PDA

View Full Version : dallmeyer soft focus - anybody know?

Emil Schildt
4-May-2010, 12:41
saw this on the bay.

not sure if I could track it on the vade mecum..

anybody know?

item nr: 370372614569

Emil Schildt
4-May-2010, 12:50
:( :o

oups - I forgot cameraeccentric.....

I think it is here..

(but I'll still be interested to know whether somebody has any experience with it..)

Jim Galli
4-May-2010, 12:59
I don't have one, but it looks all the world like an achromatic meniscus. Same as the Kodak 305mm Portrait lens, or the Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus. I'm curious if anyone is going to bid the 800 bucks on it. They are pretty lenses.

Emil Schildt
4-May-2010, 13:02
I don't have one, but it looks all the world like an achromatic meniscus. Same as the Kodak 305mm Portrait lens, or the Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus. I'm curious if anyone is going to bid the 800 bucks on it. They are pretty lenses.

yes it IS pricy! but the cooke achromatic lens sold a while ago went for more as far as I remember.. this looks similar(?)

Jim Galli
4-May-2010, 13:31
yes it IS pricy! but the cooke achromatic lens sold a while ago went for more as far as I remember.. this looks similar(?)

Yes, it's got everything. Brand recognition, rarity, performance.........but if you're going to buy it, we need to talk it DOWN, not up :D:D

Emil Schildt
4-May-2010, 14:35
Yes, it's got everything. Brand recognition, rarity, performance.........but if you're going to buy it, we need to talk it DOWN, not up :D:D

:o but how....?

I am famous here for buying really high and then selling stupidly low....:rolleyes:

CCHarrison
4-May-2010, 14:41
Yes, its the Dallmeyer Soft Focus Lens and will be in my next article. I be it will sell for well over the $ 799 starting price. Attached is an article sent by a fellow LFF'er, Wim.

Dan

Emil Schildt
4-May-2010, 14:45
Yes, its the Dallmeyer Soft Focus Lens and will be in my next article. I will be it sells for well over the $ 799 starting price. Attached is an article sent by a fellow LFF'er, Wim.

Dan

;-)
I love they call it a dallYmeyer in the headline....:D

CCHarrison
4-May-2010, 14:59
An interesting SF lens auction just happened here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300423793517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Its a small Eidoscope (made for movie cameras) that went for $ 600....the small sizes are much more rare than the larger sizes...

Dan

Jim Galli
4-May-2010, 15:18

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300423793517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Its a small Eidoscope (made for movie cameras) that went for $ 600....the small sizes are much more rare than the larger sizes...

Dan

I have one in shutter exactly as shown in the Vade Mecum. Pics done with it are here.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/150Eidy/150Eidoscop.html

CCHarrison
4-May-2010, 15:22
Nice photos Jim.

As you probably know, most Soft Focus lenses post 1910 or so, were produced for movie cameras in addition to photographic cameras. Also, many were made in smaller sizes to fit small plate cameras and SLR's ( notably Graflex cameras ).

Dan

Jim Galli
4-May-2010, 16:01
Nice photos Jim.

As you probably know, most Soft Focus lenses post 1910 or so, were produced for movie cameras in addition to photographic cameras. Also, many were made in smaller sizes to fit small plate cameras and SLR's ( notably Graflex cameras ).

Dan

Struss sort of led the charge on the soft focus / cine's. The little Eidoscop that I have was in a factory shutter so I've assumed it was intended for Quarter plate / 5X4. It's prominent on the "Not For Sale" ever list.

CCHarrison
4-May-2010, 16:24
Yup, Struss did sell his lenses for Cine work and he was using his own, homemade SF lenses as early as 1909 - but he didnt begin selling his Pictorial Lens to the masses until 1915 - while Goerz actually had their Kino Hypar on the market a few years earlier (1912). Interestingly, the Kino Hypar is rather easy to find compared to the non-cine Hypar's.

Here's one on ebay now: http://cgi.ebay.com/Goerz-Berlin-Kino-Hypar-3-5-5cm-/350340066858?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item5191e52e2a

Would probably make a nice SF lens for APS-C or 4/3rds (although I am not sure of coverage )

Dan

8x10 user
4-May-2010, 17:39
Of course the largest one is the rarest of them all.

Dan

Emil Schildt
5-May-2010, 14:06
Yes, its the Dallmeyer Soft Focus Lens and will be in my next article. I be it will sell for well over the $ 799 starting price. Attached is an article sent by a fellow LFF'er, Wim.

Dan

:rolleyes: well - you was wrong this time. It didn't sell....

(I was thinking of it....)

CCHarrison
5-May-2010, 17:09
I am shocked... run-of-the-mill Darlot Petzvals and some common SF lenses are getting $ 600-800 fairly regularly....this lens is far more scarce and collectible.... I bet if the auction didnt start out at $ 799, it would have sold. I contacted the seller and made an offer after the auction ended....

Best,
Dan

CCHarrison
7-May-2010, 03:44
I called the seller ( Quality Camera ) and the lens sold for $ 795.... in today's market that was a good deal for such a scarce lens...

Dan