PDA

View Full Version : Drying 4x5 sheets w/o scratches

Robert Vigurs
25-Apr-2010, 08:02
After processing my 4x5 sheets, and washing, them, I dip them in a photoflo mix to help prevent spotting during dry time. I have been using what looks like tongs with sponge on each side to get rid of excess moisture before hanging. I noticed these can scratch the wet film. My darkroom is primitive with no drying booth. Is there a better way to get rid of this excess H20?

Gem Singer
25-Apr-2010, 08:29
Following a Photo Flo dip, there is no reason to wipe the water off of the film.

That's the reason for using a wetting agent. It allows the water to drain off without beading up and leaving spots.

Merely hang sheet film by the notched corner( in a dust free area) and the water will bead up at the opposite bottom corner. Remove the bead gently between your thumb and forefinger and allow the films to dry naturally.

vinny
25-Apr-2010, 08:48
yup, no need to touch the film.
I hang my film from binder clips.

sgelb
25-Apr-2010, 09:02
Merely hang sheet film by the notched corner( in a dust free area) and the water will bead up at the opposite bottom corner. Remove the bead gently between your thumb and forefinger and allow the films to dry naturally.

its a good idea to spray some water from a spritzer bottle in the area right before u hang to dry to remove excess airborn dust.

and for the little leftovers at the tip, just take a bunched paper towel and gently touch the tip of the film and the bubble/excess will drain right off.

Thebes
25-Apr-2010, 11:05
I've never squeegeed film. If I don't use photoflo I get drying spots and if I do I don't normally get any. I often touch the bottom corner's water bead on my films while they dry to let the water wick onto the back of my finger, this speeds drying of the bottom corner and discourages any water spot there.

I hang them with wood clothes pins, but these mar the rebate a bit. Do the binder clips mar it?

Paul Bujak
25-Apr-2010, 15:59
I use plastic clothes pins and have not noticed any markings. Ditto to all the other suggestions.

bobwysiwyg
25-Apr-2010, 17:11
There's always these, but ridiculously expensive new. I picked some up, forgot where, but they work very well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/25442-REG/Jobo_J3524_Sheet_film_clips_Pack.html

Eric Brody
25-Apr-2010, 18:05
I use a final rinse in distilled water, then hang the film up to drain. I never touch it after the final rinse.

Eric

David de Gruyl
25-Apr-2010, 19:23
If I use a hardening fixer, there is no marking on the film from clothespins. I do get marking without hardening agent.

I dry 4x5 by clipping one corner, allowing the water to drain to the opposite corner. I could not care less if there is a water mark in that corner (I don't print borders).

Photoflo reduces / eliminates spotting on the film.

Eric Brody
25-Apr-2010, 21:17
I use a final rinse in distilled water, then hang the film up to drain. I never touch it after the final rinse.

Eric

Dave Ludwig
25-Apr-2010, 23:32
I 'm with Eric - distilled water rinse and hang-em up. I'll reuse the water a few times then dump it. Never any spots

Michael Graves
26-Apr-2010, 03:33
Two things I've done in the past year that have made for immaculately clean negatives are these. I bagged Photoflo. A wetting agent called Triton X-114 mixed about two drops to a quart of distilled water makes the water just sheen right off. Secondly, I found a bunch of plastic clothes hangers on a string at one of the local dollar stores. The hangers work perfectly well for film and can grip a sheet of film firmly at the light-trap corner without impinging on the image.

Ken Neely
28-Apr-2010, 12:27
Re: Triton X-114, did you read the MSDS ? I'd be very careful if I were you. Not that you aren't, but the magic words for me were :

" The substance is toxic to blood, kidneys, liver.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage."

This was from either contact or ingestion.

I wanted to make sure you knew.

Ken N - Pomona Ca.

Michael Graves
28-Apr-2010, 12:56
I was aware of that. I use a laboratory pipette for measuring and rinse it throroughly when done, with a final swish in distilled water. There isn't a danger of contact in the scant quantities used.

Re: Triton X-114, did you read the MSDS ? I'd be very careful if I were you. Not that you aren't, but the magic words for me were :

" The substance is toxic to blood, kidneys, liver.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage."

This was from either contact or ingestion.

I wanted to make sure you knew.

Ken N - Pomona Ca.

domaz
28-Apr-2010, 13:31
I use the metal sheet film hangers usually used for development. They work great. No more marks from clips that put pressure on the film. I just use generic wetting agent and regular water, works fine- no spots. Distilled water may be better if you have hard water I suppose.

Andrew O'Neill
28-Apr-2010, 13:33
Put a bit of isopropyl alcohol in the final rinse/photo flo bath. Gets rid of micro bubbles and water evaporates faster off the surface of the film when hung. Do not wipe negs!