PDA

View Full Version : Need a 135mm enlarger lens with 1/3 stops

Steve Wright
2-May-2010, 14:13
Which of the myriad 135 mm enlarging lenses out there has 1/3 stop clicks? Thanks!!
Steve

Allen in Montreal
2-May-2010, 17:42
Sadly, not the bigger Rodenstock.
I love the look and the feel of the Rodagons, but they do not even have half stop clicks. An oversight in design imho. My Apo Rodagon 80 (which is what got me hooked on Rodagons) does have half stop clicks.

Maybe Bob S can outline which and why they do or do not have half stop clicks.

Eric Rose
2-May-2010, 18:23
If you need that kind of precision I would tend to modify my exposure time rather than relying on click stops. Just my 2c.

Donald Miller
2-May-2010, 21:14
If you need that kind of precision I would tend to modify my exposure time rather than relying on click stops. Just my 2c.

I agree with Eric on this. Time adjustments can be more precise than aperture adjustments when it comes to enlarging.

erie patsellis
2-May-2010, 21:29
If you're using a color analyzer and need to hit a target, the Rodenstock lenses allow you to defeat the detents for this very reason.

ic-racer
2-May-2010, 22:31
I have 13 enlarging lenses of all types and have sold a few others. None have 1/3 stops. All have whole stop or half stop detents and some have a no-detent option.

BetterSense
2-May-2010, 22:55
My Fuji enlarging lens has no detents at all.

archer
3-May-2010, 00:41
Allen;
My 135mm Rodagon has half click stops.

Allen in Montreal
3-May-2010, 04:39
Allen;
My 135mm Rodagon has half click stops.

I guess they stop at 135. Good to know, I just bought a 105 so I assume it will also have 1/2 stop detends.

My 150,180 and 210 Rodagons do not have half stops.

Steve:

After reading Archer's post,
I check my Componon-s 135 and it does has half stop.

Bob Salomon
3-May-2010, 06:20
Like all other Rodagon, Apo-Rodagon, Apo-Rodagon-N and Rodagon-WA lenses the 135mm Rodagon has half stops plus a lever to disengage the click stops. Most lab workers needing fine aperture control are using a meter or an analyzer and using dis-engaged clickstops so they can most precisely control the exposure. Also, the 135mm Rodagon has Rodenstock's pre-set aperture mechanism and their illuminated aperture feature.

Allen in Montreal
3-May-2010, 06:26
Good morning Bob,

Most of my larger Rodagons do not have half stop detends, only at the full stop.
Does this date them to certain period?
As an example, my Rodagon WA 120 bears the serial 10523467 and has no half stop setting.

thank you,
Allen

Bob Salomon
3-May-2010, 07:22
Good morning Bob,

Most of my larger Rodagons do not have half stop detends, only at the full stop.
Does this date them to certain period?
As an example, my Rodagon WA 120 bears the serial 10523467 and has no half stop setting.

thank you,
Allen

1984 so it might not have them if it is that old.

Steve Wright
3-May-2010, 17:56
Thanks! Learned a lot. What I need 1/2 stops for is making unsharp masks. I recently took a class with Greg Gallagher and he uses a (?Schneider) enlarging lens which has 1/3 stops. It makes it much easier for those short exposures when making the USM negative...
I suspect that the Rodagon may be the way for me to go especially since Bob has been most helpful!
Steve

Filmnut
3-May-2010, 18:30
I worked in the professional lab field for thirty years, and must of worked with hundreds of lenses, but I never remember one that had 1/3 click stops.
After the advent of the various enlarging metering systems, we often had lenses modified to remove the click stops, so that we adjust the aperture to the meter setting more accurately. The newer(mid 80's and up, I think) lenses often had a push/pull diaphram so you have it with, or without click stops quite easily.
The metering we did was down to 1/30th of a stop.
Keith

Steve Wright
5-May-2010, 08:24
Ordered a new Rodagon 135 today. Problem solved!! Thanks.
Steve

Allen in Montreal
6-May-2010, 08:43
Rodagons are really nice, a little contrastier than the componon-s,
I really love them, I don't doubt that you will be very happy. :)