PDA

View Full Version : Soft, but Not-So-Soft; Ross Xpres & Gundlach Hyperion

Jim Galli
19-Apr-2010, 21:58
Things have been slow in old Tonopah since the big Workshop last fall. Here's a page (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Campbells/wKevinCrisp/CampbellsKrisp.html) of 5 new images done in the 'soft, and creamy smooth' style.

After working with some of the worlds best and softest lenses, I've enjoyed taking a step backwards. These aren't soft in the traditional style like a Pinkham Smith lens delivers, but I'm loving the smoothness.

The 12" Ross lens was quite literally a "value added" throw away. I had bought an English Kodak 6.5X8.5 2D and the fellow threw the Ross in because the aperture is completely missing, and the original post war coating was all mottled and boogered. As far as value, worthless. However I discovered it's quite easy to modify the front group like the Wolly Velostigmat diffusion lens. Then the challenge is to find planes where you can make the non-alterable f4.5 work for you. I think it has a grand look. Especially for a worthless lens.

Jehu
20-Apr-2010, 14:53
Outstanding!

eddie
20-Apr-2010, 18:06
damn!

i got come shoot with you! you got the best places, best lenses, best technique and a great vision!

well done, as usual.

Jim Galli
20-Apr-2010, 18:14
Outstanding!

damn!

i got come shoot with you! you got the best places, best lenses, best technique and a great vision!

well done, as usual.

Thanks! Come on down. JG

Jehu
20-Apr-2010, 18:57
I must return to the kingdom of Nye to visit the maker of good coffee and impressive photographs... commander of shih-tzus and master of really big brass lenses.

eddie
21-Apr-2010, 03:26
Thanks! Come on down. JG

on my way.... you have been warned...:eek:

russyoung
21-Apr-2010, 04:54
Jim-

Next to the Kodak 305mm, my 12 inch Gundlach Hyperion is my next-favorite soft focus lens. I have three different versions including one made by the Siebold Invisible Camera Co. (they made bank surveillance cameras). Some of their literature stated that it could be separated like a Verito...

Like the Kodak (and unlike the Semi-Achromatic, Struss Pictorial, etc.) it was easy to learn to use.

Russ Young

Miguel Coquis
21-Apr-2010, 12:37
... small contribution, from my atelier in Paris
:)
small lens,
small Graflex...

http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/April/serre-joints.jpg
4x5 negative, cropped
dev +1 1/2

Jim Galli
21-Apr-2010, 12:47
Jim-

Next to the Kodak 305mm, my 12 inch Gundlach Hyperion is my next-favorite soft focus lens. I have three different versions including one made by the Siebold Invisible Camera Co. (they made bank surveillance cameras). Some of their literature stated that it could be separated like a Verito...

Like the Kodak (and unlike the Semi-Achromatic, Struss Pictorial, etc.) it was easy to learn to use.

Russ Young

Hi Russ. I love the Hyperion's. They're hard to find and almost always have some balsam trouble. Yes, they were actually triple convertibles / non symmetrical doublets.

... small contribution, from my atelier in Paris
:)
small lens,
small Graflex...

http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/April/serre-joints.jpg
4x5 negative, cropped
dev +1 1/2

Beautiful, as always Miguel. jg

ziplock122949
16-May-2011, 01:44
Nice shots. I really like the feel of these images, perfect black and white.

Asher Kelman
16-May-2011, 14:30
Things have been slow in old Tonopah since the big Workshop last fall. Here's a page (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Campbells/wKevinCrisp/CampbellsKrisp.html) of 5 new images done in the 'soft, and creamy smooth' style.

After working with some of the worlds best and softest lenses, I've enjoyed taking a step backwards. These aren't soft in the traditional style like a Pinkham Smith lens delivers, but I'm loving the smoothness.

The 12" Ross lens was quite literally a "value added" throw away. I had bought an English Kodak 6.5X8.5 2D and the fellow threw the Ross in because the aperture is completely missing, and the original post war coating was all mottled and boogered. As far as value, worthless. However I discovered it's quite easy to modify the front group like the Wolly Velostigmat diffusion lens. Then the challenge is to find planes where you can make the non-alterable f4.5 work for you. I think it has a grand look. Especially for a worthless lens.

The five new images remind me each of drinks I'm asked to taste: all aged rare wines, each with its own aura. Although I enjoy each one, I'm not yet expert enough to recognize which comes from where!

Still, it's all superb work and inspiring.

Asher