PDA

View Full Version : Where did 4x5 Velvia Sheet Film go ?

MITCH FALK
26-Apr-2010, 10:38
Just went to B&H web site to order a couple of boxes of 4x5 Velvia 50 slide sheet film,
and its nowhere on the web site.

Did they discontinue making it ?

arunrajmohan
26-Apr-2010, 11:02
Think it was discontinued as far back as 2006. However lots of places had stock till very recently. Guess Fuji wanted us to Velvia 100s.

Arun

MITCH FALK
26-Apr-2010, 11:10
I just bought a box 2 weeks ago at B&H with a 2011 expiration date.

arunrajmohan
26-Apr-2010, 11:17
Last time I bought it was in November 2009 either from B&H or Calumet. I believe Calumet still has some in stock, so does Freestyle. However once they run out of stock, they may never ever be able to stock it again.

Arun

timparkin
26-Apr-2010, 14:37
Fuji are changing over from 10 sheet to 20 sheet boxes and in typical Fuji fashion have not released the 20 sheet boxes before the 10 sheets run out. :-)

MITCH FALK
26-Apr-2010, 14:39
Thank You

Daniel Stone
26-Apr-2010, 23:01
what about the 50 sheet boxes? they gone now too?

-Dan

Jfnphotography
27-Apr-2010, 05:16
I just picked up a box of 10 Velvia 50 4x5 I could not fine the 100 ASA evey place I went said it's coming in soon.

timparkin
27-Apr-2010, 11:00
what about the 50 sheet boxes? they gone now too?

-Dan

I believe so.. sad I know

MumbleyJoe
30-Apr-2010, 14:48
I had a bit of a panic attack this week myself as I couldn't find any either. Someone on Flickr pointed me here:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php

I was still able to place an order yesterday, so they may still have some. I have a couple planned photo-trips in the near future and bought a little extra in case the boxes of 20 take a while longer to come out.

gnuyork
3-May-2010, 07:29
I too just purchased some Velvia about 3 weeks ago form B&H. I had a hard time finding boxes of 50 sheets, so I just ordered several of the 10 sheet boxes.

shorst
5-May-2010, 14:31
I had a conversation today with Fujifilm USA headquarters regarding this issue. As of 5/5/10, there are 2500 individual boxes of Velvia RVP50 4x5 10 sheet available for sale in Fuji's warehouse. All it would take to access these boxes is for a retailer to place an order for them. Once these boxes are sold, there will be no more 10 sheet boxes available in the future. Fuji has changed to 20 sheet boxes for this particular product. Fujifilm USA has placed an order for 20 sheet boxes from Japan, but these are not expected to arrive until August, 2010.

The fact that BH Photo and Adorama have no stock of Velvia RVP50 4x5 and are negative about its availability has nothing to do with its actual availability. Rather, it probably has to do with their failure, or unwillingness, to order the product from Fujifilm. Perhaps they are waiting until the 20 sheet boxes are available to order more product.

In the meantime, Badger Graphic in Wisconsin and Unique Photo in New Jersey are continuing to order the available 10 sheet boxes.

mcfactor
11-May-2010, 10:02
Ok... what about the availability of their negative sheet film? FujiPro 160s (8x10) seems to be out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know when the newly updated boxes will be in stock. I find it hard to believe that fuji would leave us dry for three months.

David Aimone
11-May-2010, 10:54
Ok... what about the availability of their negative sheet film? FujiPro 160s (8x10) seems to be out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know when the newly updated boxes will be in stock. I find it hard to believe that fuji would leave us dry for three months.

Freestyle photo has velvia and pro160...

Ben Syverson
11-May-2010, 10:54
FujiPro 160s (8x10) seems to be out of stock everywhere.
No, it's discontinued.

Fuji no longer makes C41 sheet film. It's a sad day.

They also completely discontinued 160S and 160C in every size.

David Aimone
11-May-2010, 10:55
sorry, they have only 4x5

Ben Syverson
11-May-2010, 11:41
...and that's only what they have in stock. If you want it in 4x5, buy it now. After that, it's gone.

mcfactor
11-May-2010, 12:51
I dont think that is true. Fuji sent out a press release saying that they are revamping their c-41 line. NOT discontinuing it. I was wondering if anyone had any info about the timeline for that. Or any legitmate evdience that they were discontinuing it.

Ben Syverson
11-May-2010, 13:15
Do you have a link for that press release?

It would be very strange for them to be "revamping" their line by discontinuing a huge range of products before the new stuff is available to order.

mcfactor
11-May-2010, 20:03
Here is the link I found:

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/fujifilm_retires_three_films/

But if anyone has any more reliable info, I would love to hear it

douglas gove
12-May-2010, 11:37
I had a bit of a panic attack this week myself as I couldn't find any either. Someone on Flickr pointed me here:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php

I was still able to place an order yesterday, so they may still have some. I have a couple planned photo-trips in the near future and bought a little extra in case the boxes of 20 take a while longer to come out.
i was just told that the 20 sheet boxes of rvp 50 should be available next week for freestyle...perhaps FUJI could keep us informed on their website about changes in their product lines so us 30+ year loyalists can sleep easier? just a thought doug

mcfactor
13-May-2010, 12:31
Ok here is the deal: I have it from a very reliable source (a buyer at one of the large camera stores) that fuji has not stopped making c-41 film, but rather pared back their manufacturing and will be packaging film in 20 sheet boxes. However, the new packages will not be available until June, so until then we will have to use kodak.

Greg Gibbons
14-May-2010, 08:55
It's time to give Ektar a try. Seriously. If Fuji doesn't want to service their customers any better than this, just try Ektar. It's a beautiful, saturated film, with finer grain than Velvia and better dynamic range. You might find you don't miss Velvia a bit.

Bob McCarthy
14-May-2010, 09:14
I elected to try C41 film alongside E6 this season on the Texas Hill country spring flower shoot. I shot E6 (Provia, Velvia) and C41 (Kodak 160NC and Ektar).

Waiting Tempe to return film. The E6 processing equipment is down and holding up the order. Sure hope my film is not the first in the soup after the repair!!!

I too see Ektar becoming a mainstay in my film selection if it works out as I hope. This is the first time I've used it so it may be enlightening.

Bob

Lachlan 717
14-May-2010, 13:20
If Fuji doesn't want to service their customers any better than this, just try Ektar. .

Seriously, Greg, I think you're making mountain out of a mole hill.

There's a couple of weeks' delay whilst they change over their packaging. To, I might add, a much better product (with 20, not 10 sheets).

Perhaps, 20 years ago when all pros basically used film, this would be an issue. Now it is an inconvenience for a small minority of the camera world.

Keep it in perspective...

Thalmees
20-May-2010, 16:37
Fuji are changing over from 10 sheet to 20 sheet boxes and in typical Fuji fashion have not released the 20 sheet boxes before the 10 sheets run out. :-)
Thanks so much.

MumbleyJoe
12-Jul-2010, 14:25
My local shop (Glazer's Camera, in Seattle, WA) ran out of the 10-sheet boxes a while back. They had a notice posted in their film section that the 10s and 50s were being discontinued and replaced with the 20s (as we all know by now).

They were given the new SKU for the 20s but of course none were delivered because FUJI is waiting until the 10s run out to ship 20s. It seems like there was a miscommunication between FUJI and retailers. FUJI seemed to say "we're done with 10s and 50s, switch over to the SKU for the 20s". Nobody ordered the 10s and 50s anymore, but FUJI won't ship the 20s that have been ordered instead. Glazers figured this out and went back to ordering the original SKUs (at least for the 10s). Fortunately that meant they got some back in stock, while my traditional online sources (B&H, Adorama) have not (Freestyle came to the rescue too).

None of this helps of course, but that's what I've picked up on.

Now, it's been another couple months and the last I checked it still seems like they're not shipping the 20s. Does anyone know if this is true, or have they been spotted out in the wild yet?

douglas gove
13-Jul-2010, 10:17
mumbley...i picked up six 10 sheeters a couple of weeks ago at glazers and four on saturday...the people there seem to be as much in the dark as we are...have not heard of anyone who has held a "new" twenty sheeter...it boggles the mind that fuji can produce such fine sheet films and produce such poor customer relations...doug

MumbleyJoe
15-Jul-2010, 14:35
Curse you Doug!

I bought 2 10s of Velvia a couple weeks ago, and yesterday they were out again - seems you got the last of it! ;-) (I joke, I picked up some Provia instead, and don't know exactly what you bought)

I've gotten some different messages at Glazers depending on who I talked to. At this point I'll just hope that by the time I use up what I have the 20s are out at last.

douglas gove
15-Jul-2010, 14:53
mumbley...it was the good stuff, RVP 50...i have call me if you get requests in all over, i'll let you know if i get any responses...good hunting...and sorry...doug

Dave Jeffery
15-Jul-2010, 17:18
I called Samy's camera and was told that Quickloads are gone and that they were almost all out of the 4x5 Fiji films but there may be a few boxes left at some of the stores.

I'm glad I stocked up on Quickloads when I did.

roteague
23-Aug-2010, 08:10
Just a followup on this.

I was able to order several boxes of Velvia 50 Quick Loads yesterday from B&H, but they had no other Velvia 50 available in sheet film. I got some Ektar 100 to supplement the Velvia for an upcoming trip, but prefer Velvia 50 of course.

I prefer the Quick Loads, but I don't have big problem with using cut sheet, if I can get it. I know that Fuji has said it would discontinue the 50 sheet boxes, and ship 20 sheet boxes instead, which is fine, but even that isn't available.

Most of the usual places I checked for Velvia 50 either didn't list it, or it was out of stock. I'd always hoped to be able to continue shooting that which I love, throughout the rest of my lifespan, but I'm beginning to wonder. I can't stand the thought of having to shoot digital ...

roteague
24-Aug-2010, 23:03
According to B&H the 20 sheet boxes of Velvia were due in June, but they still have no word when it will actually arrive.

douglas gove
3-Sep-2010, 00:05
just purchased 3 "new" 20 sheet boxes from jeff at badger

Pat Kearns
3-Sep-2010, 10:30
The B&H website shows Velvia 50 & 100 in stock now. I ordered a box of the Velvia 100, 20 sheet quickload from B&H this past Monday, UPS tracking shows it will be delivered today.

Linhof
12-Sep-2010, 06:00
How about 8x10" Velvia 50?

John NYC
12-Sep-2010, 09:24
How about 8x10" Velvia 50?

That seems to be the only color negative or chrome film from Fuji that Badger has in stock.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2361

They have 160S color neg film as "discontinued by Fuji" and the other Fuji chrome films as "out of stock."

I'm sure there are some older supplies of various Fuji color film elsewhere, but it does appear to the casual observer at least that Fuji is, at best, going to become a very limited player in 8x10 in the U.S.

Of course, don't expect Fuji to actually explain their plans. They are arguably the worst company at PR that has ever existed.

John NYC
12-Sep-2010, 15:45
That seems to be the only color negative or chrome film from Fuji that Badger has in stock.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2361

They have 160S color neg film as "discontinued by Fuji" and the other Fuji chrome films as "out of stock."

I'm sure there are some older supplies of various Fuji color film elsewhere, but it does appear to the casual observer at least that Fuji is, at best, going to become a very limited player in 8x10 in the U.S.

Of course, don't expect Fuji to actually explain their plans. They are arguably the worst company at PR that has ever existed.

Just a follow up...

FWIW, just looked on the fujifilmusa.com website, and they only list these two films as being available in 8x10:

Velvia 100 (not Velvia 100F)
T64

However, this probably doesn't mean anything since they still list Acros 4x5 Quickloads as being available, which we all know from previous rumors have been discontinued. Typical Fuji lack of understandable communication in every regard.

douglas gove
12-Sep-2010, 15:57
touche'