PDA

View Full Version : Expired films

igore
19-Apr-2010, 11:04
Hi !

I got a few pcs. of expired films some Tmax 100 (5 years), a few even 10 years over, and a few pcs. of Provia 100 2 years over and Extacroma 100 also 1o years over.
Films have been kept in fridge all the time.
What can I expect from them, any idea.
I got them for free, so no harm there, I would gues they would be good for experimenting, but would like to know what approximatelly to expect.

BarryS
19-Apr-2010, 11:37
Slow black and white film in the fridge should be fine--maybe a little higher base fog. The Provia should look pretty good--probably indistinguishable from new. The Ektachrome is probably color shifted a bit, but would still be usable--especially since you can easily correct a small color shift.

igore
20-Apr-2010, 12:30
Thanks for the info. I will let you know how it goes.

David Woods
20-Apr-2010, 19:30
Hi

Just on this subject, can anyone tell me if you put the film in the freezer, can film be stored for any length of time.

David

mrladewig
20-Apr-2010, 19:39
Hi

Just on this subject, can anyone tell me if you put the film in the freezer, can film be stored for any length of time.

David

Not indefinitely but it greatly expands the usable life. The colder, the better. However, many have commented that once removed from the freezer (years after expiration), the life is much shorter than what was remaining when it was placed into the freezer. I've never left film on the shelf this long, so I've not experienced this situation myself.

For example, if a film was bought in 1998 with an expiry date of 2001 it would have three years of shelf life remaining. If removed from the freezer in 2006, it would no longer have a 3 year shelf life without color shift. It may be only a year or 6 months (hard to say). But immediately when brought out the of the freezer, it should shoot as new.

David Woods
20-Apr-2010, 20:11
Not indefinitely but it greatly expands the usable life. The colder, the better. However, many have commented that once removed from the freezer (years after expiration), the life is much shorter than what was remaining when it was placed into the freezer. I've never left film on the shelf this long, so I've not experienced this situation myself.

For example, if a film was bought in 1998 with an expiry date of 2001 it would have three years of shelf life remaining. If removed from the freezer in 2006, it would no longer have a 3 year shelf life without color shift. It may be only a year or 6 months (hard to say). But immediately when brought out the of the freezer, it should shoot as new.

Does coloue shift stop one the film is exposed or only when processed

vinny
20-Apr-2010, 20:34
I processed some 8x10 kodak epp today which expired in 1990. No shift, no base fog.
I processed some ektachrome 64 from 1988 yesterday and there was a fair amount of base fog but no obvious color shift. Your film isn't old, yet.

mrladewig
21-Apr-2010, 09:36
Does coloue shift stop one the film is exposed or only when processed

It sort of stops the shift when developed, or at least the development process locks in the color at that point. Developed color holds much longer than unexposed color film. But keep in mind that developed color films do fade over time too. There is evidence that storing developed color film at sub zero temperatures also slows its rate of degradation.

However keep in mind that color films have a shelf life of probably 3-5 years prior to development, but most films are stable once developed for better than 50 years at this time. So there is a big scale of difference between the stability of the developed emulsion versus the undeveloped/unexposed emulsion.

And like Vinny stated, if stored well, you could have some film last a very long time if properly stored. On the other hand, I've got some Provia that expired in late 2004 where there is some color shift developing. I bought it without knowledge of the storage condition.