PDA

View Full Version : Pictorialism Revisited Thanks to Amazing Book

Richard K.
17-Apr-2010, 16:09
When I was younger and just starting out in photography, I instantly fell in with the f/64 sharp focus Weston Adams paradigm and mocked the (what I saw as) pretensions of the Pictorialist movement. I'm still not a fan of the faked death scenes and other theatrical constructions but I've definitely done a rethink on landscapes softly rendered. Their soft, ethereal, glowy quality is often more in keeping with the emotion one feels at the scene than a more clinical sharp rendering can provide. All of this revelation thanks to the book "Truth Beauty: Pictorialism and the Photograph as Art, 1845 -1945". Sadly this may now be out of print, but I recommend it highly.

Anyone else have a change of appreciation after seeing this book? Comments?

I think this and the fantastic "The Photographs of Frederick H. Evans" (only $33.75 at Amazon) are two of the best books published in recent years.

sanking
18-Apr-2010, 13:21
When I was younger and just starting out in photography, I instantly fell in with the f/64 sharp focus Weston Adams paradigm and mocked the (what I saw as) pretensions of the Pictorialist movement. I'm still not a fan of the faked death scenes and other theatrical constructions but I've definitely done a rethink on landscapes softly rendered. Their soft, ethereal, glowy quality is often more in keeping with the emotion one feels at the scene than a more clinical sharp rendering can provide. All of this revelation thanks to the book "Truth Beauty: Pictorialism and the Photograph as Art, 1845 -1945". Sadly this may now be out of print, but I recommend it highly.

I think this and the fantastic "The Photographs of Frederick H. Evans" (only $33.75 at Amazon) are two of the best books published in recent years.

Richard,

If that is the direction you want to go with your photography I could have saved you a lot of money by selling you a pinhole and zone plate lens for your 18X22" camera.

Sandy

Hugo Zhang
18-Apr-2010, 14:13
Richard,

If that is the direction you want to go with your photography I could have saved you a lot of money by selling you a pinhole and zone plate lens for your 18X22" camera.

Sandy

And I will be first in line for that 550mm ssxl fine art lens. :)

Richard K.
18-Apr-2010, 14:27
Sheesh guys, one CAN do both!:D
By way of explanation, I like BIG negs sharp and sometimes the smaller ones (WP, 7x11) soft and ethereal and glowy,,, :)

Big soft ones...no.:eek:

So you're going to have to wait a while Hugo!:)

Darin Boville
18-Apr-2010, 14:44
>>two of the best books published in recent years<<

I have the Evans book...hmmm...what do you thunk is the other "best book in recent years?"

--Darin

Richard K.
18-Apr-2010, 16:02
>>two of the best books published in recent years<<

I have the Evans book...hmmm...what do you thunk is the other "best book in recent years?"

--Darin

Truth Beauty: Pictorialism and the Photograph as Art, 1845 -1945

Of course these are just my tiny opinion...:)

I also like "The Book of 101 Books" by Roth, a LE copy of which I'm trying without much luck to eBay...

Bill_1856
18-Apr-2010, 16:10
The "Pictoralism" book is $99 -- that's out of my league. I just bought the Evans book and was disappointed by the reproductions. It's not that they're bad, but they're not even as good as the Aperture book on Evans published a few years ago. I expected better from more modern printing techniques.

Mike Anderson
18-Apr-2010, 16:11
Richard,

Sandy

I use a digital point-n-shoot and a Photoshop Pictorialism filter - just slide the slider all the way to the right and your done! :)

...Mike

Darin Boville
18-Apr-2010, 21:46
Truth Beauty: Pictorialism and the Photograph as Art, 1845 -1945

Of course these are just my tiny opinion...:)

I also like "The Book of 101 Books" by Roth, a LE copy of which I'm trying without much luck to eBay...

Oh, sorry, right. Duh. That will teach me to just skim posts...

--Darin

paulr
18-Apr-2010, 22:45
Soft-focussed images have always been around under one guise or another. But soft doesn't automatically equal pictorialism. Fuzziness is just a marker of what's central to pictorialism; it isn't itself the central idea.

Michael Alpert
19-Apr-2010, 09:41

Richard,

I don't have the Pictorialism book, so I cannot comment on it. I can say, however, that the question is not if those turn-of-the-twentieth-century photographers did fine artistic work (on their own terms, they did) but if we can live as artists within the confines of their world. The last century has changed the basic aesthetic assumptions of our culture. So the innocence needed for Pictorialism now seems missing, and Pictorialist photographs seem more decorative than meaningful. I don't have the answer to this problem (if it is a problem), but I think my hesitancy is at least worth considering.

About the Evans book. I think the reproductions are fine. Reproductions of platinum prints will only come out as sharp as silver prints with a lot of Photoshop intervention. So I disagree with the assessment made in a previous post. However, I think book was written in a doggedly academic manner. Evans' careful photographs of empty, pensive cathedrals are highly suggestive to twenty-first-century viewers in ways that the photographer may not have had originally in mind. This question of the place of the photographs today is not explored, and the book never rises above a simple factual account of Evans' life.

csant
19-Apr-2010, 13:48
the question is not if those turn-of-the-twentieth-century photographers did fine artistic work (on their own terms, they did) but if we can live as artists within the confines of their world.

We cannot. Wholeheartedly agree with you on that. But can we live within the confines of the f64 world? I'd doubt that in equal measure. If you say that "Pictorialist photographs seem more decorative than meaningful", then let me counterbalance with "f64 photographs seem rather sterile and uninspired". Both statements make little sense in their generalization, and if applicable to some photographs taken in that style, certainly do not apply to the masterpieces of either.

Michael Alpert
20-Apr-2010, 08:49
We cannot. Wholeheartedly agree with you on that. But can we live within the confines of the f64 world? I'd doubt that in equal measure. If you say that "Pictorialist photographs seem more decorative than meaningful", then let me counterbalance with "f64 photographs seem rather sterile and uninspired". Both statements make little sense in their generalization, and if applicable to some photographs taken in that style, certainly do not apply to the masterpieces of either.

Yes. I agree with you completely. Thank you for reining in my generalization.

russyoung
26-Apr-2010, 04:54
First I called the museum where the show is currently to obtain a book - no luck, they were out but call the originating museum they said. So I called Vancouver and they had three copies - for an astounding $150 each (given that the cover price is marked as $60) "since it was out of print." Reeks of a scam to me, given that the book is new and the exhibition stil has one more venue to go-

Found a copy on Amazon for "just" $100 and ordered it. I find the reproduction quality lacking - badly. Perhaps ten of those images have been held in my hands and the repro is way too dark and too contrasty. I intuit from other photographers' images that I have seen that their images in the book are also too dark and too contrasty.

The text on Japan and Australia is enlightening but the book isn't worth much for the images therein.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

Russ Young

russyoung
26-Apr-2010, 04:55
First I called the museum where the show is currently to obtain a book - no luck, they were out but call the originating museum they said. So I called Vancouver and they had three copies - for an astounding $150 each (given that the cover price is marked as $60) "since it was out of print." Reeks of a scam to me, given that the book is brand new and the exhibition still has one more venue to go-

Found a copy on Amazon for "just" $100 and ordered it. I find the reproduction quality lacking - badly. Perhaps ten of those images have been held in my hands and the repro is way too dark and too contrasty. I intuit from other photographers' images that I have seen that their images in the book are also too dark and too contrasty.

The text on Japan and Australia is enlightening but the book isn't worth much for the images therein.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

Russ Young

Chauncey Walden
27-Apr-2010, 08:39
Pick up a used copy of Pictorialism in California: Photographs 1900-1940. Another good one. Sandy, the trouble with pinholes and zone plates is that they aren't f/5;-)

bigdog
27-Apr-2010, 11:02
http://www.mcnayart.org/

The website says: A richly illustrated 160-page color catalogue, TruthBeauty: Pictorialism and the Photograph as Art, 1845-1945, edited by Thomas Padon, is available at the Museum Store. $60.00/$54.00 for members

I'm going to see this next week. I'll let y'all know.

russyoung
17-May-2010, 04:39
David-

Yes, that's what the web site says - but not what the lady in their store says!

Give us a review on the show, please.

Russ

csant
17-May-2010, 08:01
If anybody has a copy of that book… I am looking for it (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=62196). :)

bigdog
17-May-2010, 13:17
David-

Yes, that's what the web site says - but not what the lady in their store says!

Give us a review on the show, please.

Russ

http://www.mcnayart.org/

The website says: A richly illustrated 160-page color catalogue, TruthBeauty: Pictorialism and the Photograph as Art, 1845-1945, edited by Thomas Padon, is available at the Museum Store. $60.00/$54.00 for members

I'm going to see this next week. I'll let y'all know.

Sorry that I didn't follow up on this. As I posted in the other thread asking about this book, I visited this show and was told the book is out of print. When I contacted the source in Vancouver, was told she had two copies at some price I've forgotten. It was too much.

The show itself is very good. My wife is a graphic artist/illustrator and she was inspired. She is actually the one that wanted the catalogue. I'm more in the "f64" camp ... ;)

I saw the Brett Weston show in Oklahoma City (in 2008?) and bought the catalogue for $25. IIRC, I've read on the 'net that this show is still touring but this book, too, is out of print. I know publishers are conservative these days, but when does supply vs. demand kick in?

Michael S
22-May-2010, 08:26
In my opinion no library of pictorial photography would be complete without "Camera Work, The Complete Photographs" attributed to Alfred Stieglitz and published by Taschen. My copy cost me $15.00 (new) at Powell's bookstore. It is without a doubt one of the most beautiful collections of pictorial photography in existence, and you can't beat that price.