PDA

View Full Version : What to pay for a new Arca Discovery?

Timthefin
19-Apr-2010, 14:03
I have a change to buy a new Arca-Swiss 4x5 Discovery from a dealer and he wants me to set the price tag? Any ideas? The camera is never used and comes with the original bag and lensboard.

BradS
19-Apr-2010, 14:49
I have a change to buy a new Arca-Swiss 4x5 Discovery from a dealer and he wants me to set the price tag? Any ideas? The camera is never used and comes with the original bag and lensboard.

iirc, they used to sell for something like $1400 or $1800...I certainly would not pay that much for one now...no matter the condition.

John Schneider
19-Apr-2010, 14:52
The last time I saw a Discovery on KEH (used, of course) it was in the $8-900 range

Timthefin
19-Apr-2010, 22:06
Many thanks. I sometimes get tired of the very limited adjustment possibilities that I have on my 4x5 field, 8x10 that I have weights often too much to carry around. Was thinking of buying a light weight view like the Arca.

Here's how the things look like here over at the Åland Islands right now. ( Actually a week ago).

Timthefin

http://web.me.com/timthefin

Daniel Stone
22-Apr-2010, 19:25
look at them used. I used an arca(friend's) and he has had it for close to 20 years(its not a discovery, but an earlier silver/black model). Great cameras, very flexible in terms of functionality, and quite light, even for backpacking or extended day-walks.

there are enough of them out there that there shouldn't be any trouble with locating one in great condition used for 7-900 dollars US.

if you can touch it, even better. Ebay is a great source for arca swiss, but the user base for arca gear is small, and generally a dedicated bunch, so they're willing to pay higher prices(generally) that one would think for used, good condition gear.

-Dan

raizans
23-Apr-2010, 18:42
i've seen them go for $700-950 on ebay. the lowest price was for one in near mint condition, so the price is quite flexible.