View Full Version : Tape for film holder loading flap

Daniel Wong
12-Dec-1997, 23:22
Does anyone know where to get replacement black tape for the loading flaps of large format film holders?

Black paper tape and cloth tape just doesn't inspire enough confidence in me to risk a shoot with it.

Ron Hughes
10-Feb-1998, 14:31
Have you tried carpet tape?

Tony Doucet
13-Mar-1998, 19:12
Gaffer's tape might also work. It's black, matte, and available from larger pho to shops.

Stuart Goldstein
13-Mar-1998, 21:45
When I bought gaffers tape (not duct tape) in the late 80's, I remember that I h ad to buy this large roll of tape and that it cost something like $35 (or more). I'm not sure you want to buy a full roll to tape up a handful of film holders.

What about duct tape, which is much less expensive and available in hardware sto res? Or even a call to 3M to find out what kinds of specialty tapes they make (o r which ones give the greatest security).

Rob "John Henry" Rothman
16-Mar-1998, 11:06
I'm not sure that gaffer tape would be a good choice. The roll that I have (fro m Calumet) is black on the outside, but the inner (adhesive) side is light gray.

Ron Squires
26-Mar-1998, 01:10
The tape that I have used with good results is "Dennison's" gummed cloth mending tape. This tape is made for mending book covers and alike. The no. 4 size is 3/ 4in. wide and comes in black. The tape must be wetted for use, if you cut it to length and prefold it before wetting it can be put on right over the old tape. C heck art supply outlets or larger craft shops. Or if there are still there you m ight try contacting the Dennison Mfg. Co. in Framingham Mass.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
4-Dec-1998, 02:25
3M used to make a tape for repairing enlarger bellows. As I recall it was about 1/2 or 1/4 wide and black on both sides. It didn't have the thickness and strength of gaff tape, but its alleged purpose was to prevent light leaks. The core of the roll I have left is labeled "core series 2-0300" Scotch Brand Tape 3M. I'd swear I saw it listed in a catalog somewhere. If I find it I'll repost.

On a related note, I have successfully "patched" leaky darkslides with electricians tape.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
4-Dec-1998, 02:31
O.K., thought I'd remember. NOT that I advocate using these guys, but Porter's of Iowa 1-800 553 2001 sells "Black Photographic Tape" a 1/2" by 60 yard roll goes for 8.95 + S. & H. Don't know how good it is though.