PDA

View Full Version : W. Schiller Lens St. Louis?

MacChris
22-Apr-2010, 18:17
Anyone out there ever heard of a lensmaker named W. Schiller of St. Louis? Have here two brass lenses named "Perfection wide angle", one for 5x7, other 8x10. Thanks.

lenser
22-Apr-2010, 18:31
W. Schiller and Co. is the largest photo store in St. Louis and has been there for many decades. You might call them and ask for Bob Hansen. He has been with them for many, many years and might have some background information or know who to ask. If Bob isn't available, try to talk to Andrew miller. He is part of the lineage who founded Schillers way back when and he may also be able to help.

I have a similar little brass wide angle that is branded from Dury Camera in Nashville. Apparently, tis was a common practice to have lenses purchased and engraved as a house item from a common manufacturer.

cdholden
22-Apr-2010, 19:28
Dury's branded lenses? Hah!
Unless it fits on a DSLR, they will probably deny any knowledge.
They still sell film, but don't expect much. Most of the film they have on the shelf or in the cooler (unplugged) was expired when I was there a couple of months ago. The bad part is they still price is at a premium. They had a few boxes of Veripan in 8x10 that expired in 1991. When asking a price out of curiosity, they offered me a 10% discount since it is expired. $90+
Chris

(apologies for the off topic rant!)

lenser
22-Apr-2010, 21:53
Chris,

I've got a kid that lives in Kentucky, about an hour away from Nashville. I was going to drive down and see Dury's the next time I go to visit her, but from your post, it sounds like it may not be worth the effort. No used film cameras or anything else of interest outside of digital? Does that mean the only place worth visiting for photographers is Paul C. Buff? No other camera stores?

Thanks for the heads up.

Tim

RandyB
27-Apr-2010, 16:14
Just up the street from Buff's is Photographic Systems, they are very small and do carry some used equipment. They are open only M_F 9 to 5ish. I try to stop in when I'm in town during the week. If you do go to Dury's, be sure to stop by Chromatics lab, a few blocks away on Fogg st. They usually have a display area upstairs showcasing local talent, always worth the effort to see. They are open M-F 9-5.