PDA

View Full Version : About Apo Sironar S lens

Songyun
25-Apr-2010, 20:01
I was looking at my lens today, and found a few of my sironar s lens has like some tiny spot on the glass inside the front element. Is that common? It does appear on more than one of the sironar s lens I have.

Daniel Stone
26-Apr-2010, 22:41
is it around the edges?

-Dan

jeroldharter
26-Apr-2010, 22:44
They are all defective. I will take them off your hands for $25 each.

mdm
26-Apr-2010, 23:37
I think they are like broken and you should like buy some like new ones. Its just like money like anyway.

Is this an APUG 'I have a dangle for my dongle and it is bigger than yours' post or are you serious?

David

Steve Hamley
27-Apr-2010, 03:45
Have you removed the cell and cleaned the inside surface?

Cheers, Steve

Peter K
27-Apr-2010, 04:46
I was looking at my lens today, and found a few of my sironar s lens has like some tiny spot on the glass inside the front element. Is that common? It does appear on more than one of the sironar s lens I have.
Some optical glasses cannot made without tiny bubbles, without a loupe only visible as spots. Such bubbles are without any influence on the quality of the lens.

8x10 user
27-Apr-2010, 07:31
If you feel confident enough you can try to clean it otherwise I'd just shoot with it as it is. Shouldn't cause a problem unless spots are several mm long or high in frequency.

Songyun
27-Apr-2010, 09:09
Some optical glasses cannot made without tiny bubbles, without a loupe only visible as spots. Such bubbles are without any influence on the quality of the lens.

I have the Apo Sironar N lens too, which is very clear. My guess it might be the ED glass that Sironar S is using caused those bubble?
It looks like the second element in the front cell, so it has nothing to do with surface cleaning.

Hugo Zhang
27-Apr-2010, 10:06
I checked and did not see any spots in my 210mm S lens from 10 years ago.

Armin Seeholzer
27-Apr-2010, 10:31
My 240 S is also free of it and deadly sharp!
But I do not luck to exatly as long its my sharpest lens;--)))

Cheers Armin

GPS
27-Apr-2010, 10:35

They all have spots. That's why they are named Sironar S(pot) lenses... Some even say it stays for Sironar Sweet Spot lenses... Just ask Bob about it... (If you want Sironar lenses without a spot go for the Sironar N(o spot) lenses...)

Steve Barber
27-Apr-2010, 20:49
They all have spots. That's why they are named Sironar S(pot) lenses... Some even say it stays for Sironar Sweet Spot lenses... Just ask Bob about it... (If you want Sironar lenses without a spot go for the Sironar N(o spot) lenses...)

Touche

Armin Seeholzer
28-Apr-2010, 12:41
GPS you made my day;--))))