PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to a World Without Quickloads

Brian Vuillemenot
22-Apr-2010, 19:31
I've been using Quickloads solely for my 4X5 photography for almost a decade, and now that it looks like they are going the way of the dinosaurs I'm trying to figure out what to do. A number of options come to mind:

1) Do nothing, as Fuji will surely bring back Quickloads once everyone stocks up

2) Buy as many remaining boxes of Quickloads as I can afford/store, and re-asses the situation in 5-10 years when they run out

3) Switch to conventional film holders, and hope 4X5 color transparency film will be made for the next few decades

4) Ditch film altogether, and just stitch together lots of digital SLR shots to get high-res files for printing

This isn't meant to be yet another "When will film die?" type of thread, but I'm curious to know what the others who shoot a lot of Quickloads are planning on doing once they're gone. Thanks!

Andrew O'Neill
22-Apr-2010, 20:30
Stock up. Buy a few conventional holders too. Just don't go to option #4 because Fuji will just give up anyway if you do.

vinny
22-Apr-2010, 20:32
man up, load some holders. Ain't that hard.

Robert Hughes
22-Apr-2010, 20:35
Quick whats? :confused:

Never seen one. Won't miss them.

Robbie Shymanski
22-Apr-2010, 20:40
2. 3. 4.

But more 3 and 4.

I just got yelled at today for mentioning that I was still working with film and paper.

Heroique
22-Apr-2010, 21:26
I’m hoping for [1], doing [2], planning for [3], and wincing at [4].

If it comes to [4] or nothing, I might take-up drawing.

And write more protest songs.

J D Clark
22-Apr-2010, 21:52
As someone who was using TMAX 100 in Readyloads nearly exclusively, I had to go through this already. This has been my operating plan so far:

1.) Stock up on about 10 boxes of Readyloads.

2.) Get out the film holders, and practice cleaning them out.

3.) Since I'm using film holders rather than be limited to the B&W film available in Readyloads (only TMAX 100), gain back 2 stops in film speed and begin to understand TMAX 400.

4.) Enjoy saving a couple bucks per sheet using film in holders versus Readyloads. Also, enjoy using film holders again -- having that "sail" from the Readyload out in the wind wasn't cool, and now have a handy sun shade with every exposure!

John Clark
www.johndclark.com

Preston
22-Apr-2010, 22:13
I have been using QL's for some time, so...

Hoping for #1. Doing #'s 2 and 3, hopefully never have to face #4.

I'm saving my QL's for those times when weight and bulk of standard holders won't fill the bill. Using standard holders again is actually pretty nice, and it wasn't difficult to get back in the groove with them.

--P

Sascha Welter
23-Apr-2010, 02:12
I just got yelled at today for mentioning that I was still working with film and paper.

I'm not working "still with film", I'm either working "again with film" or simply "working with film". No need to get a psychological fit on these things.

As for the original poster: I have never seen QuickLoads in real life. I can imagine that they are useful for traveling. Other than that, loading 4x5 is soooo easy.

Armin Seeholzer
23-Apr-2010, 03:37
I did 2. with readyloads and Quickloads but my freezer ist now filled up!
3+4 gets also in use!

Cheers Armin

Steve Hamley
23-Apr-2010, 04:45
I'm stocking up for hikes when weight matters, and shooting regular film holders when I don't have to carry things on my back. There are also Grafmatics, which save little weight but a lot of bulk over regular film holders.

But Robert Hughes certainly has a point. My favorite B&W emulsions have NEVER been available in packet film, so I figure I can do for color what I can do for B&W. And let's be honest - if you need to carry 10 pounds more, it isn't an issue if you lose ten of your own!

Cheers, Steve

Pete Roody
23-Apr-2010, 06:50
as Steve said. just use the QL's when you have to save weight (travel, long hikes, etc.). also, a good investment is a Harrison changing bag. 4x5 holders are cheap so buy allot.

BetterSense
23-Apr-2010, 06:54
People have been using conventional film holders for practically centuries. It's not the end of the world imo...

erie patsellis
23-Apr-2010, 11:08
I'd load in conventional film holders, but hedge your bets with a variation of #4, get your hands (beg, borrow, steal (not really...)) a Betterlight scan back and see if it fits with your sensibilities and aesthetic. Saves the whole stitiching issue and gives you real detail.

mrladewig
23-Apr-2010, 11:41
I'm trying to shoot regular holders when weight doesn't matter and keeping the QL/RL packets for hikes and travel. But then again, Its so darned convenient to have a mix of films available.

I'm also trying to stock up as much as I can afford.

Erich Hoeber
23-Apr-2010, 13:08
I dreaded giving up readyloads because of dust problems, but once I committed to film holders, I managed to learn how to deal. They sure were nice for travelling, though, and I've still got a few boxes of TMX in the freezer.

Kirk Gittings
23-Apr-2010, 13:10
To me this is a major loss. BUT the silver lining is since I end up carrying much less film, therefore I am more careful with what I shoot and save lots of dough.

Ivan J. Eberle
23-Apr-2010, 14:09
For those of us no longer doing conventional analog D/R printing, and especially not Ilfochrome, dust just isn't the issue going forward that it once was. For me the Quickload rationale has been convenience and getting film through TSA checkpoints without Xrays and just hand screening. I recently ordered some QL stocks to save this TSA use.

Because of Ektar, I've also been getting used to the workflow with Grafmatics. They're a bit more bother in a Photoflex Changing Room than they'd be in a proper darkroom but it's manageable. No dust problems.

Biggest gripe I've got with Grafmatics is if I'm sitting there with the darkslide pulled waiting for the peak of action or the sun to peek back out for an instant and it never does, I either waste a frame or have to remember what frame it was and to pull that septum aside during reloading. (Or else risk shuffling through the whole stack with good exposed frames that might get scratched or jammed or fogged).

David Woods
23-Apr-2010, 14:40
Amazing people worried about having to load their own film, or people worried about it's to heavy to take a few extra film holders on a hike.
Go to the gym or do some exercise daily to prepare yourself for hikes, you will be amazed how good you feel afterwards.
If your worried about the weight, take a change bag it might take time to change the film on location, but it saves on weight.

Dirk Rösler
23-Apr-2010, 15:17
I heard someone saying that they may bring back QL, haha, crazy isn't it? Mind you, there is no sign of discontinuation of QL in Japan, so rather than adjusting to a world without Quickload it may be adjusting to paying more for your Quickloads, which do you prefer?

goamules
23-Apr-2010, 15:21
Option 5: Make your own film (wetplate collodion or dryplate). But you won't want to hike with it!

Riverman
23-Apr-2010, 16:14
I invested in the Harrisson pup tent, some more darkslides and a few boxes of Acros (that I used to shoot in QL) and best of all - of Kodak Portra 400NC which is an absolutely fantastic film that (to my knowledge) was never available in Readyload.

I was worried about dust but it hasn't been a real problem. The changing tent is great and I've also got into the habit of always making two identical exposures for each shot (which I never bothered doing with QL). When I've had one frame with a dust spot I've been saved by the backup that luckily turned out clear.

Brian Vuillemenot
23-Apr-2010, 20:40
This whole Quickload situation has caused me to redo the price comparison calculation. I've been paying more than twice as much per sheet of Quickload than I could have gotten slightly out-of-date conventional film for! With all the savings over the past few years, that would probably buy a couple really sweet lenses! Looks like I'm switching to regular holders regardless of if they bring back QLs.

By the way, it's not the difficulty of loading conventional film holders or the weight of carrying them that drove me to using QLs- I do that all the time with my 8X10. Rather, it was the convenience of using QLs on multi-day, labor and travel intensive photo trips. On those, I'm usually up well before sunrise, hike around most of the day, and then shoot until dark. Getting back to camp at night, the last thing I want to have to do is load a bunch of film holders and worry about keeping track of which sheet is which...

Darren H
26-Apr-2010, 09:54
Brian, I am right there with you about Quickloads. As a color chrome landscape guy, it was always and only Quickloads for me. I always thought of handloading is nigh impossible in a place like Big Bend and did not want to ever do it. I was shocked and really disappointed when I heard the QL news. Then, as Dirk points out, the lack of definate answer from Fuji makes it worse.

So, I am sitting on about 300 sheets in the fridge and will make that last.

I also did the waht would have been unthinkable in December and figured out how to load a regular film holder. But now that I have and have a few holders I am going to do B+W with them and am going to sample the landscape with Efke 25. I'll probably just preload at home and only use what I have with me on location. It might not be much, but its a start.

That will keep me busy with both color and B+W and preps me for the post QL world.

BTW- I also hope that a Chinese company considers setting up a packet film. If one did I'd try 'em.

MITCH FALK
26-Apr-2010, 11:06
Its not only Quickloads, they also (to my surprise) just discontinued making 4x5 Velvia 50 sheetfilm.

I just got off the phone with a "Samy's" salesman - there down to the last few boxes.

domaz
26-Apr-2010, 13:24
For those of us no longer doing conventional analog D/R printing, and especially not Ilfochrome, dust just isn't the issue going forward that it once was. For me the Quickload rationale has been convenience and getting film through TSA checkpoints without Xrays and just hand screening. I recently ordered some QL stocks to save this TSA use.

Why worry about the TSA? I've had no problems taking loaded film holders and boxes of film through checkpoints. They have never asked to open any of them. If your paranoid just take factory sealed film boxes and ship all your used sheets home via Ground shipping. International may be more an issue but domestic is a non-issue.

vinny
26-Apr-2010, 13:30
Its not only Quickloads, they also (to my surprise) just discontinued making 4x5 Velvia 50 sheetfilm.

I just got off the phone with a "Samy's" salesman - there down to the last few boxes.

that's bullshit. Don't start another rumor because of some shit the no it all at Samy's told you. If you want some, go to badgergraphic.com and order some.

MITCH FALK
26-Apr-2010, 13:44
its no BS, I wish it were.

It just disappeared from the Adorama site as well, I'll try Badger next.

MITCH FALK
26-Apr-2010, 13:55
Thanks for the Badger tip, just ordered some.

MITCH FALK
26-Apr-2010, 13:59
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/512069-REG/Fujifilm_15757579_RVP_4_x_5_.html

Colleen K
26-Apr-2010, 14:13
I remember in an earlier thread there was information that Velvia 50 (and some other films) was being changed from 10 sheet boxes to 20 sheet boxes. Hopefully that is what is going on rather than the film itself being discontinued.

Colleen

MITCH FALK
26-Apr-2010, 14:24
Thanks Colleen

Dirk Rösler
26-Apr-2010, 18:39
I remember in an earlier thread there was information that Velvia 50 (and some other films) was being changed from 10 sheet boxes to 20 sheet boxes. Hopefully that is what is going on rather than the film itself being discontinued.

Colleen

That is about loose sheets. QL always comes in boxes of 20.

dsphotog
26-Apr-2010, 19:37
I'm not really too sad since Quickload & Readyload were never made for 8x10 & 5x7 anyway.

jrshupper
27-Apr-2010, 07:28
Well, I've been using Quickloads for a long time and really liked them. Love Fuji Acros. But I apparently missed the 'memo' about the Readyload/Quickload discontinuation!!! Thus I never stocked up. What a mistake! So.. I am back to loading holders and carrying more weight in terms of all those holders. But, the good news is,( like others have mentioned), it is nice to have some other great films again to use (always been a big fan of FP4).

Don't suppose anyone out there would know of a source for more Quickloads??--probably a dumb question right now--I mean who is going to give out that info if your hoarding your own stock??

John
www.johnshuptrine.com

Colleen K
27-Apr-2010, 08:03
That is about loose sheets. QL always comes in boxes of 20.

Yes, I know. I was responding to the post before mine inquiring about the 10 sheet box of sheet film being listed as discontinued on B&H.

Armin Seeholzer
27-Apr-2010, 10:37
Don't suppose anyone out there would know of a source for more Quickloads??--probably a dumb question right now--I mean who is going to give out that info if your hoarding your own stock??

B&H had still some when I was looking 2-3 weeks ago!!!!

Gordon Moat
2-May-2010, 22:34
#5 - Get a 6x12 rollfilm back and use medium format 120 rollfilm.

Anyway, I have stocked up on some great condition used Linhof double darks 4x5 holders, and I suppose when my current refrigerator content of Quickloads and Readyloads runs out, then I will get regular loose 4x5 film.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)