PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic 2x3

William Westergren
28-Feb-2002, 06:46
I've been offered to buy a very nice Speed Graphic 6x9 cm ( 2x3 inch) for quite a good price ( about USD 150). Is it possible to mount roll film backs on this c amera ( 6x7 and 6x9 )? I have no experience with LF so far, but before buying a bigger format this came ra seem to be a nice way to give it a try.

Thanks for any comments.

KN7yeEBJ
28-Feb-2002, 09:02
If the camera has a Graflok back (NOT a spring back, with the focusing panel permanently attached) it will accept 6x7 backs as used on the Mamiya RB 67, Horseman backs, and, oh yes, roll backs (2 1/4 x 2 1/4, 2 1/4 x 2 3/4, 2 1/4 x 3 1/8) made by Graflex. This last includes most of Graflex' backs for 2x3 cameras, but NOT ones made to fit cameras with Graflex backs. For elucidation of these mysteries, go to www.graflex.org.

If the camera has a spring back, it can be used with 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Adapt-A-Roll 620 backs. Again, go to www.graflex.org

Cheers,

Dan

Bill Jefferson
28-Feb-2002, 16:48
William,

I paid 80.00 us for the 2x3 in pristine shape and I am the second owner. bill

Wayne Crider
28-Feb-2002, 19:37
P.S. Bill lucked out. The common price is about a $125 to $150 for the body, with kits adding lenses going into the $300's for the Century Graphics. Personally I'd buy the camera alone and add the lens later, unless the lens was very sweet and the shutter perfect. I've found that the older lenses usually have slow shutter speeds that are off, and this is where you need them to be correct. I almost never shoot my Century Graphic above 1/100. Usually it's down around 1/25, 1/10, 1/5 or 1/2 sec. Also remember that it's the lens, not the box, since these cameras don't have much for movements. A good user with a good bellows will do as well. I believe the 90mm is the right lens for the job; Some came with the 101 or the 103. I prefer a wider lens, but the struts for the cover get in the way if you go too short making use of any movements a pain in the arse. Watch for limits on the size of the hole thru the front standard. Your choices in lenses will be dictated by this unless you want to install the lens thru the rear.

Harry L. Martin
1-Mar-2002, 05:53
The speed graphics with their focal plane shutters are quite heavy. I owned a 4x5 Crown Graphic, a 2x3 and a 3x4 Speed Graphic. Last year I sold off the Speeds because the 2x3 Speed weighed as much as my 4x5 Crown, the 3x4 Speed weighed much more. I kept my 4x5 crown and use it with 6x6cm and 6x9 Graphic backs (Cost me on eBay about $60.00 USD each). And, I can use it with 4x5 inch sheet film (A true LF size). Suggest buying a late model 4x5 Crown Graphic (1955 or later) that shouldn't cost a whole lot more than the 2x3 Speed. It was my first LF camera and I still use it 25 Years later.

james mickelson
1-Mar-2002, 20:39
Yes there are rollfilm holders that will slip beneath the springback and there are holders that will fit the graflok backs. I think the baby speed graphic is a great little camera. I use my baby Busch Pressman all the time though I opted to shoot sheet film with it. I have used an 80mm lens with a recessed lens board. But the focus rail guide doesn't corrolate with it. And the range finder won't be right either. But I'd buy the thing. And short lenses work. The bed drops down and the front standard rolls back and rises to accomodate the drop. James

e
3-Mar-2002, 01:32
The 2x3 graphic is a nice light camera. I use 6x9 roll backs on mine with great results. The 101 ektar is a nice lens to say the least and I particularly like a 180mm f5.5 schneider also.Both these lenses came with the camera and work very well.But...since I bought the Linhof 2x3 I use it more because of the movements.The graphic is a pleasure to carry because of the weight though!

k8ewl
16-May-2011, 14:51
Hello all: Does anyone know how to release the darkslide on a Singer Graflex RH10 magazine? I found one on Ebay for my Century Graflex 2 x 3.
Thanks Eric

Dan Fromm
16-May-2011, 15:14
Hello all: Does anyone know how to release the darkslide on a Singer Graflex RH10 magazine? I found one on Ebay for my Century Graflex 2 x 3.
Thanks EricDon't understand the question.

The dark slide doesn't release. It pulls out, pushes in. Nothing to it.

Might you be asking how to open the shell? There's a pair of gizmos on the left end (opposite from the slot that accepts the dark slide). Take between thumb and forefinger and squeeze. Nothing to it.

k8ewl
17-May-2011, 20:29
Hello:
Does anyone know where I can get a Graphex lens repaired?
Thanks

Sirius Glass
18-May-2011, 09:10
Hello:
Does anyone know where I can get a Graphex lens repaired?
Thanks

Exactly what do you need repaired?

If the shutter is sticking, remove the front and rear elements at put on a little graphite for repairing locks on both sides, blow out the excess and exercise the shutter many times at each speed. Then reassemble the lens.

More than that contact Carol (Flutot) Miller in Los Angeles. I have used her and she is highly recommended on APUG.org

Steve

tom thomas
18-May-2011, 12:23
Eric, here is a photo showing the cover release latch Dan Fromm is talking about. Squeeze the two silver tabs and the cover should lift open to allow you to remove the film holder itself. The silver tab of the dark slide is visible as well. You should be able to pull it straight out from the slot, removing it completely.

Also, Sirius mentioned to remove both the front and rear lens elements. The rear one can be real tight but don't be tempted to use pliers on it. Try to get a rubber bottle stopper larger than the lens ring. Ace Hardware usually has a large display of them in variouos sizes. They work great for the rear lens. Be careful on the front lens if you try to use a rubber stopper as the lens protrudes beyond the ring. You may scratch/rub the lens itself. I find thumb and forefinger work great for removing the front ring.

Tom

rjmeyer314
18-May-2011, 12:55
For Speed Graphics with spring backs Graflex used to offer a spring kit. You would remove the spring back and replace it with 2 spring clips. The graflex roll film holder would fit under these and stay in place. The kits come up on Ebay every once in a while. I converted one of my 2 2x3 Speed Graphics to use a rollfilm holder this way. I suspect you could easily make a couple of clips to do the same thing out of some scrap metal.