PDA

View Full Version : OMG, Light leak?!

Rory_5244
26-Apr-2010, 09:35
I took out my lightly used AS 8x10 with Fidelity holder for a midday shot and when I develop the film I get this:

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/Snoflo/lightleak1.jpg

Are those light leaks just below the top corners?! Could it be the holder? How horrid! Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Gem Singer
26-Apr-2010, 09:41
Yep!

Rory_5244
26-Apr-2010, 10:00
:( Thanks Gem.

FWIW, I put a lit flashlight into the camera with the holder loaded and turned out the lights in a blacked-out room: no light emitted from the camera anywhere.

Walter Calahan
26-Apr-2010, 10:12
Holder might not have seated properly for this shot. Camera and holder could be fine if you rushed the shot by not checking holder's position.

Sal Santamaura
26-Apr-2010, 10:17
I took out my lightly used AS 8x10 with Fidelity holder for a midday shot and when I develop the film I get...light leaks just below the top corners?! Could it be the holder? How horrid! Oh dear oh dear oh dear.Did you have your dark cloth over the holder when removing the dark slide, making the exposure and replacing the dark slide? If not, those leaks are normal and predictable.

It was mid-day and your shot is vertical. The sun was high, shining down on your holder's dark slide slots. Fidelity holders have a single light trap. It is necessary to afford the extra protection I described using your dark cloth in this situation.

Only holders with double light traps (e.g. Chamonix) can be used in the orientation and conditions you experienced without concern.

ic-racer
Odd. Its coming up from the bottom. How is the seal or trap between the camera standard and the rotated back?

Rory_5244
Thanks Walter, I'll do a little experiment before I rush out and buy a scarily priced Toyo holder.

Rory_5244
26-Apr-2010, 10:24
Hi Sal, thank you for that. Yes, I keep the holder covered by the dark cloth. Somehow this leak comes from the bottom.

Hi ic, the felt area at the bottom of the standard seems okay (the camera is practically brand new) and no light seems to be leaking out from the inside of the camera when I tried the flashlight test. Strange but I always feel the bottom of the holder to make sure it is seated well. The holder itself was exposed to some strong rays, I guess, before loading into the camera.

Gem Singer
26-Apr-2010, 10:42
Could have even happened during, or before you loaded the film into the film holder.

I can see a small flash of light in the upper left corner of the print. Looks like it is in the rebate area.

Rory_5244
26-Apr-2010, 11:10
I loaded the film inside a Harrison tent. Two other sheets loaded at the same time in my other holder turned out fine and one of the exposures from the unaffected holder was done in midday sun as well.

Thebes
26-Apr-2010, 11:22
I wonder if there might be a flaw to the darkslide that lets light around it near the end at the sides. If it were loose, for example, a tiny bit too small and wobbled while the closed holder was exposed to light, that might explain this. Or, perhaps the dark slide is not original and as such is a bit narrow?

Rory_5244
26-Apr-2010, 12:10
Maybe, Thebes. I usually use a rubber band to make sure the darkslide doesn't budge but I didn't use it that day (it burst and didn't have another one at the time.)

Sal Santamaura
26-Apr-2010, 12:31
Hi Sal, thank you for that. Yes, I keep the holder covered by the dark cloth. Somehow this leak comes from the bottom...Oops -- shouldn't post in a hurry when rushing off to an appointment. :(

Oh well, perhaps what I wrote will be of value to someone with holder leaks from the other end. :)

Rory_5244
26-Apr-2010, 13:11
Haha, no, no: very useful advice and I'm looking at the Chamonix holder you mentioned. Thanks!

al olson
26-Apr-2010, 14:46
I agree with Mr. Calahan. It looks as though the holder was not seated properly. The top edge (the flap end) is in shadow and shielded from the light source.

I don't think it is the fault of the holder, but likely caused because the holder was not pushed all the way in. I have holders that catch on the lip so that it feels like they are seated properly when they are not. I have learned to check before I pull the dark slide.

Or else in some way you brushed against the holder/ground glass while the dark slide was removed. Whatever the cause, it was obviously a brief exposure.

Rory_5244
26-Apr-2010, 15:28
Thanks Al. I'll review my technique with a couple test shots tomorrow.

Rory_5244
5-May-2010, 22:05
Hello again everybody. Turns out the holder does have a leak which I partially remedied with some black tape. I bought a Chamonix 8x10 holder after Sal brought it up. It cost a lot but light leaks drive me batty! BTW, have you guys/girls seen a Chamonix holder before? It's gorgeous! I know a film holder is not exactly high up on the list of things that make you go "ah" but wow. It sure makes my Fidelity holders look like I fished them out of a dump. Oh, it's noticeably lighter than the Fidelity holders. Now all it has left to do is NOT LEAK.