PDA

View Full Version : Petzval lens for portraits

David Luttmann
19-Apr-2010, 11:40
I’m looking for some input as to options. I’ve recently been viewing a number of portraits made with a 4x5 View Camera and a number of different Petzval type lenses. I’m loving the swirling OOF areas in the prints. After a bit of searching, I’ve been able to find many of the lenses….but none mounted to lens boards with a shutter.

Being of somewhat limited mechanical and engineering ability (aka….none!), I’m wondering if anyone has a source they have found for these lenses, mounted, with shutter? Or, if any one of you are selling one, I’d be happy to check it out as well.

Oh, and pretend for a moment that I know nothing about these lenses ;-)

Thanks.

eddie
19-Apr-2010, 15:20
most are too big for shutters. some can be used with a packard shutter...even front mounted.

just resign yourself to the fact that you will have to find other means for a shutter.....i do not let it stop me from shooting petzval lenses...

if nothing else works for you take up wet plate collodion. no shutter needed.

Lachlan 717
19-Apr-2010, 15:34
David,

I started off buying a Horseman L-Series 4x5 and a Sinar shutter. This allows much, much wider (and more accurate) shutter speeds than either the black hat or Packard methods.

Since then, I have had Shen Hao make me a field camer that accepts Sinar bellows/lens boards for a much lighter and portable system.

Search my threads if you want to see it in practice; there are some photos with one of my Petzvals attached.

Lachlan 717
19-Apr-2010, 15:40
David,

I'll save you the search. Here it is:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57638

(Sorry; couldn't get the hyperlink to work from my iPhone...)

Armin Seeholzer
19-Apr-2010, 15:40
Yes the Sinar/Copal behind the lens shutter is the way to go, in my opinion!

Cheers Armin

David Luttmann
19-Apr-2010, 15:49
Guess I do have some reading up to do. I'm going to make a go of it as I simply love the look from these lenses.

Thanks for the posts so far.....I'll see what I can come up with, and if when I do, I'll post some samples.

Thanks everyone!

Jim Galli
19-Apr-2010, 16:45
Or this old monster (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=61488) and look for a Speed Graphic with a working focal plane shutter. The focal plane shutters can get 1/1000th second.

Nothing about these lenses is very civilized. Sinar's are respectable I guess. Speed Graphics with old theatre camera lenses hot glued to a wood lens board.....are not.

eddie
19-Apr-2010, 16:49
all the same lens.

1st shot with strobes. second shot on collodion. third with my "hat" at infinity.

same petzval lens. 3 "shutters"

Oren Grad
19-Apr-2010, 17:00
Many of the Petzvals that are suitable for 4x5 are small enough to accept one of the smaller (i.e., more common) sizes of the Luc shutter on the front.

That's what I've done - bought a small Petzval with flange from Prof. Galli himself, had SK Grimes drill a Technika board and mount the flange, then dusted off my Luc shutter and added it to the front. Looks wacky, but that's all in the spirit of the game anyway, and it provides a useful instantaneous speed as well as more convenient handling for time exposures compared to using a lens cap or waving a hat.

David Luttmann
27-Apr-2010, 14:00
Many of the Petzvals that are suitable for 4x5 are small enough to accept one of the smaller (i.e., more common) sizes of the Luc shutter on the front.

That's what I've done - bought a small Petzval with flange from Prof. Galli himself, had SK Grimes drill a Technika board and mount the flange, then dusted off my Luc shutter and added it to the front. Looks wacky, but that's all in the spirit of the game anyway, and it provides a useful instantaneous speed as well as more convenient handling for time exposures compared to using a lens cap or waving a hat.

Have you got a pic of that setup Oren? Sounds awesome!