PDA

View Full Version : Scanners

Steve Clark
2-Apr-2002, 10:28
In order to save valuable darkroom time, I am interested in using a flatbed scan ner to scan pages of negatives, {35mm thru 5x7} for proofs and work prints. What will it take to do this without investing a lot of money. The prints need to be good enough to decide if the negative is worth the time in the darkroom. Thanks,Steve

Noshir Patel
2-Apr-2002, 10:48
I own an Epson 2450 Photo which is good enough to do a nice 24x20 color print from a 4x5 original transparency. I expect it could do a decent (maybe slightly soft) 8x10 from 35mm, but I haven't tried it since I have a Nikon Coolscan 4000ED for 35mm. Costs around $400. If sharpness isn't a big issue for your test prints from 35mm, Epson has lower resolution versions that are otherwise fairly similar from what I understand (haven't used them personally). On any of these Epson "Photo" scanner models, I would consider the true resolution to be half the stated resolution (so I consider the supposedly 2400 dpi scanner I have to be a 1200 dpi scanner effectively). There are technical reasons for this that I won't go into... Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Pete Caluori
2-Apr-2002, 12:06
Greetings,

I prefer traditional methods, but recently started experimenting with digital for the same reasons you mentioned. After reading many positive comments, I purchase the Epson 2450 and can second the previous posters response. If you search around on the WEB you can find prices as low as $339.

Regards,

Rainer
2-Apr-2002, 18:13
really interesting this thing with the half resolution........i am planning to buy such an epson too, but to scan my 6x18cm panorama shots, which cant do my polaroid ultra45 scanner. is this resolution thing the reason a.e. for the high price of such an 4x5" scanner as my polaroid is, he makes 2500 dpi and i believe that they are real 2500 dpi.....for such aprice the scanner has........? i really was thinking to sell him if the difference between the epson is so little as epson describe his scanner from the data sheet.....

David F. Stein
3-Apr-2002, 00:52
Why this fixation on the Epson 2540, albeit a fine product. For about $600-700, maybe a bit more, you can get a quality UMax Powerlook III or Linocolor 1400-professional level scanner with a full 8x10 transparency bed. Now, you can scan a whole sheet of negs, not to mention prepping several medium format, even 4x5 negs at a time. These are value priced right now because of the higher dpi scanners that have come out-but with hardware 1200 you can still do a lot. Even an old Epson Expression scanner that has 8x10 transparency area may be better suited to what you need. Check the Epson Refurbished and Clearance Sale page or someone like www.refurbdepot.com. GOOD LUCK and COMPARISION SHOP.

agordo
4-Apr-2002, 10:06
I also use the Epson 2450 for scanning all negatives. It's a great device. I'v been using digital output, however. Why not go all the way? I've had negatives made from scans and made darkroom prints of the digital image. Side by side, the digital print( using the Cone hextone inks and software) looks much better.

Louis Jensen
4-Apr-2002, 23:59
The adds for the 2450 claim it has a 4x9 transparancy adaptor. Is this correct or is it an 8x10 adaptor?

Louis

Michael Feldman
5-Apr-2002, 00:16
According to the Epson web site, it's 4" x 9". They repeated this spec several times, so it's probably correct. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.jsp

Gary Meader
5-Apr-2002, 22:19
I agree that you shouldn't buy something that you need TODAY. Buy a scanner with the idea in mind that your needs will change very quickly. In other words; buy for TOMORROW. The UMAX is a great choice. No doubt you'll be doing transparencies soon.

Dean Cookson
5-Apr-2002, 23:17
It's really 4x9.