PDA

View Full Version : Need user manual Caltar 215 convertible

bvaughn4
4-May-2010, 20:10
I am the ecstatic new owner of a Zone VI 4x5 which just arrived today. Awesome package deal from the back of someone's closet.

One of the lenses that was included appears to be an Ilex/Calumet Series-S Caltar No 2014 8 1/2 in / 215mm f4.8 in a No 3 Acme shutter. The shutter is marked with 2 aperture scales leading me to believe it's a convertible. Nowhere on the lens does it say convertible or any other focal length information. Anyone able to provide me some direction where to look for some additional information? Particularly how to properly use it - I removed the front element and was able to focus it and the resulting image area appeared to be pretty close to double the focal length. A user manual or a few do's an don'ts would be awesome.

Also, where can I definitively find out which Zone VI version I have? The placard says Manufactured by Zone Vi Studios Newfane Vt. USA. The owner believed it might be a Wista, but after its arrival and seeing that it has quite a long bellows extension and removable bellows (bag bellows was included) I am inclined to think it might be a Wisner. I have seen several statements on the wording of the placard indicating the manufacturer, but haven't seen any articles with the specific wording this one has. Not sure what wood it is. Not really dark though. Maybe cherry? It has bright brass (they may be the gold plated ones) knobs.

TIA

Bill

Vick Vickery
4-May-2010, 20:36
It is indeed a convertible lens, 215mm f/4.8 with both lens groups in place, 356mm f/10 using only the rear lens group. This is a greatly underrated lens and I'm very fond of mine, which I stole off of eBay at a really rediculously low price. Like all convertible lenses, you should double check your focus after stopping down when using only the rear lens group since convertibles often display some focus shift after being stopped down...a minor problem that I believe accounts for alot of the bad press convertible lenses have gotten thru the years.

A bit of trivia: Adams use one of these frequently and if you look in his book "Camera and Lens" at the illustrations depicting camera movements using a Calumet 400 series view camera you will find that lens on the Calumet.

Keith Fleming
4-May-2010, 21:03
Look up Richard Ritter on the Internet and ask him. He was with Zone VI and put the cameras together. Richard is also recommended if your Zone VI or any other woooden camera needs repair.
Also, make sure you give him the serial number of the camera when you ask your questions.

Keith

Steve Goldstein
5-May-2010, 04:18
If you look carefully at the aperture scales you'll see the focal lengths are marked there. Look to the right (counterclockwise) from the largest opening marking, i.e. 4.8 or 10. Mine has the black-faced front plate, and using green for the convertible apertures was not the best choice...

bvaughn4
5-May-2010, 04:54
Thank you all, even more excited now with the extra surprise that came with the camera!

Lynn Jones
7-May-2010, 12:42
Hi Bill,

I was with Calumet when all of these Caltars were created. Kodak had quit making LF lenses, US Goerz was a mess, Schneider was our only supplier and we had some problems there

My old friend Manual "Manny" Kiner had just set up a group and bought Ilex Optical. We needed LF lenses so Bill Ryan and I talked to Manny and so, Caltar was created. The first lenses were f 6.3 tessar type with some new glasses and couputer design (this was in late 1964). These were very successful, following that Manny created a 103 degree super wide that was great. I asked Manny if he could make a plasmat that was convertible, he said sure. The first lens was the 215 f4.8 and it was incredible. In fact is was so good that Rodenstock flew over to Calumet and begged us to let them private label Sironars as "S" Caltars. there were a goodly number of these 215's but all the rest of the SCaltars were Sironars.

Later when I was with B&J/BBOI, they were made as Acuton (B&J) or Acu Symmetrical (BBOI). Most of the activity was with B&J, Acutar (tessar type), Acuton (plasmat), Acugon (f 8.0 super wide). The BBOI names were Acu-Tessar, Acu-Symmetrical, and I can't remember the WA name. With all of these Ilex lenses, none of them were copies, they were all computer designed with the best of optical glasses at the time.

Unfortunately my good friend Manny had a terrible auto accident and had brain damage that never permitted him be be active again.

Lynn

lenser
7-May-2010, 13:03
The only 'do' is to use the heck out of that wonderful lens and the only 'don't' is to not forget to use the green f stops when using it without the front cell. Otherwise you will be drastically under exposed.

I've owned two over the years (dumb to sell the first one) and it is terrific in both standard and converted focal lengths. My results easily rival my 210mm Caltar II for sharpness and contrast. The converted length is equally good, but do double check and possibly adjust focus after stopping down.

The Acme shutters tend to be a bit slow, especially at the high end, so be aware of that. I just had Carol and Flutot'scamerarepair.com do a CLA on mine and the top end remains slow compared to the marked speeds. Mid and bottom end are dead on. Just adjust your exposures to the true speeds and you really have to issues. Great lens!!!!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
7-May-2010, 13:06
The downside of this lens, at least in my experience, is that it is particularly prone to flare--even more than other single coated plasmats--so be careful and use a shade,

cdholden
7-May-2010, 20:57
I was fortunate enough to get one cheap when trying to salvage a lens for another optic. I've seen a photo of this lens on the auction site recently with a very large rear element. Mine isn't that big. Are they *all* convertible or just some of them?
Chris

Mark Sawyer
8-May-2010, 09:15
All the f/4.8 Ilex/Caltar 215mm Plasmats are convertible. There are also f/6.3 Ilex/Caltar 215mm Tessars that are not convertible.

I use the 215mm f/4.8 on my 8x10. At infinity it still offers a little bit of movement, and stays sharp well into the corners. It's a very fine lens!

Philippe Grunchec
8-May-2010, 09:31
I own a convertible Sironar 5.6/150 and was told to remove the back cell: is that correct?

David Lindquist
8-May-2010, 13:48
I own a convertible Sironar 5.6/150 and was told to remove the back cell: is that correct?

A circa mid-1970's brochure I have on the Sironar says that to convert to the longer focal length the front component is used alone. To do so "...it is only necessary to unscrew the rear component." This is of course different from the usual practice with a convertible lens where the single component (whether front or back in the combined lens) is mounted behind the shutter and diaphragm.

This brochure also states "With the front component alone, optimum sharpness will be obtained between F/45 and F/64. At smaller apertures , resolution will be degraded by diffraction."
David

Michael Jones
11-May-2010, 13:31
A circa mid-1970's brochure I have on the Sironar says that to convert to the longer focal length the front component is used alone. To do so "...it is only necessary to unscrew the rear component." This is of course different from the usual practice with a convertible lens where the single component (whether front or back in the combined lens) is mounted behind the shutter and diaphragm.

David

Interesting.

My understanding was that the front cell was to be removed. In the dark, distant past, I used convertible Protars and those old tomes note that whichever cell you used (some lenses were triple convertibles), you placed the taking cell at the rear and used a #12 or stronger yellow filter for correction.

Here is a link to a '65 Calumet catalog noting the front cell is to be removed on Schneider lenses:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/calumet_1.html

But to paraphrase what Fred Picker used to say, who cares what the books or people say: "Try it."

Mike

eddie
11-May-2010, 15:06
thanks for that great info lynn!