PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Camera Back Leads To Easier Holder Insertion

jim_2073
24-Feb-2002, 17:32
Just the samllest suggestion for wooden cameras. Inserting a holder into the bac k on my lovable but willowy burke and james 8x10 was getting increasingly diffic ult. I used furniture wax on the inside of the back and on the holders and now t hey slide in easily. I would think even candle wax will do the trick. Much less frustrating.

Alec Jones
24-Feb-2002, 20:15
Thanks, Jim. That worked GREAT for me! Takes a great mind to think of something so simple.

Wayne
24-Feb-2002, 20:43
Hmmmm. seems too easy to be true. Ive been lamenting the tightness of my old Ansco back lately, and more than once its helped ruin a carefully framed shot.

david clark
24-Feb-2002, 21:06
Hi Jim, I had the wax idea some time ago, tried it, and fould I got a lot of wax shavings. I had slicker results with Silicone Spray Lubricant. Best, David

Robert A. Zeichner
24-Feb-2002, 21:28
A friend recently suggested using crumpled up waxed paper to "lubricate" the dark slides on larger film holders. It seemed to work well for that purpose, perhaps it would do the trick for this application.

Garry Teeple
24-Feb-2002, 22:22
Give Johnson Paste Floor wax a try, I use it on the metal parts of my Shopsmith and it works great. No wax shavings either. I would rub a small amount into a cloth well and then rub it lightly on the parts.

Tom Keenan
24-Feb-2002, 22:28
Ken Hough is the guy that restores Deardorff cameras. He has said for some time that wooden cameras require maintenence just like cars. His recommendations are for Deardorff but should be applicable more widely. He says that Lemon Pledge can be used on the entire camera except the ground glass. Each year, the gear racks should be lubricated with LUBRIPLATE #630 brand grease. Lubriplate can be bought at a hardware store. Get the thickest, Like peanut butter. If you can not get Lubriplate use a thick white lithium grease. Wood to wood surfaces get waxed with a block of Candy making wax available at the grocery store.

Pete Andrews
25-Feb-2002, 09:12
A stub of candle rubbed over the sliding parts is the time-honoured 'lube' for wooden cameras.