PDA

View Full Version : Goerz lens serial number

Songyun
23-Apr-2010, 10:13
Does anyone know what is the latest serial number for Goerz am lens? I thought it was around 8*****, but just saw one with serial number much bigger than 8*****.

Steve Barber
23-Apr-2010, 14:38
I have a 12" Red Dot Artar, serial # 818xxx and another, an 8 1/4" which, if I remember correctly, is in the range of 822xxx, but I do not have it where I can check it for sure. Both are marked "C.P. GOERZ AM. OPT. CO." I do not remember ever seeing any that were higher than the 8xxxxx range with the AM marking.

Jan Pedersen
23-Apr-2010, 14:56
Believe i have one in the 83xxxx range and have seen one in the 84xxxx but not higher than that. Those with higher numbers have all been Schneider.

Songyun
23-Apr-2010, 16:40
Believe i have one in the 83xxxx range and have seen one in the 84xxxx but not higher than that. Those with higher numbers have all been Schneider.
Thanks, the one I saw must be a Schneider one. The serial number is > 2M.

Jan Pedersen
23-Apr-2010, 18:04
Yes, Schneider or Kern Dagor's i think start at 2M. I have only seen a few Schneider Artars and don't remember the serial numbers on those lenses.

Peter Spangenberg
24-Apr-2010, 07:49
I have a 14" Blue Dot Trigor with a 11xxxxx serial number marked "Goerz Optical Co. Inc." Not sure who made this one, but "Am" and "CP" have been dropped from the label.

John Schneider
24-Apr-2010, 08:50
In one of the last (if not the last) incarnations before being sold to Schneider of America, the lenses were marked "Goerz Optical Co. Inc." Mine so marked are in the 83x,xxx range. I believe that was when they were owned by Kollmorgen.

When Schneider of America bought the assets, they relabeled the remaining stock as merely "Dagor" and "Schneider Corp. of America" (see ebay 220566521515). I've seen carry-over Dagors in the 8000-8080 s/n range.."

When Schneider made new Dagors they subcontracted the production to Kern; these had low 2 million s/n's. Still later the Goerz assets were bought into the Schneider-Kreuznach fold and given 14 million s/n's along with the other Schneider lenses.

Robert Opheim
22-Oct-2014, 14:40
I have a dagor No. 829,7xx also with CP removed - It reads, "GOERZ OPTICAL CO. INC. DAGOR 8 1/4 IN. F:6.8" No.829,xxx" - This would seem also to be from the period that Kollmorgen had bought the lens company. Somewhere - probably on E-bay I saw an image of one with 84x,xxx but very a very low number.