PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika Classic and 3000

newmoon2night
27-Apr-2010, 21:31
Can anyone tell me please, is there any difference between the Classic and 3000, apart from the Classic coming with the viewfinder, and the 3000 not?
Presumably you can use buy a viewfinder and add it to the 3000?
I'll take the opportunity to add a second question - do standard size screens fit in Technika's? I'm thinking of Maxwell screens which are 126mm x 100.5mm.
Thanks.

Brian Ellis
27-Apr-2010, 22:00
I bought a Maxwell screen for my Master Technika. It fit just fine. Bill Maxwell has been doing this for a long time, he knows the correct size for a Master Technika.

I've never owned a 3000 so I can't give you all the differences. The big one, I thought, was the ability of the 3000 to handle lenses as wide as something like 47mm without any auxiliary gear. The Master can only handle lenses shorter than 75mm by adding the wide angle focusing device and they're very expensive if bought new.

douglas antonio
27-Apr-2010, 22:07
there is a major difference between the two models:
the classic is able to take lenses down to 72 mm without an additional wide angle device. and the widest lens with the device is 58 mm f i am not mistaken. the 3000 can take lenses down to 38 mm! it has an integrated wide angle track that allows you to focus precisely with an external knob. this was much more difficult with the internal focussing system of the 2000. more information can be found on linhofs website.

there is no way of retrofitting the rangefinder to the 3000 as there is no place for the mechanism afaik.

the 3000 unfolds its capabiltiesespecially in wide angle situations. i believe it has an extra strut position – the fourth - for the dropbed over the mt classic (3) to avoid the bed to obstruct in vertical shot position with extreme wide angles.

i cannot comment on your second question. bill maxwell has all the specified screens for different cameras. so just get in touch via email and ask him yourself. he hasn't got an own website. there is an "unofficial" site called "mattclara".

bill will help you for sure. i have a screen for a rolleiflex which is incredible.

hope this helps.

newmoon2night
28-Apr-2010, 11:53
Thanks Brian and Douglas for the detailed replies.
I will email Bill Maxwell, but already have his screen, so will check if it's the same size as the one he does for the Technika.
I haven't got a Technika yet, but have found a Classic that looks very nice.

Are Technika's quite straight forward (compared to a non folding wooden camera) to use?

seabird
28-Apr-2010, 13:29
Are Technika's quite straight forward (compared to a non folding wooden camera) to use?

I've never used a wooden field camera so cant compare, but as a Tech IV user I can confirm that Technikas are quite straightforward to use if you know what you are doing.

Reading the manual is mandatory if you are a Technika newbie. There are a few "tricks" that are not immediately apparent from casual observation (eg how to tilt the front lens panel). While they are legendary for their toughness, they are still pieces of precision engineering that dont suffer fools gladly. You can damage them if you dont know what you are doing and I gather some fixes (eg front rise ratchet mechanism) can be expensive to repair.

Having said that, if you approach the camera armed with the requisite knowledge and a little bit of respect, then you'll be rewarded with a lifetime's use and enjoyment.

Cheers

Bob Salomon
28-Apr-2010, 14:13
The 2000 and 3000 take lenses down to 35mm. Additionally the back on the 3000 comes completly off and can be replaced with the shift adapter. Older models can be modified if they have the fixed back.
Also, the Wide Angle Focusing Device for the MT and V and IV models has been out of production for several years now. If you want to use 65mm and shorter lenses they now make special helical focusing mounts for each of the lenses. These are not required on a 2000 or 3000 as you noted.

there is a major difference between the two models:
the classic is able to take lenses down to 72 mm without an additional wide angle device. and the widest lens with the device is 58 mm f i am not mistaken. the 3000 can take lenses down to 38 mm! it has an integrated wide angle track that allows you to focus precisely with an external knob. this was much more difficult with the internal focussing system of the 2000. more information can be found on linhofs website.

there is no way of retrofitting the rangefinder to the 3000 as there is no place for the mechanism afaik.

the 3000 unfolds its capabiltiesespecially in wide angle situations. i believe it has an extra strut position – the fourth - for the dropbed over the mt classic (3) to avoid the bed to obstruct in vertical shot position with extreme wide angles.

i cannot comment on your second question. bill maxwell has all the specified screens for different cameras. so just get in touch via email and ask him yourself. he hasn't got an own website. there is an "unofficial" site called "mattclara".

bill will help you for sure. i have a screen for a rolleiflex which is incredible.

hope this helps.

newmoon2night
28-Apr-2010, 14:30
I've never used a wooden field camera so cant compare, but as a Tech IV user I can confirm that Technikas are quite straightforward to use if you know what you are doing.

Reading the manual is mandatory if you are a Technika newbie. There are a few "tricks" that are not immediately apparent from casual observation (eg how to tilt the front lens panel). While they are legendary for their toughness, they are still pieces of precision engineering that dont suffer fools gladly. You can damage them if you dont know what you are doing and I gather some fixes (eg front rise ratchet mechanism) can be expensive to repair.

Having said that, if you approach the camera armed with the requisite knowledge and a little bit of respect, then you'll be rewarded with a lifetime's use and enjoyment.

Cheers

Thanks Seabird. You've answered one of the questions I didn't like to ask - is there a manual! Most (if not all) wood LF cameras don't come with any manual, and I know the Technika I'm interested in hasn't got a manual either. I've just Googled it and come up with this http://www.linhof.de/download_e/MasterTechnika_classic_2000_e.pdf

Brian Ellis
29-Apr-2010, 08:15
. . . Are Technika's quite straight forward (compared to a non folding wooden camera) to use?

My guess is that there's a little more to using any folding camera - wood or metal - than a non-folder but I've never used a non-folder so I can't compare them. Fortunately for you, Linhof is one of the few LF camera manufacturers that provides a real "manual" similar to what you used to get with a 35mm camera. Just get a manual and you won't have any problem. And once you get used to them Technikas are a joy to use - for me at least.

seabird
29-Apr-2010, 13:44
Thanks Seabird. You've answered one of the questions I didn't like to ask - is there a manual! ... I've just Googled it and come up with this http://www.linhof.de/download_e/MasterTechnika_classic_2000_e.pdf

No problem. Dont be afraid of asking questions! With the exception of a few curmudgeons you'll find most people on this site are only too willing to share their knowledge and help.

From memory there is also a Tech IV manual under the "camera reviews" section on the front page of this site.

Cheers and best of luck