PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao Fresnel Too Many Layers?

Lawrence Ober
17-Apr-2010, 08:51
I recently bought a used Shen Hao HZX45-IIA and, subsequently, ordered a fresnel lens from Badger. Not knowing the full history of this camera I wonder if I have too many pieces. I've been out of large format for quite a while so this may all be normal.

The camera has a ground glass (with grid marks) and a clear cover glass. I placed the fresnel lens in the cut out closest to the taking lens. This was a little tricky in that it was difficult to differentiate the cut side of the fresnel - it was MUCH finer than I remember from generations past. Anyway the fresnel side (I hope) is facing out and against the frosted side of the ground glass. Finally, the clear cover glass. I do not recall a three piece focusing screen sandwich on cameras from my past. Is this correct? I can't test it for focus with film for a few more weeks (waiting for some darkroom bits and pieces to arrive).

Thanks, in advance, for any comments.

Joanna Carter
17-Apr-2010, 09:53
The order of things should be:

1. Lens

2. GG screen

3. Fresnel

4. Cover glass

Mike Snider
17-Apr-2010, 10:02
I also own a Shen Hao and bought a fresnel from Badger Graphics. Based upon your post, I'm not sure if the after market fresnel came with two or three pieces so please bear with me.

1. The ground glass that came with the camera was one piece. The ground glass faces the taking lens and smooth side faces the user. It cannot be used with the after-market fresnel so I just saved it as a back up.
2. The Badger Graphics fresnel came in two pieces. One has a ground glass on one side and a fresnel on the other. The second piece is clear on both sides although one side has grid lines painted on. The fresnel piece goes in first with the ground glass facing the taking lens and the fresnel facing the user. The clear piece goes over the first. I put the grid lines facing the taking lens to they don't wear off in use.
3. If your Badger Graphics fresnel came with three pieces then your on your own!

There was a similar post awhile back called "My shen hao ground glass rattles". This sounds similar. Hope this helps.

Mike Snider

Lawrence Ober
17-Apr-2010, 12:49
This sounds like the Crown Graphic I used to have with an Ektalite fresnel. The Shen Hao appears to have an indent to allow the fresnel in position (2) with the ground glass in position (3) in order for it to remain in the original plane of focus.

Larry

The order of things should be:

1. Lens

2. GG screen

3. Fresnel

4. Cover glass

Lawrence Ober
17-Apr-2010, 12:55
Sounds like I'm "on my own" or need to call Badger. The setup as I bought it was two pieces - ground glass with etched grid lines and clear glass cover.

The fresnel from badger was a single piece of plastic, smooth on one side and fresnel on the other - no ground surface. Using both the fresnel and original ground glass appears to leave the ground glass in the original plane of focus. There's a slight indentation to allow the fresnel to sit closer to the taking lens under the ground glass. Now, it's the clear glass that appears superfluous.

Larry

I also own a Shen Hao and bought a fresnel from Badger Graphics. Based upon your post, I'm not sure if the after market fresnel came with two or three pieces so please bear with me.

1. The ground glass that came with the camera was one piece. The ground glass faces the taking lens and smooth side faces the user. It cannot be used with the after-market fresnel so I just saved it as a back up.
2. The Badger Graphics fresnel came in two pieces. One has a ground glass on one side and a fresnel on the other. The second piece is clear on both sides although one side has grid lines painted on. The fresnel piece goes in first with the ground glass facing the taking lens and the fresnel facing the user. The clear piece goes over the first. I put the grid lines facing the taking lens to they don't wear off in use.
3. If your Badger Graphics fresnel came with three pieces then your on your own!

There was a similar post awhile back called "My shen hao ground glass rattles". This sounds similar. Hope this helps.

Mike Snider