting Victorian architecture. And a very old cemetery on a hill. :)

Take me! :D

Steve Feldman
7-May-2010, 15:13
Brain,

Have you photographed the covered bridges in OR? My favorite is the Yachats Bridge in (where else?) Yachats and the Office Bridge.

BTW - Never thought I'd be giving you advice on where to shoot. I'm usually taking advice from you. :D

Atul Mohidekar
7-May-2010, 16:32

Fern Canyon in Prairie Creek State Park, 25 mi south of Crescent City. At this time of the year, the stream and the waterfall will have quite a bit of water and the canyon walls would be covered with lush green ferns. This link has a good short video:
http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=476

After the video ends, you will see links to other videos which include few more videos of the canyon.

PBS Documentary: California’s Golden Parks – The beautiful hiking trail to the entrance of the canyon
http://www.youtube.com/v/2qMBUZCB7A8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0

You might want to call the ranger phone number located on the official stage park site (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=415) to ensure that the water level is not too high allowing you to walk on the canyon floor.

// Atul

DaveAlbano
7-May-2010, 19:19
Google has a very cool feature www.maps.google.com enter destination and then select "More..." from the field of view and then Photos. Should not be too hard to find something interesting. Post a few when you get back for the next searcher.

Brian Ellis
7-May-2010, 21:49
Thanks very much for all the suggestions.

Bruce Watson
9-May-2010, 20:51
You might find this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=60337) interesting.